Videos to Automatically Play in Rise

Oct 12, 2018

Is there a way to have videos automatically start to play in Rise when the user reaches that section of the session?

135 Replies
Phil Foss

That only applies to video previews in Apple's own app, the challenge for Rise is the autoplay of audio and video support will vary greatly for users, as there is a wide range of devices and browsers that will tend to block autoplay (due to those annoying video ads). I was testing some autoplay with some js, would you be willing to see if this autoplays for you when you pull it up- its just an audio file with a quick image. In Firefox it played for me, but I had to enable it in my Chrome browser, I'd be curious if others can share what they experience:
https://theme-360.com/rise/autoplay1.html

Andrew Tomko

That worked - but are you saying that you have to click on all those settings for each new site/course the user experiences? If so, there is no way my end users will do that. I just want to be able to publish a course and have the end user have a video automatically play on certain modules.

I think for now I'll go through the steps in creating an animated GIF to yield a "video" for my end-users. Would be nice though to actually have a video w/ sound play but sounds like there are too many security layers on devices that may prevent that. I appreciate you sending along these 2 resources.

Phil Foss

Yes well I think they would need to enable that per site, not each course, as long as they're all on the same domain. I'm pretty sure video playing (with audio) needs to be user-initiated. Its actually much easier to get autoplay videos with the sound muted, which is essentially the same as a gif, but filesize would be much smaller, usually. One more test if you don't mind- in my testing this background video file played in all browsers, but it is set to be muted.

https://www.tyotoys.com/collections/graffiti-blanks/products/duel1-autorack-skate-deck

ICT Training

This request doesn't appear to be progressing anywhere after 4 years, but I would still like to add my vote to this. I'm fairly new to Articulate and had grand visions of engaging our learners with all kinds of video content when they start new courses or sections, and am finding this extraordinarily restrictive to not be able to auto-play content within our own learning platform. This is a definite anti-feature.

Shane Wallis

Hi There - I know this is a pretty old post but I would also like to weigh-in on this topic and agree with what everyone is saying about wanting the option for videos to play automatically in Rise 360 courses. This should be a no brainer for your development team to make happen. As content creators we should have the flexibility to decide when incorporating this feature is appropriate for our content. Why restrict our ability to create the way we want to create? Cheers!