Background music to play continuous in Storyline 360

Aug 22, 2022

While creating multiple slides I tried adding a single audio file to be played in the background throughout the slides but couldn't find anything related to its background music.

Has this feature been included in Storyline 360 as an update or not, please let me know or guide me if there is any possible solution for it?

Pinned Reply
Eric Santos

Hi everyone!

I have some great news to share. We just released another update for Storyline 360. In Update 74, we've included important fixes and new features.

One of the new features we've included is: 

• Create immersive experiences with continuous background audio that sets the tone and keeps learners engaged.

Launch the Articulate 360 desktop app on your computer to take advantage of this update, and click the Update button next to Storyline 360. You'll find our step-by-step instructions here.

Please let me know if you have questions!

5 Replies
OWEN HOLT

Do you mean like this: DEMO?

You can use JavaScript to add a music player to the published file and then start the music playing once the user has interacted with the page (this last bit is a browser requirement).

In the example file attached, I'm using the resources tab to hold the music file and then using JavaScript to hide the tab. Even though the tab is hidden, the contents is still accessible through JavaScript.

Jürgen Schoenemeyer

if you have enabled "resume" for your course

https://community.articulate.com/articles/articulate-storyline-360-user-guide-how-to-change-the-resume-behavior

the course can start on any page, so the programming must be able to handle it

if the course is running in an LMS, please note the resume function there as well

Jürgen

OWEN HOLT

The question was whether or not this is possible and the answer is that it is. To Math's point, there are additional design considerations. The full solution would require a tracking variable toggled at course start to indicate a user has entered the course. The state of the variable can easily be checked at slide start using an action on a master slide. If the variable meets a condition, show a layer that asks an additional question on resume ... something like "Would you like to continue with the music on or off".  Based on the selection, run the JavaScript to add the player and start the music. What I like about this is that it both satisfies the browser requirement for interaction, it also gives the participant a choice in the matter of music. It treats them like adults.
You could also use JavaScript to check by ID if the player element exists since you are assigning it an ID when creating it. Then if it doesn't exist, adding the JavaScript to run at slide start. The user would have interacted with the page already (having clicked the resume button) and you start the music. The point is, there are multiple ways to do this and no single best answer. That is left up to the designer to figure out HOW they want to do it. But again, the question was CAN it be done. 

I will add that I'm concerned by the trend I am seeing of more and more negative critiques of responses on this forum. More often than not, most forum members are offering [free] advice and knowledge but not necessarily solving a person's complete issue for them. The forum isn't a place to just jump in and say "that won't work". If you don't like a response, offer the solution instead of just a critique.  But maybe that is just my opinion?

Eric Santos

Hi everyone!

I have some great news to share. We just released another update for Storyline 360. In Update 74, we've included important fixes and new features.

One of the new features we've included is: 

• Create immersive experiences with continuous background audio that sets the tone and keeps learners engaged.

Launch the Articulate 360 desktop app on your computer to take advantage of this update, and click the Update button next to Storyline 360. You'll find our step-by-step instructions here.

Please let me know if you have questions!