Poor image quality when uploading an image with Rise

Apr 10, 2017

Hello,

I created and saved-for-web a .png image in Photoshop. When I uploaded it with Rise (as a centered image in my blocks-lesson), it converted it with poor quality. Is it possible to avoid those artifacts? Looks not so good when a course is viewed on PC screen.

Thank you!

Pinned Reply
Alyssa Gomez

Hi everyone!

Do you have an image that looks blurry in Rise 360? We've designed a workaround to keep your images looking crystal clear.

If you'd like an image to keep its specific file format and not undergo compression, you can opt-out of image optimization on a case-by-case basis. Add _NOPROCESS_ to the name of your image file. It'll upload and display exactly as you saved it. Keep in mind that the 5GB file size limit still applies, and you could see an increase in your output file size.

248 Replies
Eric Fox

Why is there no fix for this more than two years later? It shouldn't be that complicated. Rise is using some pretty crappy image compression tools or algorithms that need to be looked at and fixed. As a company focused on products used to create multimedia content, getting the display of images right should be one of your core competencies. Perhaps you need to hire more or better-qualified engineers and developers? Perhaps you need to focus more on fixing existing bugs like this before investing resources in developing new features? This is not a problem that should go unresolved for  2+ years.

Alex Bradley

This is the main reason I have stopped my subscription with Articulate. Not only has it been 2 and a half years since this problem was raised with no resolution but it has been 2 and a half years of 'we're working on it' and 'it's in our pipline' and 'it's on our bug list' and 'we know about this problem'. Not once has an Articulate member of staff had the decency to be honest with us - as paying customers - and explain the real reason why it's still unresolved. Images are so important that it bewilders me that it is still an issue. I have lost patience and am voting with my feet. My subscription has ended and I won't be renewing it. It's Adobe Captivate for me from here on in! Adios! 

JC Blanchard

DPI (dots per inch) or PPI (pixels per inch) won't change anything for images displayed on screen. DPI is print resolution. It's an instruction for printers and it affects only printed images or images displayed in presention software like PowerPoint. Web browsers don't understand DPI or PPI.

What matters for on screen images is dimensions in pixels (width and height) and compression.  JPG images can look very bad with heavy compression.  But the PNG format has lossless compression so images shouldn't have any artefacts or loss of sharpness.

Articulate must be applying some type of compression after uploading to Rise because, while PNG images are still in PNG format, their size after export is much smaller than the originals. For example, I uploaded a PNG image with a file size of 132 KB. After exporting the course for web, the same image in the assets folder is only 41KB and shows signs of lossy compression.

Alyssa Gomez
Hi everyone,

We know the way Rise 360 handles image compression isn't ideal for everyone, and we've been working on an alternative. We've got something the works that we're testing as we speak, and we're planning to release it before the end of September. As always, thanks for your continued feedback, and we'll let you know as soon as the next update goes live.
Mike Wilson

Good to hear, I find every-time I come here it is to share something frustrating that has been brought up a few years before. Even worse is that you do not get a "real" human reply or just a copy paste generic support process via email and nothing else even when prompted. As much as I like the fast build in rise I feel like we are beta testing a product while paying for it. 

Gabriel Butler

Hi wonderful community. I posted this a few months ago, but thought it would be helpful to post again. We completely solved this using high quality GIFs. For some reason these render perfectly in Rise. Even super high resolution PNG's were looking awful as many of you have sighted already, but the GIF solution works beautifully until there is a more substantial software fix. Hope this helps. Cheers!

Alyssa Gomez

Hi everyone!

Do you have an image that looks blurry in Rise 360? We've designed a workaround to keep your images looking crystal clear.

If you'd like an image to keep its specific file format and not undergo compression, you can opt-out of image optimization on a case-by-case basis. Add _NOPROCESS_ to the name of your image file. It'll upload and display exactly as you saved it. Keep in mind that the 5GB file size limit still applies, and you could see an increase in your output file size.