Solution: Storyline block for text input and save to cmi.interactions (SCORM 1.2)

Jun 26, 2020

For anybody interested, I have developed a SCORM 1.2 Storyline block that can be used to collect input from a user on an LMS. The block can also be configured as a mandatory completion.

It is fairly simple to configure and publish to Review 360 for inclusion in your Rise 360 project.

There are a couple of configuration options:

id: Define the ID of the activity, e.g a question text. This is used for the cmi.interactions.id and can be used to identify the question/response in the LMS report

charactercount: How many characters the user should enter before the Submit button is enabled. 

Unfortunately with it being a Storyline block, we cannot overcome the "Play button" requirement for mobile devices.

We made the decision to make the activity large, so that when it is scaled it is still legible on mobile devices.

Demonstration in the attached video.

41 Replies
Sandra Hildebrand

Hi Sam, Hi Janelle,

first of all: Thank you Sam for providing a solution to this problem! This has been really helpfull.

Unfortunately I seem to have the same issue Janelle had. Everything works fine as long as there is only one block in the Rise course. As soon as I put two the last one filled is saved but the other one gets emptied.

Have you found a solution to this problem yet?

More Info on my project: I made some changes to the file so users can change their input later on, there are no more layers displayed and I display the id in the lower right corner so I can ensure it's two different ids and two different names published to review. I added the SCORM file and my storyline file to this post. I'm using Ilias as the LMS if that's relevant.

I would be soo greatful if someone could help me with this.

Best wishes,

Sandra

Sam Hill

Hi Sandra, I believe the issue may be related to the Ilias LMS. I ran a test on SCORM Cloud and it works as expected, storing and returning the user input to the correct input boxes.

It is possible that Ilias LMS has not implemented the SCORM 1.2 cmi.comments correctly, or at all.

The functionality to return the text to the input boxes relies on cmi.comments working correctly.

Here's a short video on SCORM Cloud: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/tz6mjrjn70h9ex9rydle3/Text-input-test-Google-Chrome-2023-09-13_13-57-08.mp4?rlkey=xo3nyrf4m0lkwqlcjy0k1au8t&dl=0

I think it would be worth testing your content on SCORM Cloud too.

WKS Plus

First, thanks for this creative solution. It's going to work well for us.

When we publish the item through Rise, even when we change the name, it seems to keep the text "sl-input-block" and show that on mobile devices. Is that value hiding somewhere else other than the publish screen? 

Jose Tansengco

Hello Trevor, 

Happy to help out!

There isn't a way to remove the course title from the embedded Storyline 360 block in Rise 360, but one thing you can do is to add a cover photo to your Storyline 360 block to make it more visually appealing to learners. Here's an example of an embedded Storyline 360 block with a cover photo when viewed on a mobile device. 

Hope this helps!

WKS Plus

I'm fine with the text being there, but I want to change it. Your comment and the link you shared gave me the clue: the text "sl-input-block" is found in the Player settings. I had to temporarily change the Menus & Controls settings so I could edit the field, but that did the trick. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

The cover photo is a great option, too--we'll definitely use that!