Downloading Xliff files in Rise - different output

Hello everyone, I am facing some issues exporting the XLIFF files from our courses in Articulate Rise. 

I previously downloaded the same courses in the XLIFF format, however now I get xlf files with the internalised html and the file original code missing. The segmentation in the new downloaded file is also very different and poor.

As we already prepared these courses for translation and they are currently with the linguists, it would be quite problematic if we need to reprepare everything from scratch.

Is there a way to download the same format as before? What is this issue due to?

Thanks!

Valeria

61 Replies
Rory Lavender

Thanks to Craig for that workaround using tranzapp. The other solution proposed by Articulate  requiring Twitter to get the new XLIFF file is totally unacceptable. My company has not jumped into Rise because of its previous issues with Storyline not playing nice with our LMS. That seems to have improved but translation to multiple languages (20+) is key for us. We like the Storyline process for this but were hoping to move to Rise for some newer deliverables. I have to say that jumping in to this fray as from yesterday is very concerning to me. I have seen even older threads were Articulate has seemed to have gone silent on Rise translation issues. Has anyone else used Craig's workaround and decided that was good enough to use Rise with multiple languages? Or, is Storyline the better solution for now? I know - I am asking for a crystal-ball answer, but it seems like quite a few of you have really had issues here. Have you stopped using Rise as a result? Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Eckart Fischer

Hi Rory,

I was one of the commentators above.

In the meantime we don't have any issues with export/import anymore. We can import the translated files within a second in Rise.

Currently we handle only 4 languages (German, English, Chinese, Japanese), but it should easily work with 20+ languages, too, due to the high speed of the import/export process.

I can't complain anymore. No workaround needed anymore.

Rory Lavender

That is excellent news. Thanks for clarifying. I need to ask a question on your process if you don't mind. Are you using a website, like tranzapp, to generate the translation or Excel? If Excel, then I must be missing something because when I open the xlf file in excel, I just see one block of mashed up text. What am I missing? Many thanks.

Eckart Fischer

To my knowledge you always need to use a software that can handle XLIFF files (have you googled whether there is an Excel extension that can handle XLIFF?).

We tested Tranzapp only for the workaround (to change the document ending from XLIFF to XLIF), and it worked fine. Our Japanese colleagues used Tranzapp ones to localize an online course. It worked fine, too.

When you open a XLIFF file in Word or a text editor it will always look like in your screenshot.

Our standard process is that we send the XLIFF-file to our translation office. They use Trados which can import and export XLIFF files easily.

Best regards,

Eckart / Germany

Hanneke Portier

Hi Rory:

I used to have translation issues as well with Rise. The .xlf/.xliff problem has been resolved. (Even if it says 'Export XLIFF file', it will export a .xlf file.)

However, I discovered by trial and error that the translated .xlf file can only successfully be imported in the original course. If you try to import the file into a duplication of the course, you get an error message. So, you can duplicate the course, import the .xlf file in the original course, then duplicate the translated course, import the next .xlf file into the original, now translated, course etc. We have 12 languages we do this for.

I am sure there is a technical explanation why it has to happen that way.... Maybe Articulate can add this to their 'Translation' section in Rise?

Crystal Horn

Hello, Hanneke and Rory! To make sure we're on the same page, you'll want to first duplicate your course, and then generate your translation file from the duplicate. You're right, Hanneke, that the translation file will only work for the course from which it was made.

Let me know if I'm misunderstanding you, though!

craig Sumner

When I translated a course into six modules, I duplicated my course 6 times but only had one .xlf export from the original, I then had 6 individual translation .xlf files from the company I used sent back to me and  I used these for all the duplicates I had created, I did not have to produce 6 individual .xlf files and have each translated into something different.