Flash Player 19.0.0.185 Causes Corruption in PowerPoint Presentations

Sep 28, 2015

Hi, Everyone.

A bug has been identified in Flash Player 19.0.0.185 that corrupts PowerPoint presentations with videos and Flash objects. Until Adobe releases an update to fix it, we recommend staying with Flash Player 18. If you've already installed Flash Player 19.0.0.185, here's how you can downgrade to version 18.

If you have a presentation corrupted by Flash Player 19, please follow the instructions here to repair it.

36 Replies
Dave Neuweiler

I'd add one more bit of information to the instructions for removal in Windows 10, and that is that you need to prevent update KB3087040 from being automatically re-installed.

I found that you cannot "hide" updates to prevent them from being installed in Win 10 they way we could in Windows 7.

Instead, you have to access a special tool from Microsoft called "wushowhide." You can run the program or save it to your computer at this link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

This allows you to hide the update so it won't be re-installed.

The tool isn't very intuitive, and instructions on its use are lacking.  I had to try multiple times before succeeding.

From memory, the process is:

1. Uninstall the update, but do not restart the computer as suggested.

2. Run wushowhide.diagcab

3. After Detecting Problems, a screen for Show or Hide Updates appears. Click Hide Updates.

4. A list of uninstalled updates appears. The one for KN3087040 is too long long for the screen, so it's truncated. Hover your cursor of the update to see the full description.

5. Check the box, click Next, close the tool, and re-boot.

I don't know whether this applies to Windows 8 and 8.1.

Good luck, everyone ...

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi all,

We've release a tool that will help you with any Presenter course that have been corrupted based on the Flash player 19 bug. 

1. Download and extract this zip file on your computer.
  2. Drag and drop your corrupt PowerPoint file onto the repair-ppt.exe file you downloaded.
  3. Click OK on the restoration message. Your presentation is ready to be edited and published as before.

The repair utility will create a backup copy of the corrupt PowerPoint file in the same folder.

Tip: Wait to install Flash Player 19 until Adobe releases a new version that doesn't cause corruption.

If you need additional assistance please let us know by reaching out to our support team. 

Hi Laura,

They are not installed automatically, but if you've enabled the "check for updates at start up" you would have received a message to download it. You can check which update you're on by going to the Help tab and clicking on About Articulate Presenter. You'll see the update number listed there and we're currently on Update 7 of Studio '13. 

As for the video slide, it sounds like a bit of a different issue. Is this the only course in AO that has an MP4 which isn't showing? Or do you see this across multiple courses? What browser are you viewing the course in? You'll want to make sure you're taking a look at it in one of the supported browsers here. 

Jerrold Bennett

Hi Laura and Ashley,

I have the same issue and it happens when you use the PPT video insert function instead of the Video insert on the Articulate tab.  I was trying to publish recorded webinar's and every time I published the first one the video never played.  The only way I have found for a video to play is by only using the Articulate video import function.  Try that and see if it works.

Marty Wood

We have tried the repair PPT as indicated with no luck and our PPT file stays corrupt. Our IT team is recommending that we back track to Flash 18 until Articulate has a solid fix. Our corporate users are running Win 7 Enterprise and Flash 19.0.0.185. Attached is the popup we get after the repair with a corrupter PPT deck. 

Hi Marty,

The bug is within Adobe - so we've released the documented information there on how to repair and downgrade to Flash 18. We're in the same boat though - hopefully Adobe will fix it soon and you can keep an eye on their progress with the bug report here.  You may want to share that with your Security team as well. 

Russell Still

After a slightly lengthy and convoluted effort I managed to get Flash 19 off of my machine and Flash 18 installed. Everything is fine now. 

Some advice to those doing this. When you reinstall Flash 18, it will ask if you want automatic updates? Make sure to say no to that. If you're using Google Chrome, it apparently has a local version of Flash 19 built in. So if you go to Adobe to check which version you have, it will say 19 even after you have reinstalled Flash 18 on your computer. Check it with another browser to make sure you have Flash 18 running.

Thanks Russ for the update - and to clarify for anyone else who runs across this thread, you'll need to remove Flash player 19 from your system and disable automatic updates or else the files will continue to run into the issue with corruption. We're keeping an eye on the bug within Adobe's system and will be in touch once there is any additional information to share. 

All the steps you'll need to go through in terms of upgrading Presenter, repairing existing files, and a reminder for removing Flash 19 are detailed here. 

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Marty!

Let me start by saying your scenario is untested. Storyline does make a call to PowerPoint when we import so there is some reliance on PowerPoint being functional during import.  Storyline doesn't perform the import in isolation.

If the .ppt/.pptx file is already corrupt, it definitely won't work.

You could make a back-up copy of your file and try it out, but wanted to share how it may work first.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.