NEW IN STORYLINE 360: Slide Numbers

May 07, 2019

We’re excited to share a powerful new feature in Storyline 360: slide numbers.

Now you can add slide numbers to your Storyline 360 project to show learners their progress through a course. Storyline 360 will automatically calculate how far learners have left in your course. And you can quickly exclude slides if you don’t want them counted toward the total.

Here’s how slide numbers work:

Enjoy!

113 Replies
Mike DiFonzo

Chris,

Thanks for this. Unfortunately, inability to hide other slide layers would be an issue. I have multiple slides utilizing layers so slides would get really cluttered and make the slide unusable.

I guess I could just insert the slide numbers on the individual slides so I can re-order the objects or make the shapes smaller to uncover the object on the Master. A bit disappointing though.

Mike

Mike DiFonzo

The problem is I have multiple slides where I put the shape so I could put it on the Master for those cases. The shape is really used for a title background so I could use your suggestion but sometimes I need to make the shape bigger/smaller so I need to be able to access it at slide level.

I suppose I could just design the slide to leave the corner reserved for the slide numbers but I like the contrast when it's layered on top of the colored shape.

Yuyen Chang

I don't know how often and the extent to which you have to manipulate the size of this shape/box to accommodate your content of different slides, so this may or may not be doable. But what if you have multiple slide masters where you alter the size of that colored shape and then make sure to put the slide number on top of the shape. That way you can still have different sizes of the shape to choose from and the slide number will always be layered on top to give you the color contrast that you like. 

Mike DiFonzo

That does sound like a good solution. That should work for most of the slides.

The issue is that some of the shapes need to be bigger due to bigger/more text or the shape color needs to be different. I suppose I can just create another colored shape to overlay on top of it but then I'll manually have to insert the slide numbers on top of it.

Sounds like there's not a ready made solution to cover all of the bases but these are some decent work-arounds for some of the issues.

Jack Ding

Hello everybody,

today I have encountered a problem, the number jumps between 9 and 10, after right or between a one-digit and a two-digit number, for me is between 9/15 and 10/15, I do not know if it was clearly explained, see Attachment. The Slide Numbers was placed on master foil.

Thank you for any help.

Charlene Bankhead

I find it helpful just to name my variables with starting letters (A-L), so they will be at the top of the list - since it displays alphabetically. 

All the built-in variables start off with "Menu", "Project", or "Scene." 

Naming your variables so they float to the top (or bottom if you use R-Z) helps to make this less frustrating.

Andrew Dean | LUCID Learning Group Inc.  (LucidxL.com)

Hi Phil! Thanks for this tip. More specifically, it was restrictively the text box height adjustment that ultimately resulted in finally matching the source file text size displayed (published page count type shrunk to about 5pt type after my latest update to SL today with the same source files). Altering the type size, turning auto fit to text box off, text box width, ... etc., nothing else seemed to result in the type sizes to match (or change at all with published files). The local source file did not match the published display until increasing the page count text box height on the master. I don't believe this was the behavior in the previous version of SL (as I am creating several versions of the same course for different languages). There is a chance that a newly introduced language/font triggered this, but it does not appear so. I think it is worth looking into to test with the nice page count feature. If nothing else, perhaps this will help somebody in a jam when publishing rush deliverables. :)

Lisa Spirko

I'm excited about the slide number feature, especially for question banks. The only issue I'm running into is that when you review the questions, the slide number on each slide shows the maximum number of slides viewed--in my case 20. It would be nice if it could remember what slide number was displayed when the user answered the question. My workaround is just to hide the slide numbers on the review layer. To my knowledge, this can be done in one of two ways: (1) with a true/false "ReviewMode" variable that becomes true in review mode and a trigger that hides the slide number text box when the variable is true, or (2) more simply, a shape on the review layer that simply covers the text box. If anyone has any other ideas, I welcome them. Thanks!

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Lisa, 

It sounds like you've figured out two easy methods to set your course up as you'd like - but if you need us to take a look we're happy to! Are you able to share a copy of your file with us? If so, you can upload at this link using the Add Attachment button or you always have an option to share privately with our Support Engineers. Either way, we'll delete it when done testing. 

Lisa Spirko

Hi Ashley! Sorry for the lengthy delay. I had multiple deadlines all at once. Even with your assurances (thank you!), company policy prohibits me from sharing the original file. However, I created a brief mockup of 5 questions. Please let me know what you think!

Thanks,

Lisa

Ren Gomez

Hi Lisa,

Thanks so much for taking the time to draft this mockup! I jumped into the file and was able to replicate the issue where during quiz review, the slide number shows the total slides in project causing you to see “5 of 5” in all quiz slides when using Project Order.

Even though you’re not using the menu in this case, I tried the alternative method of using the Menu Order and showing the slides in the player properties.

As you can see below during the quiz review, it worked as expected! I’ve noted the slide numbering issue while using Project Order, but suggest using the Menu Order option in this scenario. Hope this helps!