Learning Journal In Rise

Dec 05, 2018

UPDATE JUNE 2020:

Firstly, Articulate recently implemented a small update to Rise. As a result, all new exports from Rise will need to include the most recent version of LearningJournal.js which is found at the usual link.

Secondly, at any time Articulate could update their code and bring a breaking change to the Learning Journal. Over a year ago, I shared this functionality freely with the community and the code comes with no warranty or support either implied or expressed. If at any time you want or need to remove the Learning Journal from your modules, simple remove any STATEMENT-NOTE entries that refer to the Learning Journal.

I built a cool Learning Journal feature for Rise that has been very well-received. I thought I'd share it in case anyone wanted to a. use it or b. improve on it.

The Learning Journal allows the learner to enter text responses to journal prompts throughout a Rise course. At the end of the course, the learner can print their learning journal of all their responses. The responses are saved to the browser so that they persist on future visits to the Rise course.

EDIT May 2019: At the request of a member of the forum, I created a HOW-TO video below that shows each step of the HOW-TO document in action.

Example Rise Course
http://amelangrise.s3.amazonaws.com/learningjournal/index.html

HOW-TO Document
https://github.com/mikeamelang/learning-journal/raw/master/Learning%20Journal%20HOW-TO.docx

HOW-TO Video

https://360.articulate.com/review/content/33873893-2ea1-46d9-9415-3efca951d74c/review

Learningjournal.js file (right-click and save)

http://raw.githubusercontent.com/mikeamelang/learning-journal/master/Learningjournal.js

Learningjournal.css file (right-click and save)
http://raw.githubusercontent.com/mikeamelang/learning-journal/master/Learningjournal.css

Project github site
https://github.com/mikeamelang/learning-journal

I would love any feedback and help to improve the functionality and code.

Mike Amelang

279 Replies
Mike Amelang

I'm sorry to hear that it isn't working for you. It's working for me.

1. Did you refresh using Control-F5? (This overrides the cache and forces the browser to re-download the new code.)

2. Please send me more information about your environment: browser version, OS, mobile/desktop.

3. Do you have a Rise course you can share with me so I can troubleshoot directly?

Mike

Roxanne  Myles

Problem:  We are using the input box - but sometimes we have very long questions and very long answers.  To make things easier on the eye for the user, we put in spaces to avoid having a massive chunk of text. For example, I have added a line space below here to break up the text!

Unfortunately, we have noticed that during the export process, the js file is not pulling out all of our text.  This results in none of text being shown (after line space has been put in before it)!  Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

Cristy Welsh

Hi Mike, 

This is exactly the solution I have been looking for. 

I've applied all instructions and have had success loading into Moodle. However, when I try load exactly the same files in to Learn Upon, it doesn't work and the notes turn up, rather than the text entry boxes. Any troubleshooting advice on this one? 

Cheers

Judy McDonough

Hi Mke:

This is wonderful!  Unfortunately, I can't open the Word doc you attached with the instructions and, more importantly, the code.  Am I the only one who's having trouble with the Word doc?  Is it possible for you to email it to me?  I apologize for being difficult and appreciate any assistance (however large or small).  :-) 

Kerry Coombes

Hi Mike,

This is the perfect tool for a project I'm working on and the client LOVES it! He's very excited.

I was wondering if there's a quick and easy way to remove the Action button from the journal buttons. I'm not a coder so I'm not confident enought to mess with the  CSS or javascript myself, but I can follow instructions so if you know a way to remove this button permanently, then I am all ears.

Thank you

Kerry

Elizabeth Sexton

Thank you so much!!! This is a HUGE deal. One thing - given I am by no means an expert - I had trouble following you through the last few steps of the video (re-zipping the index.html) and spent hours trying to figure out where SCORM etc. were located. The fact is the process worked even though it looked like it had not. The easy way to find out - go back to Rise and check your course! That BEAUTIFUL LITTLE JOURNAL was sitting there the whole time. Oh I am a happy lady today!

Karyn Jones

Wow, Mike! This is incredible! Thank you so much for sharing your creation. I have no clue about coding but your resources were so easy to follow and it works so well!

I am using the "export to LMS" option and all of the components work well when I am accessing our LMS via the web (desktop and mobile).

I am running in to an issue when I try to "Print my journal" via the LMS app on iPhone (not yet tested on android). Our LMS provider has said that this is due to the document wanting to open in another tab/window. Do you know if there is any code that I can add/remove/adjust to help address this?

Thanks again for sharing, this is brilliant!

LaRhonda Jefferson

Mike,

Thank you so much for sharing this tool.  I've been playing around with your js and I'm needing to eliminate the Print Actions button.  Is there not a way to keep this button from appearing? I tried commenting it out and then all of the buttons disappeared. Also, even when I put Take Action: no - in the Journal Entry, the Print Actions button still appears.

Any advice?

Cristy Welsh

Hi Mike, 

I have previously gotten this to work really well for me. I am trying to do it all again and following the exact procedure but when I open the .html file once I've added the Js and CSS files, and edited the html code the journal doesn't appear and the note boxes are still seen. 

Any reason you can think of why this might be happening? I have re-downloaded all the files and started from scratch again and it still won't work. 

Thanks

Jen