Articulate 360

Nov 09, 2016

I am confused by this new Articulate 360 and what it means for Articulate Storyline. Does this mean that no further development will occur on Articulate Storyline 2, standalone version? Will there ever be an Articulate Storyline 3? What about people who bought a platinum licence with an upgrade option who do not want to go to Articulate 360? Will they get a refund on the upgrade portion or will they be forced to go to 360 if they want to benefit from their upgrade purchase?

While I see that there is benefit, especially for new customers, to 360, I am still not sure that it is worth mine and my company's money to take a perpetual licence and change it to a subscription for what I perceive to only be minor feature enhancements.

I am open to be shown why the expense would be worth my while?

269 Replies
Fraser M

So many of us have been pestered by our clients to get a proper mobile player.  Here's a link that shows myself (and others) asking for even a ballpark idea when the responsive player would finally be released.  Even a month ago the response was still, No date yet, we'll keep you posted.  It would've been so easy a month ago to say "it will be released by the end of 2016" so that us developers can plan, but that didn't happen, and we weren't "kept posted".

You can see why "sometime in 2017" is another statement that is hard for us to work with and support.

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Fraser,

That's on me for not going back to update that forum discussion, under the assumption that the larger website announcement and forum announcements would be enough for the Articulate 360 launch. The responsive player is not available for Storyline 2 so I also don't want to add confusion to that discussion by sharing information about a newer product in a discussion that was specific to an older version. 

Kayla Burtch

I have another important question. If we don't want to shift over to the "subscription" model, but need to subscribe *for now* for mobile capability, will 360 be compatible with Storyline 3? Can you commit to that, so we can "switch back" to perpetual later and not lose all our work? Because waiting upwards of a year for mobile capability just really isn't an option for most companies, and I think there might be quite a few people shifting to Captivate which already offers this, which is really unfortunate because I have always LOVED Articulate and been one of your biggest advocates, convincing every employer I've ever had to invest in it.)

Hi Kayla, 

With the next perpetual version of Storyline, you can similar features to what's in Storyline 360 minus, of course, the Articulate 360 cloud services features that are in Storyline 360 (i.e. publish to Articulate Review, integration with Content Library), plus additional new features we're working on. As far as compatability between Storyline 360 and any future perpetual versions, it is something our team is looking at knowing a number of folks may be in the same situation as you described. Justin's answer here is the most comprehensive about what that will look like and how we'll proceed. 

Hi Donna, 

If you choose to not continue your Storyline 360 subscription, the files won't be backwards compatible to Storyline 2, but Storyline 3 is slated for release this year. When Storyline 3 is released it'll be compatible with the current release of Storyline 360, so you'd be able to transfer your files into a new license of Storyline 3, but as Storyline 360 continues to have new features and elements added, those features may not work in Storyline 3. 

Linda, 

If you're having issues with the content in your LMS we're happy to take a look at those and provide some support around that, as it's not what we'd expect or hope to hear! Do you want to share information with our Support Engineers here? They'll be looking to have a copy of your .story file, information on the publish settings you use, which LMS you're using, and what behavior you're seeing vs. what you'd expect to see. 

Mary Grove

Dear Articulate Team -

Our very small company went ahead and bit the bullet to move to SL360 this year based on your 'loyalty' discount, but certainly not because the features and functions of this newest version were that compelling. And while I like Review, we will likely never use any of the other products you included as part of the value proposition and pricing comparison.  Like many of your other customers, we are singularly focused on creating great e-learning that we publish on our own websites and systems.

So, why then did we upgrade? As it turns out, because we have invested in current technology (Windows 10 and high-res monitors), the SL2 file creation and editing process  was rendered almost impossible many months ago (search for the word 'tiny' in your Community Forums). As no one would provide any insight on when in 2017 this "tiny issue" MIGHT be resolved, we moved to SL360 from SL2 so we could meet some aggressive needs for new e-learning assets in early 2017. Unfortunately, the transition hasn't been without issues (see post on SL360 and suppressing Play button in iOS).

I shared much of this feedback in the recent customer survey I just completed.  When your internal team reviews the survey results, please keep in mind that the survey results may be misrepresenting your customer's input. Your survey forced to me to pick the 3 top products for our buying decision.  I couldn't pick 0 or even just 1. Instead, you may wish to evaluate how many of your users had lengthy text responses for the 'most negative' experience with SL 360 relative to 'most positive' response? 

