Closed captions for review 360 videos

May 25, 2022

Hi, I was wondering if the option is being explored to add closed caption files to videos uploaded to Review 360? This would be beneficial to have to included when exporting the video for LMS.

Pinned Reply
Kelly Auner

Hi Nisha, Philip, and Anna!

I have some great news to share. We just released another update for Storyline 360. In Update 73, we’ve included important fixes and new features!

One new feature we’ve included:

Boost video accessibility by including closed captions when publishing projects as MP4 video files.

To take advantage of this update, launch the Articulate 360 desktop app on your computer, and click the Update button next to Storyline 360. You'll find our step-by-step instructions here.

Please let me know if you need additional help!

13 Replies
Philip Roy
Nisha Makan

Hi Philip, neither, I am referring to videos uploaded directly to Review 360 instead of via an authoring tool. The advantage to this is you can then publish a SCORM-compatible version of the video with video playback controls and set the completion of the SCORM to be based on % of the video that the learner has watched.

I want to know if I can upload a closed caption file to a video, like you can in Rise.

Philip Roy

OK, I confess this is the second thread I've posted in where I've read about Review and SCORM and I'm lost as I'm not sure Review even has that functionality...so apologies, I've not been of much help. This might help?

SCORM Video Wrapper using Review - Review 360 Discussions - E-Learning Heroes (articulate.com)

Kelly Auner

Hi Nisha,

Thank you for reaching out! We appreciate your feedback and love to hear what features would be beneficial to you. You can upload videos directly to Review 360, but we currently don't have the option to include closed captioning in those videos. 

If you would like to track completion based on the percentage of the video that the learner watched, you can try this out in Storyline.

• Insert your video to a slide and add closed captioning.
  • Calculate completion percentage based on timeline length. To do this, you can set a trigger to Complete course when timeline reaches X minutes Y seconds. I've included this screenshot as an example.

Windows 10 2022-06-01 at 4.23.41 PM

• Enable video playback controls
  • Publish for LMS distribution

Please let me know if you have additional questions! We are happy to take a look at your specific project here, or privately through a support case. We will delete it from our systems when troubleshooting is complete. 

Kelly Auner

Hi Nisha, Philip, and Anna!

I have some great news to share. We just released another update for Storyline 360. In Update 73, we’ve included important fixes and new features!

One new feature we’ve included:

Boost video accessibility by including closed captions when publishing projects as MP4 video files.

To take advantage of this update, launch the Articulate 360 desktop app on your computer, and click the Update button next to Storyline 360. You'll find our step-by-step instructions here.

Please let me know if you need additional help!

Heather Vogt

To make sure I'm clear, Rise does not have closed captions on videos in SL blocks even if they have CC in the video player. Is that correct? I did that - grabbed an MP4, dropped it in the SL video player, imported captions and added the SL project as a Review block in Rise - and my CC still doesn't show up.

The only way to get closed captions in Rise is to have it generated with my MP4 (which is not possible in Camtasia or Vyond).

In addition, where are you all getting closed captions capabilities? For it being a standard for accessibility, I'm surprised I can't do it anywhere. 

Thanks for any insight!

Jose Tansengco

Hi Heather, 

Happy to chime in!

I can confirm that Storyline 360 courses with videos and captions that have been embedded as blocks in a Rise 360 course should be able to display its captions. Here's a sample Rise 360 course with an embedded Storyline 360 block where you can see the captions display properly.

Since your Storyline 360 project isn't displaying its captions correctly when added to a Rise 360 course, would you be willing to share a copy of your project file here or in private by opening a support case so we can take a closer look at what's happening? We'll delete it when we're done testing!