Articulate 360's Demo and Software Simulation

I am doing a bit of research for my company.   We have roughly 12 eLearning developers that manage our 300 courses.  Our courses are updated on a 6-month cycle and are typically used for demos and "how-to" videos on our proprietary software.

We've been using Captivate since we began and are in between a subscription to Cap2017 and SL360.  We do not necessarily track a pass/fail score, as most of our courses are customer facing and support their adoption of our software.

From the developer's experience, how does SL360's demo and software simulation compare to Captivate 9/2017's version?  

Are there any pitfalls or issues that we should be aware of before making a decision?

Keep in mind, our current use is roughly 90% demo and a walk through a process while the remaining 10% includes knowledge transfer/minor knowledge assessments.

Thanks in advance, this has always been a great community!

6 Replies
Zsolt Olah

Hi Mat,

For years, we used to use Captivate for simulations. Even when Storyline 1 and 2 came out, we were still on Captivate just for recording simulations. Up to the point where we built everything in Storyline, and then inserted a Captivate simulation inside. :)

The last two years we switched to just using Storyline 2 (and now  SL 360). Most of the simulations were walk-throughs with pop-ups and explanations. 

When the client needed practice, we recorded once, and then published it both for demo and practice. I haven't used the latest Captivate by my developers said there was no difference for them in development time when they switched to Storyline. And they solved the hassle of importing it into Storyline after.

I'm not sure if Storyline included the publishing as video option yet, that was the only thing we didn't have if the client wanted an actual video with no interactions.

Maybe someone can chime in whether publishing as video is an option in SL 360?

Matt Sustaita

Thank you for the insight and all the help.  This thread was a bit of a "dry run" to illustrate how great the Articulate community is, and will be a "selling point" for the product.

@nicole-  I apologize for the multiple threads!  I couldn't figure out where to post this question.

Thanks for everything, I'll jump on a 60-day trial and get going on some development.

-Matt S.