87 Replies
Lisa Whalen

Pete - I have not done the tracking in Rise because I couldn't find a way to add JavaScript triggers.  I believe there have been some updates to Rise, so perhaps now we can do this with triggers, but I work mostly in Storyline, therefore, I have not had the opportunity to take another look at Rise.

Lisa - I am updating a tutorial now, which I will see if I can get permission to share.  

Lisa Whalen

Weird...I posted a reply once, but it's not showing, neither are the comments I am getting emailed about. 

I have not gotten this to work in Rise, which is why I joined this thread to begin with.  I thought I saw that there was an update to Rise that allowed us to utilize Storyline triggers, but haven't been able to find that.  I use Storyline much more than Rise.

Lisa Whalen

Thanks Ashley,  

I was actually looking for a way to use a JavaScript trigger for Google Analytics event tracking within Rise, not bring it in via a Storyline Module.  I do have both Rise and Storyline 360, but because I need to track interactivity, I stick to Storyline.

This is the link to Google Analytics event tracking.  I've created my own tutorial that includes troubleshooting; however, I am not sure my company will let me post it.  If I get permission, I will upload it right away.

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/events

Lisa Whalen

I haven't gotten the chance to ask if I could simply share my tutorial document yet, but can at least try pasting some code here.

Required Code in Head Section for Tracking Google Analytics
From Windows Explorer, right click on the published story.html file and select Open With DreamWeaver (or whatever HTML editor you use)

For the event codes to connect to Google Analytics and show, you must add the following code in the head section after the </title> tag:

Add a few lines after the </title> tag before pasting the following text exactly as it is here, other than replacing YOUR GA UUID HERE with your own Google Analytics unique identifier.

<script type="text/javascript">

var _gaq = _gaq || [];
_gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-YOUR GA UUID HERE-1']);
_gaq.push(['_trackPageview']);

(function() {
var ga = document.createElement('script'); ga.type = 'text/javascript'; ga.async = true;
ga.src = ('https:' == document.location.protocol ? 'https://ssl' : 'http://www') + '.google-analytics.com/ga.js';
var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0]; s.parentNode.insertBefore(ga, s);
})();

</script>

Via Storyline Triggers:

Create an Execute JavaScript when the User clicks trigger in Storyline for the button you would like to track the event on.

Click the Script input box to bring up an entry box to enter the code below.

_gaq.push(['_trackEvent', 'Example_Module', 'downloaded', 'course-button-xxx']);

Code Explanation 

'Example_Module' = the name of the module you are tracking events in

Note: this should be a unique name of each module you are tracking.  If you have several in a series that have the same module name, you would want to add a 1, 2, 3 after each module name to differentiate between modules you are tracking.

'downloaded' – This refers to the type of event you are tracking.  This could be downloaded, clicked, viewed, resource, etc.  The example in this tutorial is for downloading a course.  You would adjust it accordingly to your needs by way of something that makes sense to the event you are tracking, as this is how it will show in Google Analytics when you look for the reports.

xxx in 'course-button-xxx' = the name of the module they are downloading, to learn more

Below is an example from a test module to track a module called 'ga-test-course', with a button to track downloads 'downloaded', for a content called 'CIG-button'

_gaq.push(['_trackEvent', 'ga-test-course', 'downloaded', 'CIG-button']);

Hopefully this at least helps you get started.  I will ask my manager about permission to publish my document here that also has screenshots.

Lisa Whalen

I cannot use it in Rise, which is why I reached out to see if it can be done or if it could be added as a possiblility directly in Rise like it is in Storyline.  I have, however, added Storyline pieces in Rise and obtained Google Analytics that way, via the SL module.  However, I cannot find a way to add the individual javascript triggers in Rise on particular items.  It would be WONDERFUL and I could use Rise more if that option was added.  HINT HINT, lol

Lisa Whalen

I have received permission from my company to post my generic version of the Google Analytics event tracking tutorial that we use in Storyline.  You can bring Storyline modules into Rise and obtain event tracking via the imported Storyline module.  In that scenario, you would need to import the Storyline file as a block in Rise and add the main Google Analytics javascript code to the head section of the main index.html file.  This will let Google know to send event tracking and general Google Analytics to your Google Analytics account.

Note: If you insert a Storyline file into Rise that contains Google Analytics for tracking events, you can also obtain Google Analytics via Rise. In this case, you would add the main code to the HEAD section of the RISE project, like you would with the Storyline files. Note, the analytics will show the general analytics (country, device type, new vs returning users) for the entire Rise project and the event details for the Storyline block only.

International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO)

Google Analytics is a very powerful tool used to measure user statistics. You can even take an exam on Google Analytics to get certified. Here are a few things you can do: 

·        Accounts & Profiles

·        Interface Navigation

·        Tracking Code

·        Interpreting Reports

·        Traffic Sources

·        Campaign Tracking & AdWords Integration

·        AdWords

·        Goals

·        Funnels

·        Filters

·        Advanced Segments

·        Cookies

·        Regular Expressions

·        E-Commerce Tracking

·        Domains & Subdomains

·        Custom Reports

·        Motion Charts

·        Internal Site Search

·        Event Tracking & Virtual Page views

Lisa Whalen

Yes and no.  You can apply general Google Analytics to the main html files from Rise outputs, regardless of Scorm 1.2 or web page, etc.  However, you cannot do event tracking in Rise yet (hoping they add a way to do this in a future release).  Therefore, you can only get general analytics like location, device, page views, etc.

If you have a Storyline block in Rise that does have triggers in it for event tracking, then that is how you can get event tracking through Rise, but ONLY for that Storyline block.  (See the Note in my previous post for combining Rise and Storyline blocks for event tracking.)

Xtreme Lashes by Jo Mousselli

Thanks for that. The main thing we're looking for right now is page views, device, and duration spent on the page. It sounds like what you proposed would be a good fit for our needs right now. 

My company's use case is more tied to product and training sales. We want people to learn for sure, but we give a lot of free education as a hook, so we need to track conversions and see what's effective for keeping eyes on screens :)

For event tracking that involves external links, we're using bit.ly + Pardot + Salesforce. This lets us track conversions whenever we have a need to. 

Metrix Group

Hi David and the Articulate community,

Was wondering if anyone has tried out the method that you suggested above and had any success?

Would adding the Google Analytics code be useful if I am exporting the Rise course as a web output. 

If I just want to track completion of the course, do I need to do anything else? 

Thank you!

Lisa Whalen

Tracking via my LMS and GA, I export as LMS - SCORM 2004 - Edition - 4th Edition.  I also add the GA code to the header of the story.html file, as well as the other 3 in that main folder to activate the GA portion, which tells the browser to send that data to your GA account.  You can also publish for TinCan (which is really xAPI) if you have an LRS, you can track users and activity that way as well, or instead, depending on your coding expertise and comfort.