Storyline 360 HTML5-only package contains .swf

Nov 20, 2018

We are in the process of removing all Flash-based content from our LMS. A developer has given us a packaged published using Storyline 360 (build 8.13087.0) which was published as HTML5 only.

But we found 6 files with names like Shape5fpPY36q1fx.swf inside the story_content folder.

Any idea what those might be and/or why they would be in an HTML5 only publish?

7 Replies
Katie Riggio

Hi, R. So sorry you're running into this, and I'm glad you reached out to us!

You're right. Since the course was published for HTML5 only, no .swf files should get created. We've noticed that .swf files appear in courses that have a 'Zoom Region' and/or a video, even when publishing to HTML5 only. Could you let me know if either of those scenarios applies to you? 

If that doesn't match what you're seeing, are you able to share your .story file? I'll dig in to see if we need to take action on a new bug. Feel free to attach it to this discussion or send it to me privately. I'll be here!

R Rothrock

He wasn't using zoom regions, but did have video. He removed the video slides as a test and the swf files went away. But of course the videos are an important part of his course and are needed in the final package.

Any idea why they are there?

With Flash support effectively being removed from major browsers in June of next year this seems like something that needs to be fixed sooner rather than later.

Katie Riggio

Appreciate you circling back, R. I'll document your experience to the bug report where SWF files are created for videos when publishing to HTML5 only. 

I'm so sorry for the headaches, and I promise we'll keep you in-the-know with any new information. In the meantime, our tests show that removing the SWF files should not affect the published output. Let us know if you run into any issues with this!

Additionally, we're happy to have a look at the .story file to see if we can offer other workarounds. If the content is sensitive, you can privately share it with our Support Team here

R Rothrock

Is there any way to tell from a zip file published for LMS that it was set to HTML5 only?

I notice in the meta.xml file there is a flashdata attribute (which always seems to be "story_content/data.swf." But if the content was published as HTML5 only it looks like there is no data.swf file? Is that a good test? So basically the following:

• data.swf and data.json: dual publish html5 and flash
  • data.swf only: Flash
  • data.json only: HTML5

EDIT

Darn! I thought I was on to something, but there doesn't seem to be a data.json file in any of my packages.

Alyssa Gomez

Hey everyone! I wanted to let you know we fixed the issue you reported where SWF files were created for videos, even if the course was published in HTML5 only format.

Install the latest Storyline 360 update to take advantage of all the recent features and fixes.

If the problem happens again, please record a Peek 360 screencast for me, and I’ll be happy to help!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.