Articulate 360

Nov 09, 2016

I am confused by this new Articulate 360 and what it means for Articulate Storyline. Does this mean that no further development will occur on Articulate Storyline 2, standalone version? Will there ever be an Articulate Storyline 3? What about people who bought a platinum licence with an upgrade option who do not want to go to Articulate 360? Will they get a refund on the upgrade portion or will they be forced to go to 360 if they want to benefit from their upgrade purchase?

While I see that there is benefit, especially for new customers, to 360, I am still not sure that it is worth mine and my company's money to take a perpetual licence and change it to a subscription for what I perceive to only be minor feature enhancements.

I am open to be shown why the expense would be worth my while?

269 Replies
Chris Pim

Here's my view for what it's worth.

I hate the two streams of development and having been a loyal customer for a few years did not want a change but felt I needed to persuade my management team to pay for a 360 licence while we had the money and I appreciate for many it is prohibitively high.

I haven't used anything else in 360 apart from Storyline as I  suspected would be the case although we might in the future.

I upgraded for one reason only...getting the new features immediately. That's what i read on the support forums and that's what I understood, that as new features were rolled out 360 users would get them first. Utterly horrible solution but those new features might save hours and hours of workarounds that I did not want to wait for.

So Storyline 3 now has equity with 360 for now (core elements anyway)...but Storyline 2 customers had to wait for months to get features such as proper responsive player and HTML5 output that actually worked as it should. Either 360 users will get new features as and when (rather than waiting for incremental upgrades of Storyline 3) or they will not. If they have to wait then that's why it may be worth upgrading to 360 if you can afford it. If there will be parity in releases between Storyline 360 and 3 then I have been sold a pup and will be not amused!

Brian Allen
Harry Carter

But at least I'm reading admittance that SL3 is NOT the same as S360.

Honestly, this is what's been killing me about this thread.

Numerous times (ad nauseam) it's been stated that SL3 and SL360 are the same, EXCEPT for the features that tie in with the Articulate 360 suite. There is no "admittance" to be made, the feature comparison chart makes it clear, Articulate staffers have made it clear, folks who have used both have made it clear. Absolutely no new revelation here, no mysteries, no cover up conspiracies...

Pierre Jouan

Sorry, but a few months ago SL3 was not supposed to be equivalent to SL360 :

https://community.articulate.com/discussions/articulate-storyline/storyline-2-vs-360-sales-policy#reply-407515

"It's also worthwhile to keep in mind that after the day Storyline 3 is released, as Storyline 360 adds additional features and diverges from Storyline 3's initial feature set, 360 content containing those new features may not open in Storyline 3."

Matt Garratt

Quite right Pierre,

It would be naive to think that SL3 will remain the same as 360 for evermore. That would make no sense from a business perspective. The point is it is the same right now, and there have been ongoing post release updates since to maintain parity.

But I think there is benefit to giving thought to the future. What would the community like going forward?

I think the backlash against 360 from a lot of loyal users, including threats to go to the competition would make Articulate strategists nervous about where to from here.

Just for fun, if I was in the driving seat, I would:

1) Maintain parity between 360 and SL3 for 12 months after SL3 release.

2) Once 12 months were up announce no more feature updates to SL3 and simultaneously announce SL4's release to be 'sometime in 2019'.

3) Continue to add features to 360 over the next 18 or so months, that would actually provide more transparency than in the past of what to expect in SL4 release. 

I don't know about anyone else, but I think this would make a lot of the angst and fear around what is going to happen in the future go away. New version updates would also help business owners make better decisions about what to do going forward.

My two-cents...I'd be interested to hear what others think/other ideas on how announcements could be improved (or maybe I should start a different forum?) I think it could still be relevant here though, as the original poster's confusion and community backlash is what really needs to be addressed in releases going forward.

Brian Allen
Matthew Bibby

It would be great if there was an option to save a course in "SL3 compatibility mode"

+1 to this suggestion, and it seems like it would be easy enough to do. I've worked with other software in the past that allowed me to save a project file in a format compatible with older versions of the software.

Allain McCallum

I don't see this happening, some of us have been requesting this option since Storyline went to Storyline 2.

Allain McCallum, Senior User Readiness Analyst
IMITS Primary Care & Community
Vancouver Coastal Health Shared Services BC
W-3.92 1795 Willingdon Avenue
Burnaby BC, V5C 6E3
604-297-8360 ext. 438360
Allain.McCallum@vch.ca

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.