States

Nov 20, 2013

Hello,

Hope someone can help me as I'm tearing out what little hair I have left.

I have an object with the following states:

Normal, hover, down, visited and disabled.

The Normal state should show the number '2', the hover, down and visited should all display text in place of the number. However, when I hover and click the number  is still visible behind the text.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Matt

16 Replies
Cheng Li

Hi Matt,

I see what the problem is. 

One quick solution to fix it is to place a round circle with the same color to cover the number in each state. 

1. Click edit states

2. Select hover state (for instance), create a round circle with the same color and place it over the original circle, then select all the texts and right-click them to send them to front.

Cheng

Rebecca Fleisch Cordeiro

Hi All,

I believe the reason for this was answered by Superhero Phil Mayor in this thread.

He said, "Built-in states are additive to the normal state, custom states are not additive."

I think Cheng's solution is a good one, and is what I've done in the past in this type of situation. But it got me thinking about how to do this with a custom state instead of the built-in hover state. I was only able to get half-way there.

• I created a custom state called "over."
  • Set up this state to look like yours, Matthew.
  • Set up a trigger to change the state of the oval to "over" when the mouse is hovered over it.

This created a "mess" , with the oval appearing and the test flickering.

• I removed the checkmark from restore on mouse leave.

Yeah, the flickering went away.

BUT,

• then the only I way I could figure out how to restore to the normal the state was by creating a trigger using the event "when user clicks outside" trigger. There is no "when user hovers outside or away from" event. hmm.

But that wouldn't be intuitive to the user. Perhaps someone can point out a better way here.

In the end, I think the original solution is the best. But thought I'd post just to explain why it's working in the way that it is.

Greg Cannon

Ok - I got this to work absolutely fine but by removing the text boxes containing the 1 and the 'About Phoenix' text and added the text directly to the oval shape...I've attached the revised file.

For the number 1 I added a trigger to change the state to a newly created state Hover2 but for the number 2 I just edited the normal and hover states and it seems to work ok. I also created a button set, which may or may not be superfluous for these purposes!! 

Happy Friday!

Greg

Rebecca Fleisch Cordeiro

Nice, Greg! That also had worked for me and is something I've done a lot of in my story files, but what I was trying to do was to make the oval in the hover state smaller, as I thought I'd seen it in Matthew's sample. That's when I ran into trouble. Maybe I just didn't have enough coffee. Sorry for misleading anyone.

Again, tx for sharing and clarifying, Greg.

Kim Simmons

Hi All,

I created a DEMO button... (See the button below in it's Normal & Visited states). I'm confused as to why my solution works when I preview it as a single slide or when I view the scene? It however doesn't work when I view the entire course.

Can anyone help me work out the bug?

BTW.... I learned about editing states using the following link. Before posting my issue, I went back to the tutorial to see if there was anything I could use to fix my problem. Nothing seemed to fit this situation.

http://www.articulate.com/support/storyline/how-to-change-the-visited-state-for-buttons

Michael Hinze
Kim Simmons

Hi All,

I created a DEMO button... (See the button below in it's Normal & Visited states). I'm confused as to why my solution works when I preview it as a single slide or when I view the scene? It however doesn't work when I view the entire course.

Can anyone help me work out the bug?

BTW.... I learned about editing states using the following link. Before posting my issue, I went back to the tutorial to see if there was anything I could use to fix my problem. Nothing seemed to fit this situation.

http://www.articulate.com/support/storyline/how-to-change-the-visited-state-for-buttons

By any chance, are your slide properties set to 'Reset to Initial state'? You can always post your file here.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.