64-Bit Storyline 360

Dec 16, 2016

Is there a way to access a 64-bit version of Storyline 360? I noticed what I have installed through the 360 suite is only 32-bit and I'm finding that I may be reaching a ceiling with performance while developing my courses. I click on pretty much anything in the app and have to wait a full second before Storyline 360 responds. This has slowed my production down significantly. I was wondering if there's a way to get a 64-bit version or if anyone is having a similar issue.

Thanks

Pinned Reply
Steven Benassi

Hi Everyone!

Great news! I'm happy to share that we just released Storyline 360 (version 3.82.31354.0), which includes a new 64-bit version of Storyline 360! Harness the processing power in modern computers with 64-bit Storyline 360. Large, media-rich courses benefit from increased stability and faster performance!

To use 64-bit Storyline 360, please update your Articulate 360 desktop app, then click the Install button next to the Storyline 360 app with the 64-bit and beta labels. The Install button will change to an Open button when the installation is complete.

This was highly requested, so we hope it serves you in your course creation! If you run into any snags, don't hesitate to contact our team in a support case.

118 Replies
Diarmaid Collins

It looks as if the focus for Articulate is on trying to make Rise the go-to tool for eLearning Development. They have shuttered Storyline 3, and there have been ... minimal... improvements to the absolute basic functionality within Storyline360 (has anyone tried drawing a curved line recently?) on really, really basic feature requests for nigh on 10 years.

What makes any of us think that Articulate is listening or even cares about our issues with this clunky software? Why do we think that the ability to make bespoke eLearning Solutions™ for our clients in any way benefits Articulate when, with the priority on Rise, ANYONE can make an eLearning Course with ease - "No Skills Necessary"? It's just WYSIWYG modals and text slammed in. Simples.

The idea that 64-bit development will make them money over a web-based offering that anyone can use is, sadly, delusional, I feel at this stage. It's such a pricey subscription for so many things I NEVER use in order to use an app that is shonky at best, and neglected as worse, is just infuriating to me.

Rumour had it that there was a Mac version in the pipeline a few years ago, but, yeah... 

I'm not holding my breath for any major, profound and useful update to Storyline 360 in the near future, and indeed, suspect it will be shuttered as well as soon as Rise usage gains critical mass.

/rant

Diarmaid Collins

Yes, Jurgen. Apologies. I know nothing about anything, and my opinions should be taken with a pinch of salt. I don't know what is happening in the minds of the brainiacs inside Articulate HQ.

Phil's link just now highlights my enduring anger towards management and is exemplified by their statement... "Quality First: We must prioritize Storyline quality over everything else.".

Which is all well and good, but, like, genuinely, WTAF????

Seriously? Is that statement for real? (EDIT: This is intended for Articulate, not you, Phil. I am not at all having a go at the messenger, but if you would sit still for a moment, I could get my shot in!)

It's only NOW, after taking a stocktake, that they have just realised that "Quality comes first". That's galling to see that actually written down. The "Move Fast and Break Things" model is great if you are a startup trying to get people to send nude pix.

Still, for a supposedly serious eLearning development company, one would think that, uh, maybe focussing on quality would have been THE NUMBER ONE priority to be focussed on.

Why even have a Discussions Board, which is painfully evident to everyone that it is, in fact, the defacto Support, if the powers that be have only now decided to tally all the reports of glitches, etc, and act upon them?

Yay, for 64-bit support. It's... well, one step in the right direction. But again, by the sounds of it, this is all new to them, and it could take just as long as trying to get the draw tools to function, like, you know, (insert name of kids drawing app or something incredibly basic from 20 years ago).

I still have to adjust the indent values on every bit of text with a bullet point if I change the bullet symbol or (get this) the symbol's colour. That's been there since day one.

The Format paste tool doesn't copy a shapes margins values anymore. This bug was introduced quite a few versions ago and still hasn't been resolved. 

Selecting a group of shapes and trying to change their margins to identical values also now doesn't work.

Drawing a desired curved line is the equivalent of having an aneurysm. Try it. It's so much fun.

Selecting objects on the screen is a hit-and-miss (ha - I always hit) to see if the first object clicked on remains selected. I genuinely believe Storyline only selects the items when I actually look at them. If I don't, it tries to get away with not choosing them. This has been part of my daily routine for the last eight or so years and is tiresome.

I welcome this newfound awareness of quality. It is beyond time. Make it work. Make a quality product engineered to make the build developer's life easier (universal style sheets for text formatting and other elements, such as buttons, etc.) and robust, so there are no more minor heart attacks when those error modals popup from doing something mundane, like, you know, saving and other esoteric sh!t like that.

Joanna Phillips
Rob Puricelli

Basically, a 32bit operating system can only address up to 4GB of system RAM, sometimes less if there is reserved address space. Currently, Storyline is a 32bit application and runs on more modern 64bit operating systems in a 32bit emulation mode. This process is not visible to the end user and the application performs as you would expect, but because of the limit of the 32bit architecture, the application can't address the increasing amount of RAM required.

It's really crazy that this is July 2023 and it is STILL having this issue. I wonder what it will take for Articulate to finally DO something. 

Steven Benassi

Hi Everyone!

Great news! I'm happy to share that we just released Storyline 360 (version 3.82.31354.0), which includes a new 64-bit version of Storyline 360! Harness the processing power in modern computers with 64-bit Storyline 360. Large, media-rich courses benefit from increased stability and faster performance!

To use 64-bit Storyline 360, please update your Articulate 360 desktop app, then click the Install button next to the Storyline 360 app with the 64-bit and beta labels. The Install button will change to an Open button when the installation is complete.

This was highly requested, so we hope it serves you in your course creation! If you run into any snags, don't hesitate to contact our team in a support case.

Rob Puricelli

Can't say I'm experiencing that here. The x64 version seems snappier with less lag and is, so far (touches wooden desk), stable.

It's not a blinding difference but there is a definite improvement. Whether that's just an appeal to novelty on my part, I can't say. Time will tell, I guess.

But no, definitely not r e a l l y slow ;-)