Rise 360 create new window for link not tab

Jun 06, 2019

Hi

I am using the button stack, linked to a webpage in Rise and it works well, but when I close the tab to return to my module it closes the module and goes back to the LMS where I click to begin the module. How do I create a new window so that I can just close it and return to the module where I left off?

5 Replies
Karl Muller

As you have discovered, using a button / button stack provides one-way navigation only to the destination.

There is no easy way to get back to the where you left off (where the button stack is located) besides using manual navigation to return to this point. . 

You also can't open a new window for this purpose as a LMS typically doesn't allow two instances (sessions) of the same course being open at the same time for the same student.

mikki herbold

Hi 

Thank you for your reply. I am a little confused, the button selection I used(sorry, not the button stack) says I can use it for a URL, which I did and when I view it as a preview or by sharing it out to other people, it works beautifully. I click the url button, it takes me out to the web and then I close the web tab at top and I am back to the spot where the button is there and continue on to the rest of the module. But when I published it to our LMS and click the url button when I am finished viewing the page in the web, it closes the module. Do you know why this is happening in published and not preview or shared?

Thanks

Mikki

Alyssa Gomez

Hey, Mikki!

It sounds like you're seeing different behavior in Preview and in the LMS. Does this summarize what you're seeing?

• In Preview, clicking the button opens the URL in a new tab.
  • In the LMS, clicking the button opens the URL in the same tab, on top of the Rise 360 course.

In both scenarios, are you viewing the content in the same web browser?

mikki herbold

In preview it opens in a new tab and I can close the new tab which takes me back to the spot where I opened the url in  module

In the LMS the url opens in new tab but when I close it it doesn't take me back to the spot where I opened it from, knocks me out of the module back to the LMS where I have to click the link to open the module from the beginning.

Alyssa Gomez

Thanks for confirming that, Mikki!

It sounds like the behavior you're seeing could be specific to your LMS. To be sure, you'll want to test the LMS output file in another environment, like SCORM Cloud.

I'm happy to lend a hand with that testing! Simply send the output file to me by clicking here, and I'll take care of the rest. Then I'll delete the file as soon as I'm done troubleshooting. 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.