NEW in Rise: Export for Translation

Jun 13, 2018

If you need to create courses in multiple languages, you’re going to love this new Rise feature. It allows you to export your course text to an XLIFF file* and then reimport it once it’s been translated. Like magic: all your text is replaced by the translated text. It’s that easy!

NEW in Rise: Export for Translation
*XLIFF files are a translation industry standard, so if you’re working with professional translators, then you shouldn’t have any issues. But what if the translations are being done by a fellow coworker or friend? No problem! If you do a quick Google search, you’ll find a ton of free tools that allow you to easily edit XLIFF files.

183 Replies
sven Ringger

Thank you for your proposal, Articulate should, again, enjoy the fact that they can thus escape their duty to solve the problem... But it's not a solution for us. We have projects in between 10 and 20 languages each, with hundreds of files to process. I don't want to be dependent on a third party service, we paid Articulate to have a product that works!
BR

Justin Grenier

Hello, everyone.

Thanks for weighing in to let us know how important it is for us to get XLIFF translation right in Rise. We hear you, and we understand this is impacting you. Our team will be reaching out to each of you directly to schedule some focused time to get your feedback on the best way to fix this.

Just one clarification here - Jeff is not working with our team on this. I want to be clear in case folks think he’s acting on behalf of Articulate.

You'll hear directly from our team today.

raymond seguin

Hi, I am using a trial version of Rise and intended to purchase. However, this "easy translation" feature that was of great appeal to us seems to be flawed and buggy, requiring a third-party to help resolve. Before sending a .xlf file to translators, I tested an output, then direct import (no changes to the file) and received the same error message as above. Obviously, there is an issue on the Rise side. 

Allison LaMotte

Hi Raymond,

I'm sorry you ran into issues with the translation feature during your free trial. I went ahead and submitted a support case on your behalf. Our support team will be in touch with you shortly to help you get to the bottom of this.

In the meantime, if there's anything else I can do to help, please let me know!

Louise Kjellerup

Hi.

We're experiencing a problem with Russian/Cyrillic font. We've successfully imported the Russian translation of a course - but the font is not shown right.

We've followed all the steps in the guidelines (i.e. created a new custom font that includes Cyrillic, and Cyrillic Extended, had this transformed into .woff and imported to Rise.) We called the new font set 'Roboto Cyrillic' - but it doesn't make any difference to the appearance of the text whether we choose this or any other font.

Should/could something be changed in the .xlf-file ? - or elsewhere?

Thanks.

Anthony Karcz

Hi, Louise! I'm sorry that you're having trouble getting your fonts to display properly. It sounds like you might have already done this, but I wanted to make sure you've downloaded the full Google Font set for your Rise 360 fonts as detailed in this article.

If you've already completed those steps and see the same results, then the quickest way to resolve this issue is to have our Support Team take a look. Please submit a case here, and we'll get you back on track.

Allison LaMotte

Hi everyone,

Some of you have told us that the tags we add to XLIFF exports (to preserve formatting) make those files hard to work with. 

If you’re one of those people, I’ve got some great news! You now have the option to discard that formatting in order to make XLIFF files easier to work with. Here’s more information on how that works. 

Keep in mind that if you decide not to include these HTML tags, any custom text formatting (size, color, boldness, etc.) that you’ve applied will be lost when you import your translation.

We've also reduced extra spaces in the export files so that they work better with third-party translators.

We’re hoping that these changes will relieve the pain that some of you have been experiencing with translation in Rise.

Thanks for your patience as we worked on this solution! 

Let me know if you have any questions.

Allison LaMotte

Hi Irina,

You now have the option to disable formatting when you export for translation. I would start by trying that out and seeing how that works with Trados. If that doesn't fix the problem you're having, I would try using the instructions provided in the Trados community.

If neither of these solutions work, please let me know and I'll have our support team reach out to you.

Allison LaMotte

Hi Enrico,

Did you use a translation tool to edit the .xlf file? Or did you try to edit it manually? 

In most cases we've found that people run into this issue when they try to manually translate the XLIFF file instead of using translation software. XLIFF files are complex and often when people try to manually translate them, they don't replace the necessary text in order for the translation to import correctly. If you've tried to translate the course manually, that's likely what's going on here.

If you used translation software, please reach out to our Support Team so they can take a look. You can submit a case here.

In the meantime, if there's anything else I can do to help, please let me know!

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Mary Ellen,

It looks like you used a tool called Online XLIFF Editor, is that right?

We tested that translation tool on our side, and we saw the same issues you saw. It appears the tool isn't populating all the course text for translation.

We uploaded the same translation file to another tool, SDL Trados 2019, and all of the text populated correctly. 

The issue seems to be with Online XLIFF Editor, since the same XLIFF file works fine with a different translation tool. Do you have another translation tool you can use? 

If you'd like our team to test your XLIFF file in SDL Trados 2019, we'd be happy to help here!