Storyline showing up as a black square with a play button?

Apr 28, 2021

I have been loading Storyline assets into my Rise courses for several years now, and I have never encountered this before. I have no idea how to fix it.

I RE-published and loaded a Storyline into my Rise course (I did not alter the settings at all). It was a Storyline asset that had previously appeared normally in Rise, and I simply updated and republished it.

Now it is a BLACK SQUARE with its file name showing, and a play button (see screenshot attached). What causes this to happen? How can I fix this? 

6 Replies
Birkman International

Hi, I’m back - Any other ideas? I removed the media, and black box is still there. I also went to a different module that had worked fine before, and republished it without adding any media, and it, too, now has a black box with a play button. See attached screenshare for real-time evidence that the black box is happening on modules I haven't changed.

I really need help fixing this because that black box is ugly enough that my boss(es) will tell me to remove them completely from the course and figure out another way to get the info across. I've put too much work into these to scrap them all!!! Please help!!! :(

Renz Sevilla

Hi Rebecca! Thanks for including that screenshot and recording.

What you're seeing is the expected behavior for Storyline blocks in Rise 360 when viewed on a mobile device. There isn't a way to remove the play button when viewing the course on mobile. 

We're currently tracking reports of this behavior and how it's impacting users. If we make any changes to this, we'll let you know!

Renz Sevilla

Hi Rebecca! I wasn't able to replicate this using a Storyline Block published from an older version of Storyline 360. 

Here are a couple of things I'd like you to try:

- Check you're using the latest version of your browser

- Try checking if this happens in another browser

- Try clearing your browser cache

- Remove the SL Block and insert a fresh SL Block

- Try republishing the Storyline file to Review 360, and insert the latest version

If this doesn't work, I'd like for us to take a closer look. Please open a case with us here and share the original SL File and well as a copy of the course.