Text Entry fields not setting when control loses focus in mobile devices (Storyline 360)

Feb 09, 2017

We've identified that text entry fields that are added to a slide using Storyline 360 do not register if the user enters a value and then immediately clicks a Submit button when using a mobile device. In order to get the value to register, the user needs to click outside the text entry field before clicking the Submit button.

On a MAC or PC, the text entry value does register when the Submit button is clicked.

Does anyone know of any workarounds, other than to provide instructions at the start of the course?

84 Replies
Leslie McKerchie

Hello Timo! I do not test the content that way.

When you view a Storyline 360 course on your local hard drive, you'll encounter security restrictions from the computer, web browser, Flash Player, and network that can cause various features of the course to fail. To test your published content and share it with others, it's best to upload it to a web server or LMS. See this article for details.

Leslie McKerchie

Thanks for the update Sebastjan.

I took a peek at your support case and it looks like Renato has filed this as a possible bug.

I wanted to share some information on how we define bugs and how we tackle them when they occur.

I'll attach this thread as well so that we can post an update here when we can as well.

Leslie McKerchie

Thanks for confirming Robert.

The original issue reported here was for the text entry fields not registering or setting the value when the user hit Submit on a mobile device prior to closing the keyboard. Is this what you are seeing as well?

Please be sure that you are on the latest version of Storyline 360, which is now Update 13, as we show this was corrected in Update 8. 

If this is not what you are experiencing, please share the details and your .story file if possible.

Alex Hunt

I'm having this same issue as well where you have to close the browser to get the variable to set on an android device.

Clicking elsewhere or even on my Next button (which has a trigger to not go forward unless a number has been entered) won't be enough to make it "lose focus" and set the variable.

I have a ticket in for this and other reasons but I just wanted to chime in to see if the issue was still being worked on and let others know they're not alone!

Matthew Jevons

Hi All,

I have a work around for the issue above.

Add an Execute JavaScript trigger to your Submit button (before all other Submit button triggers fire) and run the following JS:

document.activeElement.blur();

This will remove the focus from the active text entry field (closing the mobile keyboard) and therefore commit the text entry to the associated variable prior to the Submit button assessing correct/incorrect.