360 video/virtual reality/augmented reality

Jan 10, 2019

Morning all

I'm wanting to use interactive 360 videos in my courses. I've been looking at various ways to do this and noticed that Adobe Captivate 2019 has added a really cool feature called 'Virtual Reality Project'. This gives the designer the ability to add various interactions 'on top' of the 360 video. This can range from popup text/image to quizzes. I'd much prefer to use Articulate and am hoping that there is someway of creating this type of interactivity within Articulate. If it's not possible, when do you think this feature will be added? It would add such value!

It's something my clients are asking for and I know it adds another dimension to embedding the learning for their learners. It's also great fun.

Cheers
Jen

74 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Jennifer,

It's not on our roadmap to add virtual reality or 360-degree videos, but we're tracking customer demand for it. I've added this discussion to our report so we'll keep you posted here if it makes the list! 

You can see discussions such as here where some folks have set it up using web objects or similar or this discussion here provides some ideas.

Shannon Dunn

Hi Ashley, 

It's an extreme disappointment to read your response to Jennifer that this isn't on the roadmap for Articulate. I don't know about others, but this has given me pause to consider potentially jumping ship as I have a large portion of customers wanting the questions in VR, not just the content; with Articulates current roadmap layout, I'll be left behind with what other Id's are developing. 

Features combined with Monthly subscription; might just be worth the hassle of learning some new software. 

Lisa Anderson

I'm seeing both sides...I think.

Yes, it would be totally awesome for Articulate to join in on what is definitely next, in terms of learner experience. The  Z Generation only knows tech, and as they begin to populate jobs, technology and virtual is their jam. Articulate being in this space makes this the best of the best, because of the forums, the company, the ease and complexity of the Storyline, 360 capabilities.

Now, I also see value in holding. When captivate 8 came out with responsive design, it was incredibly challenging to design in the software. Constant manipulation to make sure it was truly responsive. I spent a great deal of time changing PC, tablet, and mobile responsiveness. Storyline, and 360, no manipulation, what's so ever. I've never had a problem. So I get, "waiting and seeing". 

I've attended many Captivate 2019 webinars, and it is exciting. It's also a bit clunky, like Captivate 8 was. But, it is in the space. I've lost many client bids, because I haven't designed 360 or virtual eLearning. it's expensive to get all the supporting equipment, especially if you're in your own gig, and even if your not, a company may be very hesitant to invest in the supporting equipment.

So, Articulate...put it on your roadmap! I believe the Articulate developers and engineers will get it right, and get right better, than anyone else. Let's just do it SOOOOON!

Cheers!

Andrew Robinson

Add my name to the list. My brother makes a great deal of money developing VR training through other products (not necessarily an authoring tool, but VR/AR developing kits that he builds his own environments and such). Nevertheless, the market is already there and eLearning masters alike have all predicted that VR/AR training is the way the industry is going. It would be great to have the ability to do such things (even if basic versions at first) in Articulate. 

Articulate is by far the best authoring tool I have used, but without VR/AR on the roadmap, it is worth investing int the time and potential clunkiness of other products if they offer the newest features. Not to mention they are typically cheaper than Articulate. 

Lisa Anderson

Hi Ashley,

I realize it's only been 14 days  since my last post on this subject, but thought I'd check in. Squeaky wheel and grease!  The requests for immersive interactivity is increasing beyond expectations and I'd truly prefer NOT to have move over to Captivate 2019. Sure, inserting as web objects (providing you have a website with java plugins to accommodate 360) works, but you can't put markers, hotspots, etc. for additional activity.

I know the requests for 360 VR/AR is being monitored...gonna keep pushing this up hill!

Thanks!

Adam Zamczyk

Hi All, 

and let me share my view on the 360 and VR in eLearning.
I am in the process of creating a course that will use the VR tour as the main scene. I will place a few smaller activities within this VR tour and the learner needs to do them all. 

I didn't find a tool that would allow me to track those activities in the VR tour and pass the score/result to Storyline or LMS, so at the end of every small activity, there is a word/phrase to collect that needs to be manually entered into the articulate textbox. 

As I would love to share this publicly, I can't, but if anyone is interested I can point them to the tool or help with the solutions I used. 

Phil Eagles

Following with interest.

In my opinion Articulate need to jump on this to avoid loosing users to the dreaded Captivate. Clients in general have much higher expectations from their learning than a few years ago and to stay ahead of the game Articulate really need to adopt this current growing trend of VR & AR.

Phil Eagles
Adam Zamczyk

Hi All, 

and let me share my view on the 360 and VR in eLearning.
I am in the process of creating a course that will use the VR tour as the main scene. I will place a few smaller activities within this VR tour and the learner needs to do them all. 

I didn't find a tool that would allow me to track those activities in the VR tour and pass the score/result to Storyline or LMS, so at the end of every small activity, there is a word/phrase to collect that needs to be manually entered into the articulate textbox. 

As I would love to share this publicly, I can't, but if anyone is interested I can point them to the tool or help with the solutions I used. 

Hi Adam,

I would be interested to hear what tool you're using to achieve this.

Thanks

Adam Zamczyk

Hi Phil, 

there is a ton of different software you could use to create VR tour (including free from google https://poly.google.com/tours). And then you can place this as a web object inside the storyline build.

The tricky part is to be able to insert another articulate activity inside the VR tour - I can't share exactly which platform I used (I do this for my employer and they would kill me if I share it) but I know https://www.viar360.com/ this platform has many useful features for eLearning.

I hope at some point, when our product will be public and live, I will share here on the forum.

Debbie Schubert

I agree that the demand for immersive technology, especially VR in eLearning, is growing by the minute. As employers seek workforce with all-encompassing skills, the talents who author L&T materials for these companies require their software to meet this demand. Staying ahead the curve by adding features such as VR, and offering Articulate 360 for Mac users (without needing to install a Windows environment) would benefit so many of us, without having to consider other software solutions. 

Dan Lidholm

While we are waiting for Storyline (and hopefully Rise also) to get built in VR-features, you could try to use H5P Virtual Tour (360). I have added an example from their website h5p.org, both in Rise and Storyline. The example is just linked but I guess it would be possible to download, adjust and add to the publishing folder.

I haven't tested if I can get the interaction recorded to my LMS but it has support for Tin Can. H5P.com (the commercial site) has a LRS and maybe that could be a way to get it to work.

BTW, H5P.org has many interesting modules I would love to have built into Storyline & Rise.

The Rise example

Lisa Anderson

Hi Dan,

Thank you for this tip. I checked it out and you are right! It could be a great interim option. I like the 360 sample you uploaded and it looks like there's the opportunity to upload a 360 video and similar interactivity. 

Thanks Dan...awesome!

Let's keep the thread going. One day, we'll all be surprised with a VR option!

Cheers!