Publishing to Word Doc doesn't work in Storyline 360

Aug 15, 2017

I am unable to publish my Storyline 360 presentation to Word. When I select the option in the publish settings, it takes all of 2 seconds and tells me it is done, but when I look at what was published there is nothing in the folder. I am able to publish to LMS and web just fine.

120 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

No problem, Suzanne. If you can't find a computer I'm happy to export one .story file to Word for you. Just share a copy of the .story file here with us when you get a chance! 

Also, if you're using Storyline 360, look at publishing to Review! Although you can't edit there, it's a good way to take notes and indicate where changes should occur. 

PD Nursing

hi i am having the same problems.  I am using storyline 360 and word is 2016 version.  I am using the same computer and settings as another module which published to word as usual. 

When i try to publish this module i either get a fast publish and cannot open anything  or it opens in a player view that does not play.  Help please.  I have tried the about recommendations in the trust centre etc.

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Sasha,

I'm not sure what you mean by a player view - the publish to Word should provide you one single Word document ending in an extension of .doc.

Have you also checked that your .story file and the file publishing path are local and adhering to the other best practices here for file names and paths? 

Nicole Schwab

Hi at all,
I know the post is bit older (6 moths are not a big deal) but I am struggling with a very similar problem right now. But, I dont get any notifications, nothing. Instead of that articulate and word freeze.. I don't have a clue.

I use articulate 360 and Word 2013 all on windows.. I am thankful for any help.

Leslie McKerchie

Oh no, Nicole.

That version of Word is supported as you can see in our documentation here.

With your permission, I'd like to take a look at your project file to investigate what's happening. You can share it publicly here, or send it to me privately by uploading it here. I'll delete it when I'm done troubleshooting.

Alyssa Gomez

Hey, Beth! 

Are you using Office 365 desktop apps, or do you access Office 365 from the web?

Office 365 desktop apps will need to be installed for the Publish to Word feature to work. 

If you're already using Office 365 desktop apps, I'd like our Support Engineers to take a closer look at your file. They'll delete it when we're done troubleshooting. If that works for you, you can upload your file privately to our support team here. Thanks!

Susan Stewart

Chiming in...

Windows 10 - up to date

Word 2016 - up to date

SL360 - up to date

Publish to Word: 

• notification says it's processing 39 slides
  • click view: Word opens and shows slide 1 beautifully...but only slide 1

Actions taken to remedy the situation:

• moved file to desktop
  • renamed and saved file
  • restored Trust Center settings (file block settings) in Word to default

Did I miss anything?  Other suggestions?  

Katie Riggio

Hi, Susan!

Thanks for letting us know what you tried so far, and excellent troubleshooting. You didn't miss a thing. 😀

As a next step, I would give Storyline 360 a repair. Let me know if that makes a difference! Also, if you can share your .story file here, I'm happy to try publishing it to Word for you!

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Julie, 

Publishing to Word gives you a snapshot of what your course slide looks like, similar to what you see in the slide view when developing your course.

A fellow community member, Tracy, wrote an article on tips when publishing to Word.

Can you share a bit more about how you'll be using this Word-published version? Perhaps we can help you with additional suggestions or ideas.

Peter Watson

I am having a similar issue and unable to sort it.  I'm running Articulate 360 and windows via parallels on my mac book pro.  I can publish to Review 360 no problem. However not to Word.  I may be answering this issue myself as my Word is a mac version and I don't have word for windows.  Is that the issue.

David Price
Peter Watson

I am having a similar issue and unable to sort it.  I'm running Articulate 360 and windows via parallels on my mac book pro.  I can publish to Review 360 no problem. However not to Word.  I may be answering this issue myself as my Word is a mac version and I don't have word for windows.  Is that the issue.

Hi Peter.  I came across the same problem last week.  Unfortunately it won't work across Parallels onto your Mac version of Word, so you will need to install Word on the Windows virtual machine for it to work.

I have Office 365 which allows you to install on up to 5 devices, Mac and Windows, so if you have that then you will be able to install Word.  If not, then maybe a trial of Word? (I'm not sure if they do free trials or not).

Edit: I never tried it while running in coherence mode, so not sure if that would make a difference.

Katie Riggio

Hello, Peter. Happy to help, and I think you're spot-on about the environment!

Are you able to install Word on the Windows side? Also, check out these tips and best practices for using Articulate software on a Mac with Parallels.

Let me know if any of those recommendations make a difference!