Rise 360 - Media Could Not Be Loadedeither because the server or network failed or because the format is not supported

Aug 21, 2019

Every time that I place a video in a block on Rise 360, after exporting the content, I get a message upon viewing in my LMS that "The media could not be loaded, either because the server or network failed or because the format is not supported." I'm loading standard mp4 files, under 200 MB (when the stated limit is 5 GB). 

I've tried multiple browsers - my default Chrome, IE 11, Edge, and Safari and all are experiencing the same issue. I can see the video when I preview my Rise course or share it from the Articulate site, but not once I've exported the course and uploaded it to my LMS. 

Can anyone help me? Thank you.

58 Replies
Concetta Phillipps

@Katie, 

Alyssa and her colleagues did some heroic level work trying to figure this out from Articulate's side, and ultimately, we did determine it was an issue with our LMS reading the SCORM output from Rise because the outputs from Rise were reading just fine in other LMSes.

It took a while for our LMS to nail it, but the fix is to make sure the video name before it was uploaded was less than 15 characters. Once we did that, the block started working and appearing as normal.

Crystal Horn

Hi there, Gillian. If not all of the staff are getting this error, some of them might have something in their browser conflicting with the playback of media in the course. What has worked for me is disabling plugins or browser extensions, or even clearing the cache.

If those options aren't feasible, have those learners view the course in a private browsing window, e.g. incognito in Chrome.

Crystal Horn

Hi Ling-Hui. I'm sorry to hear that! I saw we helped with some trial issues in September, but I don't see another case more recently.

We'll reach out to you using this email to work on the video issue. We are celebrating US Thanksgiving on Thursday and Friday, so it might take us a little longer than usual.

Rob Beer

Hi there, I am also experiencing this issue too. Videos playback on review and when the link is shared with others but once its exported and loaded onto an LMS it displays errors when accessing through a mobile device. 

I have addressed the number of characters used in the video file, this has not worked. I have also reduced the file size but the same error keeps appearing. What's strange is that older modules exported on the same setting, which I have done direct copies of and added content to, play fine through the LMS on mobiles, so I can't understand why these won't. It has happened to all five modules I created. Can someone help please? 

Concetta Phillipps

Rob, if it plays on review that's a good sign. Have you tried uploading it to Scorm Cloud? That would show if its something in the Rise files. If it plays on Scorm Cloud, that means the culprit is in the LMS player. Support was super helpful with running down the very unique cause of our issue, but it might be that the SumTotal LMS player is the one where the video file character limit applies and not the player on your LMS. Same with the special characters, it might be a different LMS player. All the LMSes annoyingly customize their players so sometimes its something unique. Make sure to come back and tell us what worked! 

Ryan Thompson

I'm also having this issue. When I export my course as Web type, the videos will not play. I get the "The media could not be loaded, either because the server or network failed or because the format is not supported." error. I've simplified the mp4 file names to just be one word, less than 10 character with no special characters. That doesn't seem to help. I've also tried this in different browsers and in incognito mode and nothing seems to help. Any pointers on next steps?

Joe Reinwald

I've just hit the same issue. MP4 video in Rise plays without problems in Preview, but when I export it as LMS Scorm 1.2 the video fails to play with the message: The media could not be loaded, either because the server or network failed or because the format is not supported.

I tested with Chrome and Firefox.