New feature in Storyline 360: Interactive 360° images

Jul 27, 2021

Today we released a new feature in Storyline 360 called 360° images. We think you’ll love transforming any 360° image into an interactive learning experience that invites learners to explore and engage. 

Import any panoramic 360° image, pick an initial view, and resize for the perfect fit. Looking for images to experiment with? Try this collection. 

Once you’ve imported an image, you can add interactions using markers, hotspots, and triggers to capture learners’ attention and add contextual info to the images they’re exploring. You can create custom markers and add hotspots anywhere on the image.   

Finetune how learners interact with 360° images easily. Add progress meters to show learners their progress, and choose how learners navigate through the image to create the immersive experience you want. 

Download the latest version of Storyline 360 to start experimenting with 360° images—and share your projects! We’d love to see them here in E-Learning Heroes. 

172 Replies
Lauren Connelly

Hi Lauren!

Sorry, this is impacting you as well! I've opened a case on your behalf, so you should've received an email with an upload link. Can you upload your .story file? From there, our Support Engineers will take a look at your file. They'll also be able to test your file in different versions to understand exactly where the issue is stemming from.

We'll continue the conversation via email!

Mehdi Achbaro

Hi Chris,

Unfortunately, no! Articulate couldn't reproduce the issue!

However there is maybe a semi fix that I have tried with one of our users and seemed to work. 

You have to disable ‘’hardware acceleration when available’’ in Chrome.

To do so, go to Settings-  Advanced-  System-  (Then disable) Use hardware acceleration when available

You have to restart Chrome before testing. 

When doing so the animation of the transitions of your slides will be slow, but It seemed to fix the issue for some of our users. 

Please let me know if it worked for you. 

Ted Nunes

I just discovered how you can rotate the 360 images with AWSD keys (also the up, down, left, right arrows) on the keyboard, which is great...except I have a popup layer* where I want users to be able to enter notes. Is there a way to override (toggle on and off) the keyboard navigation behavior? 

*I have also tried this by light boxing a "notes" slide, but the behavior persists: You can start to type a note, but pressing "a" or "w" etc. will begin to rotate the 360 image behind the popup layer and the text entry field loses focus. I would like that to not happen. 

Leslie McKerchie

Hello Ted,

I'm curious about the layer properties you have set on the pop-up. To prevent the learner from interacting with base layer objects, you'll want to select 'Prevent the user from clicking on the base layer.'

If you're still experiencing this behavior with this setting, please share your .story project with one of our support engineers to take a look.

Ted Nunes

I did try selecting 'Prevent the user from clicking on the base layer' which does prevent the image from being clicked/dragged, but the key press navigation persists: Pressing AWSD will rotate the image and the text entry field loses focus. I have submitted the issue and I'll update here whatever the outcome is. Thanks.

Ted Nunes

Well, the problem was my version of Storyline was out of date. I thought it was current--my Articulate app didn't display that an update was available because the Articulate app was also requiring an update. I updated everything not that long ago, but the updates come frequently.  (It's a little tedious that things needs updating so often, but I guess there are worse things in the world.)

After updating, it works as desired. I don't even have to select "Pause timeline on base layer" or "Prevent the user from clicking on the base layer" in layer properties. Thanks!

Michael Oppenheimer

The ability to have 360 degree photos with hotspots has been a fantastic addition to Storyline.  It was introduced at the exact same time i was designing a lesson. The lesson was targeted to individuals in my academic institution that needed to learn how to perform safety inspections in biological laboratories.  I was able to put to good use a Insta360 camera that i bought for myself four years ago.

The lesson has been published for the past two months and it has gone over well with the target audiences and key administrative players.  It was so well received i was asked to present the lesson at a regional academic conference that focuses on lab inspections.  

My hope is that with such enthusiasm, management will approve a purchase of a more modern 360 degree camera that takes higher resolution and brighter photos.  

I am really hoping that Articulate developers spend some more time with this 360 degree, and build the feature to allow learners to zoom in on the 360 degree photos. 

I came across this amazing laboratory virtual tour that is very inspiring.  

It would be great if we could do zooming in-and-out using Articulate Storyline.  

Virtual Tour

Jerry Donney

FYI.  I did open a new feature request similar to "let the 360 image start automatically from the same position as the previous 360 image".  I think  we just need the ability to set the "initial view" coordinates with triggers when a slide starts.  I don't know the status of the request.

Maria Costa-Stienstra

Hi, Jerry.

Thank you for the suggestion!

We currently track every feature submitted through the feature request form, the ones mentioned in the E-Learning Heroes discussions and support cases. If a request has already been submitted, then we add comments and customer impact to the report. 

We aren't planning to share every requested feature at this time, but we'll let you know if we make changes to how we display this information. 

Cesim Santé

Bonjour,

J'ai crée cours basé sur une image 360 interactive avec storyline 360. J'aimerai publier ce projet de manière à pouvoir le faire jouer dans un casque de réalité virtuelle Oculus Go. Avez-vous une idée sur le format que je dois choisir pour la publication et sur le procédé pour l'intégration dans le casque ?

Merci pour vos retours

Cesim Santé

Hi, yes your colleague answered me that it wasn't possible playing storyline output in a virtual reality mask. I would appreciate you explain me again why it isn't.

I have created an e-learning from an 360° image. It plays well on PC, browser...but i wanted to play it in a VR mask for more immersive feelings.

Thank you for détails