Fuzzy text and images SL360 in Chrome

Nov 28, 2016

I am trying out SL360 and I run into a very ugly problem. When using Chrome (version 54.0.2840.99 m) the sharpness of text and images go from very blurry to sharp depending on the size of my browser window. IE11 neither SL2 has this problem. 

I do want the ability to scale the output (player options, Player size: Scale player to fill browser window). Does anyone know this problem and how to overcome this?

199 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

I"m sorry to say a fix for this behavior didn't make it into the latest update, but it's something we're still discussing with our team. I also just wanted to share a link for you to the latest release notes for Storyline 360, as those will always share what updates and changes have been put in place Storyline and any of the other Articulate 360 tools are linked here. 

Alicia Roberts

We just upgraded to 360 from Storyline 1...and the output quality of everything is poor. This includes the fonts, high quality images and screen recordings. We have tried them in both Chrome and IE, however, in our environment, IE is preferred. We need to run the outputs with flash.

What is the workaround for this? What is the ETA on a solution?

Marcel Lendi

Hi Alicia,

First of all check your quality settings (custom optimization) when publishing, make sure everything is set to highest quality. Could help a little bit.

Video's

I don't know if they managed to change it yet, but SL360 is compressing video's and screen recordings even at the highest quality settings, while SL2 is not. Screen recordings can look awful compared to SL2 (I didn't check with SL1 but I assume it is the same), especially when viewed in a bigger window than the original story size.

The only workaround I know, is adjusting your story size (under SL it is under design. I have de-installed 360 so I can't check). When you blow up your story size (I did 1920x1080) video's and images look crisp. But resizing your story leads to a lot of adjustments. Arrows become to fat, fonts on the master slide don't fit etc. etc...

So you have to do a lot of manual tweaking.

Images

Same as video's, although not as bad in my experience.

Fonts

This I find a bit weird. My experience with flash is that they look great. As soon as I use HTML5 the problems start when resizing the browser window of the published project. So I haven't got a clue what is wrong with the fonts. Maybe it has something to do with the conversion from SL1, because I didn't try.

Advice

My advice: upgrade to SL2 or stick to SL1 and stay away from SL360/SL3. The output quality is too low, especially if you have old projects you need to upgrade. New projects can be ok when start in high resolution story size.

I do hope Articulate is going to do something about this problem, because SL3/Sl360 has some interesting features.

Marcel

Ben Hancock

Hi there, any update on this issue yet?

I am still producing content that is not 100% great to look at and I cannot bill a client until things have improved. I have to admit I have downloaded a trial of captivate 2017 to see what the comparisons are like. The other option is to go back to using SL2 and request a refund for 360 as it is not currently fit for purpose. I don't particularly want to go down either of these paths but will be forced to I'm afraid!

Thanks

Ben

Chris Walsh

Starting at version 54 (released December 2016), Google Chrome started to switch Flash off by default for most websites (domains) unless explicitly enabled (go to Settings > Privacy > Content Settings > Flash).

I suspect the variation you the experience you are getting can be down to one the following:

1. Running Chrome version prior to v54 vs. after v54.
  2. Running the same course and same Chrome (v54+) on who different sites (domains) where one of the domains is configured to allow flash to run and one isn't (again refer to Settings > Privacy > Content Settings > Flash and Manage Exceptions button)

Flash is inevitably being phased out and we are moving everything over to SL360 with an aim of publishing HTML5 only.  Courses are more compact and once the HTML5 rendering issues are resolved, there shouldn't be much requirement for Flash in the future.  Fortunately Storyline are quite active on evolving their HTML5 rendering engine.

Crystal Horn

Hello everyone. First, thanks for sharing your voices here. I know this issue has been aggravating.

The blurriness occurring in Chrome is one of our highest priority issues. I don’t have an ETA on a fix yet. Our team is searching for the root cause, and from there we'll figure out next steps for a fix.

We’ll let you know once we have some further information to share.

Richard White

I think you are looking in the wrong place to correct this problem. If you use any bitmapped fonts and some true type fonts you are going to get a blurred output as your browser is trying to make your embedded fonts work but won't have the local resources on the server to work with. Use Open type fonts and try to stick with Arial or Myriad and you shouldn't have problems.

Celia Powell

My team also has blurriness issues with text, video, and images. 

My worst problems occur on:

Chrome 55.0.2883.87 (Windows)
Chrome  59.0.3071.115 (OSX)
Chrome Canary 62.0.3178.0 (OSX)
Safari 10.1.1 (OSX)
[both Chrome and Safari use webkit]

The best outcomes actually seem to be in MS Internet Explorer and MS Edge.

The trouble is, most of our clients and end users are on Chrome.

It would also be helpful to be able to upload .svg files as images to resolve 66% of the issue.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.