Embedding Rise output/link into Canvas LMS

Mar 01, 2017

Hello, I am new to Rise and Canvas and before progressing with the course build I need to know if these programs are compatible. Apparently Canvas is not SCORM or AICC compliant. I would prefer to have quiz results recorded in the LMS. Is this achievable? Thanks

54 Replies
Elizabeth Dennis

There are so many replies here that I couldn't read them all.

If you didn't find your answer - The quiz will record in the Canvas Gradebook if you import it as a graded item. Then no matter what points you assigned in Rise, Canvas is going to reassign points, so go into the assignment and edit the points possible. 

Elizabeth Dennis

By the way, one more thought. When an LMS is not "SCORM Compliant" it doesn't mean the SCORM file won't work in the LMS. It means that all of the LMS is not compliant with al SCORM regulations and you probably won't be able to pull per-question-quiz analytics. Other than that, it will load and you can set it to report to the Gradebook. 

Last I heard they are exploring the ability to be "more" SCORM" compliant as far as per-question-quiz analytics. The great thing is they have been building out a new LMS called Bridge which is designed for corporate talent management and training. The reason I say this is great news for Canvas SCORM users is once they build it for Bridge, they are much more likely to build it out in Canvas. 

Michael Rosenberger

I had another college call and ask me about adding Rise content to Canvas just yesterday.  I did some testing this morning and seems to all work for me, so not sure what issues others are having. Signed up for the Rise/360 trial (we own SL3) and used the Health and Welness sample to test with. 

• I exported the RISE content for LMS, SCORM 1.2, set 'Track using Quiz Results' and selected the welness quiz, and set reporting for Passed/Failed (this really shouldn't matter since we are only interested in the percentage for points).

• Then I used use the SCORM LTI tool in Canvas to upload the .zip, set it as a graded assignment, and that was it.

--

• Also tested the content in the Canvas Student App and it launches the external LTI and passes the grade through fine.

• Further testing changing the default 100 points on the canvas assignment to something else and points calculate correclty based on percentage.

Mind you, this was a quick test in Canvas wit the Test Student and another course with a student profile, but all seemed to work well. And the dynamic responsive design is SOOOO much nicer than when we were using iframes and the scaling would kill things.

John Fischer

Hi:  Thank you for sharing this.  One additional question for anyone who might be able to help. Using the method that Errol gave, I can now link to a RISE module that pops up in a new window without using the extra button in Canvas. We find it confusing because once someone closes the RISE module, if using the Assignment method, the page they're left with says to refresh to continue. So, Errol, this method was very useful. Now, the question - Our RISE module has the green checkmarks in the Index area so users know where they left off in the RISE module. Using Errol's method, it opens a new instance of the RISE module each time and doesn't keep track of the last part of the module a user completed.  Can anyone suggest how to not use the Canvas Assignment method for linking to a RISE module in a new page but also keep the RISE green checkmarks for users so they know where they left off?

Allison LaMotte

Hi Marianne,

I’m sorry that you’re having some trouble here.

Did you try uploading your course to SCORM Cloud to see if you experience the same behavior?

That's what we generally recommend doing to determine whether the problem stems from the course or the LMS. Here's an article that walks you through how to do that.

If it works correctly on SCORM Cloud, then the problem is coming from the LMS and you'll need to talk to your provider.

If you see the same issue on SCORM Cloud, then the problem is likely coming from the course itself. If that's the case, please reach out to our support team.

In the meantime, if there's anything else I can do to help, please let me know!

Ewan Chamings
John Fischer

Can anyone suggest how to not use the Canvas Assignment method for linking to a RISE module in a new page but also keep the RISE green checkmarks for users so they know where they left off?

Anyone got a method that covers this aspect?

Doesn't seem to work with the SCORM assesments route (why is all SCORM assumed to be assessments anyway ) or by uploading the contents of a SCORM zip and linking to the SCOM package \index.html either.

MARY GOZZA-COHEN

Errol, in doing so does the Rise module open in Canvas?  I also previously had an issue that required me to upload it as an assignment which created a gradebook entry and I could not hide that entry from students in Grades.  The way it was functioning created a great deal of confusion and questions from students.