Google Analytics at Page Level in Rise

May 18, 2017

Hi Guys

One of the benefits of using Rise is that we have been able to host training outside the LMS and embed links within products. This allows us to embed those links with software products and people are able to consume training easily.

However tracking goes for a toss since Google Analytics only works at an index.html level for now.

Is there a way we can see how much time is being spent on what topic in rise?

Warm Regards

Akshay

52 Replies
Zsolt Olah

I don't really use Google analytics but it seems like you can add a custom field to the page: 

Specifying fields at creation time
An optional fields object may also be passed that allows you to set any of the analytics.js fields at creation time, so they will be stored on the tracker and apply to all hits that are sent.

ga('create', 'UA-XXXXX-Y', 'auto', 'myTracker', {
  userId: '12345'
});

And as with all calls to the ga() function, the fields object may also be used to specify all of the fields together:

ga('create', {
  trackingId: 'UA-XXXXX-Y',
  cookieDomain: 'auto',
  name: 'myTracker',
  userId: '12345'
});

See the create method reference for more comprehensive details.

So, in theory, you could set the optional field to the page identifier from the URL. 

https://www.rabbitoreg.com/demo/atd2017/#/list/5jQrLIuFk_JP1xPDTVmvh5e5IV_evZJa?_k=udt1j0

Whatever the "k" equals to is a unique identifier for each page. You could grab that from the URL and create the tracking based on that. 

Not tested, just an idea.

Heather Beaudoin

I'm evaluating Rise right now just for this same purpose. Akshay, I'd be interested in hearing your results... and I'm curious to hear more about how you're using Rise for product training.

Are you creating links to the content directly within pages of a web-based product?

Are you able to secure the Rise pages so they can't be accessed directly through their URL without being logged into the product?

Akshay Iyer

Hi Heather, my primary aim is to make the education as open as possible while allowing us to track user behavior. In this case, the rise package will be exported as web only with google analytics tracking enabled and hosted within the subdomain of a SaaS product. Hence, not too concerned about locking content. In fact, i would argue the opposite and say content is a commodity that should be open and drive people towards buying or experiencing the product.

I will keep you guys posted on any breakthroughs we make on the detailed tracking effort. Meanwhile it would be a feature request for the articulate side to look at how to enable tracking by creating some kind of widget where we can enter the code in each section.

Content is now a commodity and will be more open instead of being tied to an LMS. We would expect it to be easily tracked with Google Analytics by giving it as an OOTB feature.

Akshay Iyer

Hey, we tried using custom fields and made some initial breakthroughs. Then I think Articulate went through a software update where they changed the way rise content is published and it made all our research null and void. We need Articulate to support us with this piece. The beauty of the tool is that it allows you to create great content quickly and they need to figure out some OOTB functionality that makes tracking easier. Some of my stakeholders were also talking about the SEO value of this content and if its possible to get articulate to support editing of meta tags etc.  

CDES Team

Hi Ashley,

I am new to Articulate Rise. I have created a sample page in Articulate Rise.

Could you please let me know how to track the users accessing this URL?

Please note that I just want to share this type of URL with users for providing them access to contents and want to track the users accessing the URL.

Thanks.

Taylor Goldsberry

This really needs to get implemented. Articulated LMS is well above the average cost of most LMS software with the same functionality. Additionally, for those that have a knowledge base where we will be embedding the RISE content makes the feature integral to a healthy training platform. 

Stephanie Bandli

Hi all, so I may have found a work around for this! I am just testing it at the moment so if everyone could please click on this link I can see if data feeds through :) If it works I'll definitely make a short tutorial on how to set it up :) Hey all, I think I've found a solution to this! Could you click on my link so I can see if data feeds through? If it works I'll create a tutorial :) http://s3.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/stephtesting/index.html#/