NEW in Rise: Export for Translation

Jun 13, 2018

If you need to create courses in multiple languages, you’re going to love this new Rise feature. It allows you to export your course text to an XLIFF file* and then reimport it once it’s been translated. Like magic: all your text is replaced by the translated text. It’s that easy!

NEW in Rise: Export for Translation
*XLIFF files are a translation industry standard, so if you’re working with professional translators, then you shouldn’t have any issues. But what if the translations are being done by a fellow coworker or friend? No problem! If you do a quick Google search, you’ll find a ton of free tools that allow you to easily edit XLIFF files.

183 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Angelique, 

The recent fixes released to Rise for XLIFF files did change the file extension to end in XLF, but those two file types should be interchangeable (similar to a JPG and JPEG). 

If you've run into trouble with the translation files after the latest update, I'd like to get copies into the hands of my Support Team to test.

Can you share the following with me here or click here to start a case:

1. The .xlf you've exported.
2. The .xlf you are trying to import.
3. Information on the tool (if any) you are using for translation.

Thanks in advance for sharing those, and we'll get you back up and running as soon as possible! 

Grupo Asís

Hi to all,

We are also experiencing problems with the new format that Rises exports. There are several changes in the xml (for example, the html tags are replaced by <g> placeholders) that are not compatible with the programs we use to translate. The new format does not seem to works in the free editor that you recommended in the previous version of Rise (http://xliff.brightec.co.uk/).
Please, can you keep the previous version? It is very important for us, we think that it is a mistake to implement such big changes without warning, we have a project stopped due to this.

Thanks in advance!

Regards, 

Diego from G.A.

Ivor Thynne

Hi Martika,

The steps still state it is a XLIFF but it still produces the text in  XLF format!

This format change has led to an increase in both cost and timeline challenges for us, as we had to get the previous 1.2 XLIFF files re-engineered to work and now they require further engineering to enable them to make use of the translation memories in the Trados system. 

Not good!

Why could you not use the same method as A360 as that works fine! 

Salome Bucher

Hi all, 
we are experiencing the same probem. The export produces the text in XLF format and if we try to import the translated XLF file an error message appears that says: 

Import failed: Check formatting or re-export translation.

So far with the XLIFF export everything worked perfect.
Is there any workaround or the possibility to downgrade to the version before that upgrade?

Ivor Thynne

Hi Salome,

I am just getting the exported XLF files localized as we speak, are you saying that when they are done Rise will not accept them?

If so this is a MASSIVE problem, I have launch deadline commitments and the additional cost for the localization which is already costing thousands for something that may not import back into the Rise course.

Support, is there any definite solution to this issue as I really need to ensure this works, there is a lot riding on it!!!!     

Salome Bucher

Hi Ivor, 

yes, it really seems that Rise is not accepting the .xlf file. I just tried a simple import of the  original export file without translating it and I still get the same error message: error message

I am in the same situation as you are with deadlines and delivery promised, so I would really appreciate if the support team can help very soon with this issue. 

Jeff Weiser

Hi folks out there that need to translate files! At Smartcat, we were thrilled to see that Articulate recommends working with us on translations with Rise, since our service is free. However, files can be tricky, so please contact me directly if you need help. Glad to.

Best regards,

Jeff Weiser

jeff@smartcat.ai

Translation Technology Advisor               
Book Time: https://meetings.salesloft.com/smartcatai/jeffweiser?length=15
+1.617.925.6937

Jeff Weiser

Salome, did you get the help you need? I have found that some translation tools don't handle the coding of the Rise files properly and they need touching up. Our support team at Smartcat knows how to do this and can help you out in the future.

Jeff Weiser

jeff@smartcat.ai

Translation Technology Advisor               
Book Time: https://meetings.salesloft.com/smartcatai/jeffweiser?length=15
+1.617.925.6937

sven Ringger

Am I the only one who feels that the bugs and problems reported on this forum systematically seem to be answered by bots? Always the same answer "we will forward to our support", under the understanding that with a little luck a member of the community will bring free solutions. Hey Articulate, your product is a commercial product that you sell expensive, your customers are entitled to get concrete answers to the problems that your product imposes on them. A bug is not a request for functionality to prioritize according to your development backlogs, they are problems to solve all the more quickly as they are blocking for YOUR CLIENTS!!!! The problem described above by Julien has been lying around for months on your forum and has still not been solved. It involves very high manual intervention costs, and for any answer Articulate answers "we are looking into it"??? It's not serious and personally I wonder if we can really continue to recommend Articulate to our customers. Other solutions exist on the market and offer serious support. It would be time for Articulate to rebalance their staff between marketing and developers. The latter must not be very numerous....

BR
a customer for many years but who is at the end of his patience

Matt Bradshaw

Hi Sven,

No you are not the only one.  The issues that Articulate have introduced with the supposed improvement to the translation feature have resulted in a massive amount of manual work for us and a huge translation bill due to previously built-up translation memory being more or less rendered useless.

We've had to give up on the translation feature and gone back to manually duplicating the courses and applying translation section by section.

We are already now looking to move away from Articulate altogether which is a real shame as we've invested a lot of time into the products over the years but the recent issues seem to suggest that they are completely detached from the pressures being experienced in the field.

Thanks,

Matt

Jeff Weiser

Matt, Sven, all: I had a call with Julien (from above) and I'm already helping him fix his files. We will soon be helping Articulate fix these issues as well. They are not a problem that is difficult to solve for us.

Book some time with me today or Monday and I'll troubleshoot any issues you have, or get you prepared for your next translation.

Best regards,

Jeff Weiser
Account Executive - Americas
+1.857.326.5868
smartcat.ai