Articulate 360

Nov 09, 2016

I am confused by this new Articulate 360 and what it means for Articulate Storyline. Does this mean that no further development will occur on Articulate Storyline 2, standalone version? Will there ever be an Articulate Storyline 3? What about people who bought a platinum licence with an upgrade option who do not want to go to Articulate 360? Will they get a refund on the upgrade portion or will they be forced to go to 360 if they want to benefit from their upgrade purchase?

While I see that there is benefit, especially for new customers, to 360, I am still not sure that it is worth mine and my company's money to take a perpetual licence and change it to a subscription for what I perceive to only be minor feature enhancements.

I am open to be shown why the expense would be worth my while?

269 Replies
Jake Hurt

The best thing you can do is wait for the next perpetual licence.

If you urgently need the HTML5 support in 360 you can always pay for a year then unsubscribe and continue on in SL3 once it is released perpetually. Articulate have assured us that the initial release of SL3 will be compatible with anything made in 360 at that time. Whether or not you want to take that risk though is up to you.

We are currently having a hell of a time with HTML5 and having to pray that the 2017 release is sooner rather than later.

If you don't need the HTML5 support then SL2 is going to be good enough for years to come ;)

Marcos Dutra

This is such a bad strategy.
It means the customer will always be confused and afraid about which software to use. 
You should only implement changes when they are ready in both platforms, to guarantee compatibility. Or get rid of the standalone product altogether.
Someone must talk to your CEO, this is a big mistake.

Marcos Dutra

It is not a problem that your reply was not clear. It is a problem with a poorly designed, confusing product development strategy. Actually it is all wishful thinking and blind trust in things that may or may not happen.
I can't base the development production of my agency in such frail foundations. 
I'm stuck with 360  for at least a year, but I will be assessing Adobe in the meantime. It's a shame, because I love Articulate's customer service and have been a client for many years.
Your CEO is making a big, big mistake. 

Marcos Dutra

Absolutely right. As a small agency, I think the price is outrageous. 
It is even worse, because there is no monthly option (fundamental for small agencies with no steady influx of projects) and the second year will have no discount for existing customers.
I don't feel secure buying Storyline 2 because it seems S3 is coming and the upgrade will be expensive. Also, I don't trust they will not drop the standalone software eventually, when they see it makes no sense at all to have two selling models. 

Marcos Dutra

Jake, I made a mistake. Because I have SL1 and was experiencing bugs with Windows 10 (SL1 is NOT supported on W10), I  finished a project  with a free 360 trial. Now I'm stuck.
Even if I cancel after one year, how can I trust Articulate will not quit support in SL2 in the same way? Also, Articulate calls a minor upgrade a whole new release. Even 360 is not much different than SL1. 
This subscription model will mean trouble if the client wants a minor change in the future. If they want to update a paragraph, the agency must subscribe again for a whole year! Maybe it would be nice to have a freelancer who would provide this kind of service. 
Unfortunately, I will have to start assessing Adobe this next year. 

Tim Danes

Hi Marcos, 

While I don't necessarily condone the tone, it's probably because I haven't paid out the money for a subscription.  So, I kinda get it.  

And I very much understand and agree with the 'small customers' argument.  For me, 360 takes collaboration off the table for a number of my clients, whom I share files with so they could make small edits. 360 is not even remotely close to being an option for many of my clients, and it would be embarrassing to suggest it to them as a viable option.

And again you're right ... with a split roadmap that may or may not converge, and may or may not split again, it creates a double-path of expenses with projects until Storyline 2 is defunct.   And if 360 is an indicator of Storyline 3 functionality, I suspect Storyline 2 won't be defunct for quite some time (there's nothing really that improves the learning in 360 that I can't do in Storyline 2).  

I will continue to watch the forums, and continue to cross my fingers hoping that common sense prevails with their marketing strategy.  My 3 death knells for the new Storyline 3 are:
- significantly higher price point (i.e. more than 15%)
- no significant learning value added (i.e. not just 'pretty')
- built in forced redundancy

I could handle 1, maybe even 2 of these, but not 3.  And if I was to base it entirely on 360, all three would be hit and I'd be planning my exit strategy from the platform.  However, I've still got twinklings of hope based on Articulates amazing products and approach pre-360, I just hope that the numbers and feedback are getting to the people that matter, not just smashing the Forum Leaders around.

Marcos Dutra

Yes, I hope the CEO reads the forum from time to time.
The support people at Articulate are great, it pains me to see them getting this flak. Obviously, it is not their fault. 
To tell you the truth, I can't remember a situation where I felt so uncomfortable making a purchase decision. As a marketing strategy, the whole move was a nightmare for customers.

Marcos Dutra

In a marketing perspective, it is the ONLY roadmap that makes sense.
- Only upgrade S360 when the standalone product is 100% compatible with the subscription model. 
- provide a "save as" command to let people open projects with older versions.

Or go all the way and drop for good the standalone version. 
You realize that, because Aticulate sells minor upgrades as if they were full releases, a customer who buys the standalone product will actually pay the same price of the subscription to stay up to date with the latest product, right? 

This is the worst designed development roadmap I have ever seen, marketing-wise.

J M
Jake Hurt

It was so easy to avoid as well, all that needed to happen was for SL3 perpetual to come out at the same time.

Then everyone is happy and can choose the best thing for them.

So well put Jake. That would've made everyone happy and been fair to us loyal SL customers. Every day that goes by that SL3 isn't released is another bit of pressure pushing us away to the competition. 

Gerry Wasiluk

Personally, I find I'm liking A360, especially SL360 and Content Library, more and more each day.

That said, might be nice if users could pick and choose what parts of the A360 suite that they wanted and just pay for that. 

Kind of like the concept of ala carte pricing for cable TV.  Why pay for channels (or software) you might never use?

Failing that, it might be nice then if there were three A360 packages offered:

1. The current whole package
  2. A SL360 package (minus just Studio 360)
  3. A Studio 360 package (minus just SL360)

Probably a logistical nightmare to implement but it might make more more customers happier.

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Jennifer,

Rise is included with the Articulate 360 subscription - you get access to all the 360 tools in one subscription such as Storyline, Studio, Content Library, Articulate Review, Articulate Live, Peek, Preso, and Rise! It's a long list, so that can be confusing - this FAQ article has a lot of really great details and information and if you have specific questions you may also want to reach out to our Success team. 

Scott Wyatt

"Stay tuned" isn't really acceptable for businesses weighing up actual options for purchase in the very near future.

Our IT dept. has mandated that everything available through our LMS this year MUST be HTML5. We're not interested in outlaying for 360 when it's a) subscription only and b) only includes 1 product we will use.

The right thing to do business-wise for all of the (seemingly MANY folks) not happy with 360, and chomping at the bit for Storyline 3 would be to allow a "downgrade" option.

Allow me to purchase the 1 year subscription to 360, yet give me the option to refund the price difference when Storyline 3 comes out.

Pros: You get my money now, You don't lose a client to Adobe Captivate, You POTENTIALLY get me using the other parts of the package in the meantime (and I end up sticking with 360 because I can demonstrate / convince the company of the value).

Cons: There's a chance I'll still want the X price difference back upon Storyline 3 being released

Guy Boulet

I purchased a perpetual version of Studio '13 for $1400 almost 4 years ago. It would have costed me $4000 of Articulate 360 for the same period of use. And I can keep using Studio for as long as it meets my needs and pay nothing more. And even if I upgrade when the next version comes out I will save money.

The cost analysis is quite simple, I won't subscribe to 360 because it is not worth the price.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.