Rise - The media could not be loaded, either because the server or network failed or the format is not supported

Oct 23, 2019

Hello

I have a user who purchased a course from us experiencing an error "The media could not be loaded, either because the server or network failed or the format is not supported" when attempting to play a video in one of our courses.  She is using chrome Version 77.0.3865.120 (Official Build) (64-bit) on a laptop.  The course is being viewed from our LMS Docebo.  I have tested on this version, an older version, and an even newer version of chrome and can not reproduce the problem.

I have attached the course export settings (scorm 2004 3rd edition)

What can I suggest to this user to fix the problem?  A timely solution would be appreciated as they are a paying customer.

Thanks!

34 Replies
Julie Goldstein

Hi Crystal

Thank you for getting back to me.  Below are answers to your questions:

- so far the platform is not widely used so I don't have a large sample size, but this is the first customer to mention this issue to us

- I did not have any errors or issues uploading the content to Docebo

Crystal Horn

Thanks for that detail, Daniel. We experienced some performance issues the last two days that are detailed here. Because it was intermittent, not all authors and learners were affected.

If you're continuing to get reports from your customers, please let us know! We'll work closely with you to find out what's happening.

Crystal Horn

Hi, Daniel. You're right - your media and other assets are contained within the output and don't rely on our server once hosted on another platform. Our cloud hosting provider was mitigating a widespread issue that could have affected other platforms using their service, as well. 

If your customers are still getting this error when accessing your media content, however, we'll be happy to help!

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Daniel!

We'd love to have a closer look at your file to try and nail down why this is happening. If you don't mind sharing it, you can send it our way by clicking here.

In the meantime, we've heard that some course authors have resolved the issue by duplicating the lesson with the video, deleting the original lesson, then re-publishing the course for LMS. 

Linda Figueroa

Hi Allyssa,

I have built a course in Rise and am having the same issue playing video.  I have tried in both IE11 and Chrome.  I've also removed the button I created to exit he course and record results in LMS. The video played when I first added it and then I went back in later in the day and the error message appears every time I try to play the video. I've also removed the video and then added it back in again.

Ecolab SGMY HR

Hi Alyssa, I've encountered the same error message when I tried to play the video after exporting it to the web version. On course preview mode, both videos played fine however when exported to web, both videos showed the same error message: "the media could not be loaded, either because the server or network failed or the format is not supported". 

Could you help to advise the issue and how to resolve it? Thanks. 

EA Security

Hi, I'm getting the same error when exporting to web - have not had this happen previously. It's currently happening with a course that was previously exported and played fine. Some of the text was updated recently and on export, the videos will not play. No problem with this on the LMS, just happening with web exports.

Forgot to mention - I've tried replacing the video, renaming and replacing it to no effect. All videos in the course are affected.

Any advice? Thanks

Crystal Horn

Hi everyone! In today's update for Rise 360, we fixed an issue where video blocks sometimes displayed an error message that the media cannot be loaded.

To correct the issue for an existing course, upload the affected videos again, then export the updated course for your LMS or republish it to Review 360.

You can check out the release notes here. Have a great day!