Videos on layers won't replay

May 11, 2015

Hi there, so I've encountered a problem with getting videos on layers to replay once the layers have been shown. Basically I have a slide where the base layer is essentially a "home" layer. On the base layer there are 2 hotspots. Each Hotspot triggers an "opening" layer with video, which automatically advances to another layer containing more info. On the more info layer, there is a "Back" button which triggers a "Closing" layer with another video, which then hides the layer when complete to take the user back to the base layer, in order to choose another option/hotspot. Everything works perfectly the first time a hotspot is selected, but once back on the base layer, the "opening" layer videos won't play and are just stuck at the first frame.

Videos are mp4, encoded in h.264, and are locally stored. Some of the "opening" layer videos are the same file but edited/trimmed using the built in Articulate video editor.

I've tried:

1.Setting all layers to "Reset to Initial State" when revisiting

2. Using a "Jump to Slide" trigger instead of "Hide Layer" trigger to get users back to base layer (While slide was set to "Reset to Initial State" in slide properties)

3.Using "Hide Layer" triggers when "media completes"

I just don't know what else to try to get this working. I've built a mockup slide using a different mp4 video and the same problem persists. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated! Here's the mock up slide:

62 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Glad to hear that the latest update of Storyline 360 fixed it for your Mario, and you'll see the release notes and fixes detailed here. If you're connected to the internet and accessing Articulate 360 it should prompt you for those updates when you open up the desktop tray application. Perhaps you or your IT team disabled them?  

Mario Buljan

Thank you Ashley for taking care. I was connected to the internet, but usually I don't update every peace of software on my comp every time they pop-up with "new releases". Good thing is that everything is OK now, but what surprises me is the fact that till one month ago interactive video on mobile platforms was not possible with Articulate 360 because of that bug which freezes videos on mobile phones. 

Katie Riggio

Good morning, Melissa!

We released a fix for the issue where videos wouldn't replay when revisiting slides in Update 10, so let's make sure you get the latest support! 

• Which version of Storyline 360 are you using? I used Update 46 where the video on a layer replays on revist in Review 360 and during preview: Here's a quick video demothe Share link
  • Would you mind sharing your .story file with me for a closer look? You can upload it through this private link.
Steven Croft

Hi Katie,
Just jumping in here before I post an issue or raise a ticket. I'm having an issue with a video on the base layer with hotspots overlaid at several points along the SL timeline. 
On initial play through everything is fine, but on trying to reset everything at the end, if the user would like to try again, results in:
a - everything resetting but the video doesn't play automatically
b - I can get the video to restart but the the hotspots don't function/react to the mouse, which makes me think the video timeline is playing, not the SL timeline? If that's possible!
Any thoughts?
Thanks
Steve

Cassie Hartman

I've also ran into this issue when I had a video on my slide I've wanted to have the user optionally replay. What worked for me was adding a replay button on the slide with the following triggers:

(in this order)

1- Jump to time 0s

2 - Resume timeline

3 - Play Media (and select the video on the slide)

I've also designated the layer to reset to initial state, but am not sure it's a factor.