Finally, I also want to share that one of the key reasons we've been excited supporters of Articulate and SL is your amazing community of users, Heroes, and staff. I am concerned based on the overwhelming negative feedback on subscription pricing for this and planned future releases that Articulate management doesn't value these collective assets in a meaningful way.  As I am involved in software product management, I'm certain you are planning to continue with your plan of positive messaging regarding SL360 . We respectfully request that you revisit your pricing models and/or provide increased visibility into your product release plans. In the interim,  it can't be fun for your Support, Sales, or Heroes staff to be under pressure to try to respond to the sheer number of posts - without making any actual commitments on future releases or pricing.  

Mary Grove

Justin Grenier

Thanks for the thoughtful post, Mary.

We’re glad you love the E-Learning Heroes community, and we’ve invested in its creation and maintenance for the very reasons you’ve mentioned--while it certainly adds value for our customers, we also get the advantage of an unfiltered lens into what features/benefits customers appreciate the most, and what causes them the most pain.

We understand the challenges of pleasing everyone, but I can absolutely promise you that the right people are listening.  ...and for visibility into our 360 roadmap, make sure you bookmark our What’s New, What’s Next page.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts.

Justin Grenier

Good Morning, Christian and Jake.

On the day that Storyline 3 is released this year (we don't yet have a firmer estimate than 2017), its features will match those of Storyline 360, with the exception of the subscription elements like Content Library and Articulate Review.  So, following along on those Available Now items that you see on our What's New, What's Next page is a great move.

It's also worthwhile to keep in mind that after the day Storyline 3 is released, as Storyline 360 adds additional features and diverges from Storyline 3's initial feature set, 360 content containing those new features may not open in Storyline 3.

We'll share more info on Storyline 3 as soon as we can.

Jake Hurt

"as Storyline 360 adds additional features and diverges from Storyline 3's initial feature set, 360 content containing those new features may not open in Storyline 3."

We were assured that people buying perpetual licences would be supported as much as people on 360, the above statement seems to contradict this.

So you are saying that the initial version of Storyline 3 will be the final version and won't have any updated content added to it, correct?

Does this mean you will not be supporting the perpetual licence holders at this point?

You are also stating that if you were to use 360 to make a course, there is no guarantee that it would work in Storyline 3, correct? Which implys that once you subscribe to 360 you are locked in to the subscription else you lose access to your content, correct?

Please respond sometime in 2017.

Gemma Greenwood

Hi there,

So sorry if this has been asked a million times - we are looking at upgrading to 360. From what I understand, if we purchase Articulate 360 - it will upgrade our Storyline from 2 to 360. Once this is done, and SL3 comes out - will we be able to work with projects that are built in SL3? 

Any new features that come out with SL3 - will they be added to SL360? Or would we have to buy SL3 to get those features?

Thanks and have a great weekend everyone!

Gemma

Hi Gemma,

No apologies necessary - this forum discussion has gotten quite lengthy! 

When you open a Storyline 2 project with Storyline 360 (part of the Articulate 360 suite of tools) you'll see that it'll upgrade and create a back up copy of your Storyline 2 project. You can have Storyline 2 and Storyline 360 installed on the same computer so the backup copy allows you to use Storyline 2 for those projects if you choose to not continue with Articulate 360.

The day Storyline 3 comes out, anything you've created in Storyline 360 will be able to be opened in Storyline 3. Since 360 is continually evolving and having new features add to it, the path may diverge from Storyline 3 and then those projects may not open in Storyline 3. Any new features added to Storyline 360 may be something you see in later updates to Storyline 3, but it's not a guarantee that every feature will be the same across platforms. Due to the subscription set up of Storyline 360, you'll see that updates and new features are on a more frequent basis than our perpetual license products like Storyline 2 (and Storyline 3 when it's released). 

I hope that helps, and feel free to let us know if there is anything else we can help with! 

Marcos Dutra

That's a horrible and confusing roadmap for customers. 
It lacks flexibility to open our projects and change to  the super expensive subscription model. We will have different projects that can only be opened with a specific piece of software. Ouch!
Also, if we need to open one project in Articulate 360, we have to pay for a whole year!!!
If you are a small agency, you are screwed.

Marcos Dutra

Yes!
Storyline 1 is NOT supported on Windows 10. Since all computers basically upgraded themselves to W10, it means you have to buy a new computer solely for Storyline 1.
It is money thrown in the garbage.
This dual strategy is horrible and confusing. 
I'm already stuck with 360, because I was foolish enough to upgrade an important project to 360 in the free trial. 
Nt only is the subscription expensive, it has no monthly option and the price will rise in the second year for existing customers!
Articulate basically screwed all their small customers. 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.