Horribly messed up tables in '13

I've waited so long for an update to Presenter, and I'm still seeing many of the same issues that plagued '09:

Sudden creation of -old.ppta file when opening an existing project for no apparent reason

Messed up published graphics

Mismatch between published results and preview

The third one is the real killer, especially with a large training that takes over an hour to publish.  On my first project with '13 now, Presenter has completely butchered a number of relatively simple tables I have in my slides.  See the attached screenshots.  The kicker is that if I preview these slides, sometimes they show up fine and sometimes they are messed up.  Thus, I have no idea before I start a publish if something I've done will truly fix the problem (not that there should even be a problem with simple Powerpoint tables in the first place).  

Anybody run into this or have a solution?

88 Replies
Katie Riggio

Hi, Lekha. Thanks for this extra insight! 

Were you looking to attach Problem_package.zip? If so, we've got this project file handy from your earlier post, but I see your email signature came through instead of the attachment. This Peek recording will show you how to edit it out if you'd like!

Would you mind sharing the link to your output so we can take a closer look at what's happening there? Also, I see my teammate, Crystal, tested in Chrome, Internet Explorer and Firefox. Do you see the distorted tables in a particular browser or multiple ones?

We'll figure this out together!

Lekha Limbu

The same problem persists in both Chrome and IE. As for sharing a link to my output. I am not certain what do you mean so I am attaching per my understanding. Of the 4 example slides the first 2 appear to be consistently messed up.  The 3 one is fine all the time. The last slide was messed up earlier but now appears fine. 

Ashley Terwilliger

Hi John,

It looks like there were a few different issues here with tables - some author error and others that are bugs in Studio '13. I don't see the same issues noted for Studio 360 yet, so I'd want to have you work with our Support Team to get to the bottom of it! Can you create a Presenter package to share with the team?

Sandra Young

This response is about 5yrs following the initial threads, but I believe I have some relevant thoughts on the topic.  Tables (particularly within MS Office programs, e.g. Power Point) have a lot of 'back side' data (meta data), and I believe much of it is lost in transition when previewing and or publishing via Articulate. I've ran into the exact same issues described, but quickly mitigated the issue by saving my tables as .png or .jpg images. (Very rarely have I seen tables with animation functions within them, so rendering the table(s) as images works well). It doesn't solve the underlying issue, but it helped me stay on task in meeting my project timeline/milestones. 

Ashley Terwilliger

Thanks, Quentin for sharing that idea and background. Are you also still using Studio '13 to author courses? We've added a tables feature to Storyline 360 so that these can be built natively in Articulate tools and as I mentioned the earlier issues discussed here haven't been reported in Studio 360 yet. If you've run into the trouble there, please let us know here or reach out to our Support Team directly. 

Ananda Gupta

It seems there is no solution yet to these tables messing up randomly. Also I see that the Staff is not providing any logical solution here. That is so sad. I think I will ask my company to move away from the product soon, as copying and pasting tables as images is no solution.

Put stuff on C Drive. Cant work off SharedPoint / OneDrive. Just such a pain to work with a simple tool. 

Eugene Lobo

Hi Ananda,

If you are using Studio360, the latest update has fixed this problem with these messed up tables.

If you are still using Studio13, just delete the contents of the cache folder before you publish (C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Articulate\Articulate.Presenter\Cache001.)

Just make a shortcut the folder and delete the contents. This always works.

 

 

 

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Ananda,

Thanks for reaching out and letting us know that you're running into an issue with tables as well.

I'm curious what version of Presenter you are using as well. 

With your permission, I'd like you to share your project file with our support engineers to investigate what's happening. You can share it privately by uploading it here. It will be deleted when troubleshooting is complete.

Beth Gilliland

If you are still using Studio13, just delete the contents of the cache folder before you publish (C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Articulate\Articulate.Presenter\Cache001.)

Just make a shortcut the folder and delete the contents. This always works.

Oh my goodness! This totally works! I still use Presenter '13 to update older files, and was plagued by this seemingly random issue (which now makes sense because of the cache!) THANK YOU!!