Storyline 360 - Animate In By Paragraph Missing Words and Lines

Aug 06, 2021

I'm encountering a super frustrating bug in Storyline 360. 

Whenever I use the Animate In By Paragraph option, there is a chance that it will either;

1. Completely skips lines in the paragraph,
  2. Completely skip an entire paragraph, or,
  3. Delay the paragraph from appearing, throwing off all timings for the rest of the slide.

I've found a "fix" where I just move the paragraph back and forth in the timeline, and it seems to fix it, but then it also appears that they just decide to break on their own. So I fix the issue, it previews correctly, I move on to other slides to fix the issue, and it just breaks again, but sometimes it doesn't break, but one that previously worked fine, now no longer works. Then, when I publish the module to Review 360 or to a SCORM, I find that they are broken again. 

I've attached a video to further demonstrate the issue. 

I've tried updating SL, rewriting the paragraphs, and even just starting again, but I have had this happen in 3 separate storyline files on multiple machines now. 

Any assistance would be great, as this bug is making the review process of making modules extremely tedious and makes SL nearly unusable. 

Pinned Reply
Lauren Connelly
Hi everyone!

I'm happy to share that we just released Storyline 360 (Build 3.70.29211.0)! In this update, we've released the fix for the bug where text boxes that animate by paragraph might not load consistently.

Now all you need to do is update Storyline 360 in your Articulate 360 desktop app! If you run into any issues, please reach out to us by submitting a support case!
74 Replies
Kimmo Oksanen

Hi,

we tried this solution this morning and at least in our case it did not (unfortunately) solve the issue. Perhaps it is just that if you make any change related to the text box it might or might not solve the problem. I'm beginning to feel really desperate on this and honestly hope that Articulate could dig into this in more detail. 

Jürgen Schoenemeyer

articulate support has an example (case 03122145 - March 2022), where they can understand the problem

close storyline, open the .story file and publish

result:
https://360.articulate.com/review/content/109adb8d-1f8a-4729-8735-35f02b6227c5/review

have a look on the unusual underline animation in the second block and the missing lines in every paragraph

an now the same .story file (no changes)

close storyline (very important!!!) - open .story file, click/doubleclick on one slide preview and publish now
https://360.articulate.com/review/content/927d489d-3613-48aa-a465-5b81d8e01af1/review

=> no problem with animation (every block has 5 lines, no problem with underline)

there is similar problems with text in tables

same cause: missing initialization of text styles when starting storyline

unfortunately the error is not taken seriously - i got the feedback that i should click on the slide preview before each export

I have stopped using "text styles" complete and now I have no problems with "paragraph animation" and "tables" anymore

Jürgen Schoenemeyer

yes you can fix the problem with redefine the font + fontsize

here I have fixed text block 1 (2, 3 not)

https://360.articulate.com/review/content/ee27cd01-4638-4951-8761-3fd8d0c4c43a/review

what I have done
 - changed the first text block to another font/fontsize (Arial 18px -> Open sans 16px), saved and closed the file
 - reopened the .story file, now changed the font/font size to the original (Arial 18px)
 - saved and closes the .story file

now the test
 - open the .story file, first action: publish to review 360 -> you can see to result

=> block 1: ok (all 5 lines visible)
=> block 2, 3: missing 5th line and strange "underline" animation

the error is VERY old - there is a thread NINE year old* and if it's the same error, it was copied from storyline 3 to storyline 360

* but possibly there are also different error causes that have the same error result

Jürgen Schoenemeyer
Alistair Arkwright

My team and I have encountered this issue in a completely NEW template we designed, and this time our regular fix methods are just not working. 

We're tried;

• moving the text up and down the timeline
  • resizing the font
  • saving and reopening and publishing straight away
  • publishing using the classic player
  • No text styles used
  • No custom font

and it seems that no matter what we try, at least ONE of the slides will break.

It's been over a year now since encountering this issue, and we have lost countless hours of billable time. We pay for multiple licenses for a product that we have zero trust in and Articulate are pretending this issue doesn't exist. 

Gwendolyn Lucio

I am currently having this same issue. 
Works fine locally but when the course is published to REVIEW360 there is text onscreen missing. 
The only solution I found was to remove the animation on the slide and then reapply the animation and reformat all my text on the timeline. But this was just a temp fix after a few more iterations of the project just repeating the process. 
This approach is not tenable as I can not be expected to do this every time there is a minor update to the course. 

BJ

Has this issue been addressed in Storyline yet?  I have the same problem on two files.  I started with Arial font.  Both were imported formats from PowerPoint.  I have another file imported from PowerPoint with no issue.  I did choose to select 'Upgrade Project Text' on the two I'm having issues with missing lines.  Could this be the culprit? 

The workaround fix is expanding the text blocks and setting animation to one paragraph, but this is not a permanent fix, I think.

Thank you!

Lauren Connelly
Hi everyone!

I'm happy to share that we just released Storyline 360 (Build 3.70.29211.0)! In this update, we've released the fix for the bug where text boxes that animate by paragraph might not load consistently.

Now all you need to do is update Storyline 360 in your Articulate 360 desktop app! If you run into any issues, please reach out to us by submitting a support case!