Right to left language In Rise

Nov 17, 2016

Hi

I am developing courses in Arabic Language. I just started using Articulate 360. I tried to add content using Rise. I could add Arabic text, but I faced many issues.

1. Numbering and bullet list come left the text. As Arabic is a right-to-left language, it should be right.
  2. Text alignment also is left to right
  3. Navigation Bar is left
  4. No Arabic fonts available, I could only use the default one.

Could anyone help me solve the problem?

Regards

Sheikh Maawiya

138 Replies
Saul Jacobs
Stefan @ smartspokes

Any news on RTL? Does it work in rise now?

We have developed a post-publishing tool to localize all Rise content, menu, navigation etc, to support Right to Left languages. It allows you to enter all content in Hebrew/Arabic and then literally with one click it publishes the RTL version. You can email me for further details saul@ilearn-group.com 

Dominik Ginthier

Hi,

RTL change can be done pretty easy and does not take very long to do. Here are the steps needed for xAPI format, probably Scorm works similar:

1) Export course from Rise

2) Unzip the downloaded file

3) Locate the "index.html" file and open it for editing

3.1) Change the <HTML> tag:

from    :  <html lang="en" class="">

to      :  <html lang="ar" class="" dir="rtl">   <== Arabic

or to   :  <html lang="he" class="" dir="rtl">   <== Hebrew

3.2) Save and close the "index.html" file

4) Locate one or more css files in "lib/rise" folder and open it for editing (usually there are two)

4.1) Copy all its content

4.2) Put it INPUT pane on https://rtlcss.com/playground/#

4.3) Copy the content of the OUTPUT pane

4.4) Replace content of the original css file

4.5) Save and close

5) Compress the folder to create an edited copy of the zip file

We use this process for years and it works quite well.

Best,
Dominik

Dominik Ginthier

Hi Phil,

Thank you for your feedback. The method I described works really well and it takes not even 5 minutes per module to modify it. In the end everyone has to decide which method works best for themselves. It would be fantastic, if you developed an even better solution.

I am happy to test your solution as well. It is always good to improve existing processes. 

Best regards,
Dominik

Cambria Russell

I'm sorry - I'm not an app developer so I don't understand the options that are presented here fully - but we were also planning to leave the course on the Articulate App because it will need to be updated periodically. Is there a solution available? It's unacceptable to me that Articulate advertises itself as handling multiple languages easily and can't handle the fourth most commonly-spoken language in the world.  

Therese White

Right there with you.  I am interested in all the clickable checkboxes and nav menu displaying correctly, and what about flashcards - am guessing those would need to be set up manually, if there are several involed.  Also, was reviewing css in the past, though wondering if we could get the coding, rather than going to AI

Phil Foss

Hi Ryan, I maintain a css file that has about 200 lines of code as of this morning, but I'm hesitant to put the code out there as every course I've converted required additional custom care (everyone has different content), and Rise rolls in updates about every 2 weeks or so, and their new code dos not take RTL in mind. Good news I've got fully rtl audio/video controls, matching quiz, and process block. These required custom care, beyond the regular text alignment css.

RTL support for Rise 360 courses