360 video/virtual reality/augmented reality

Jan 10, 2019

Morning all

I'm wanting to use interactive 360 videos in my courses. I've been looking at various ways to do this and noticed that Adobe Captivate 2019 has added a really cool feature called 'Virtual Reality Project'. This gives the designer the ability to add various interactions 'on top' of the 360 video. This can range from popup text/image to quizzes. I'd much prefer to use Articulate and am hoping that there is someway of creating this type of interactivity within Articulate. If it's not possible, when do you think this feature will be added? It would add such value!

It's something my clients are asking for and I know it adds another dimension to embedding the learning for their learners. It's also great fun.

Cheers
Jen

74 Replies
Wade Murphy

Is there anywhere to upvote requests for 360/3D video/images/etc?

Especially in the pandemic - AR training is so necessary. We finally have a world where there's buy-in for effective, immersive, and scalable virtual training. 

If we don't take advantage of that - we're going to backslide once things go back to "normal". There's really no time to wait for this feature.

This is the most impactful limitation of articulate, and our team is at the point of re-evaluating choosing storyline over captivate.

Ren Gomez

Hi Wade,

Thanks for following up! Our team follows every discussion and keeps an eye on feature requests made, so rest assured we're taking every upvote into account!

A quick update on where we stand: Our 360-degree images feature had some helpful beta user feedback during the first round, so we've been actively making enhancements to get it right.

Since you're subscribed to this discussion now, you'll get notified immediately when it goes live!

Vicki Kunkel

I know I'm late to the party, but I just found this thread now. As others have said, I cannot afford to use Articulate when it does not offer a VR component. That is why I've switched back to Captivate, much to my chagrin. However, I have to go with what my clients request, and they are all requesting virtual reality and augmented reality. I will not be returning to Articulate until and unless the product has a VR offering.

Pride Smith

Any decisions made on this yet? I would love to have the VR feature added to storyline. Such a shame that it's not already implemented. It forces me to have to use Adobe Captivate for any VR projects and I'd much rather have an all in one software to use, which I guess captivate would be that software, but Articulate is such a better platform.

Maria Costa-Stienstra

Hi, everyone!

I have exciting news to share!
We just released another update for Storyline 360. In Update 54, we’ve included important fixes and new features.

One of the features we’ve included is:

Create immersive learning experiences with 360° images. Add interactive elements, such as hotspots and markers to engage learners as they explore.

360° images are currently in public beta for Storyline 360, which means you can use them for production as we continue to enhance them.

To take advantage of this feature, launch the Articulate 360 desktop app on your computer and click the Update button next to Storyline 360. You'll find our step-by-step instructions here.

Please let us know if you have any questions by posting here or directly reaching out to our Support Engineers

Concetta Phillipps

While 360 images do help, they are by far less versatile than 360 video. I guess I should say congratulations on getting up to 2016 (when most websites started getting 360 image support), but Storyline is still way behind if there's no 360 video/AR/VR support. 

I would strongly prefer to get this support in Storyline so I don't have to buy something from another company to make this work. 

Andreas Kuswara

This is a welcomed addition to Storyline, if I can get it to work. I tried to capture 360 images using several app on my Android phone, but Storyline said that all of them are not in the right ratio. What's recommended tools to use to capture the 360 images that Storyline can use well. 

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Andreas,

Did you try the panorama mode on the Android camera?

Storyline 360 supports equirectangular panoramas in all standard image formats for creating 360° image interactions. We recommend using JPG for better compression. For the best results, make sure your 360° image has a 2:1 aspect ratio.

Storyline 360: Adding and Editing 360° Images

Tom mentioned Android here as well, so I look forward to hearing from others in the community on what they are using.