Published course in Storyline 360 will not play in IE 11

Mar 23, 2017

I created a software simulation with storyline 360 and it freezes or will not play in IE11. It sometimes has problems in Firefox as well. Is this because of the size of the course? The quality of the course (resolution)? Users haven't had a problem in chrome that I am aware of.

Thanks,

Darrin

154 Replies
Knut Jackowski

Hi Carrie,

using Storyline 3, we also have problems with IE11 with courses that work fine with Firefox and Chrome.

For us it is possible to advise our users to use Firefox, but that is not an option every company has, so I hope that Articulate will fix this (even if it is kind of weird to have to support a browser that is not even supported anymore by its own company).

Tracy Parish

Just signing in and subscribing to this thread.  Glad to see i'm not the only one with this issue.  I thought suddenly I had clicked, selected, and published differently than I have been doing for years now.  

Reading through this full thread I'm in the exact same situation.  Tested publishing all 4 ways and none work in our LMS on our IE 11 browser.  Turning off compatibility works, but I can't tell users to do that for this course, and not that course.  Especially when then need the browser for other systems at work.

If we revert to an older version of SL360 can I still edit a newly created course or will I have to start from scratch and create it again?

Patrick Thompson

So I contacted Articulate support and they were somehow able to view the course in IE11 but I am still unable to view it in IE11 when launching from LMS.  Same with everyone else in our org.  I am following up and sending them a link to this forum so they can see it is not just me having this issue.

Tracy Parish

Here's a little tutorial that I hope helps others out.  I've been able to get mine to publish to IE11 within my LMS by adding a little code to 3 files (that tells IE to ignore the compatibility issue), and then forcing a launch window to open and play the course (this then ignores any coding the LMS player window has).  

This is the code to add:

<meta http-equiv="x-ua-compatible" content="IE=edge" /> 

Add it to the index_lms.html file and to the index_lms_flash.html  (and if you need to create a launch window for your course to the launch.html file).  [ I also include a bit at the end of the video how you can customize the launch button if you need to....I have had to for my learners.]

Make sure you add the code after <head> and before any other code with <meta.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXeXEgPHlns 

Ashley Schwartau

We've been applying this code and testing in SCORM Cloud and are able to view the courses in IE11. But clients are still reporting that things are NOT loading in IE11 for them. Any ideas why? 

(Does the code disable compatibility mode? We can't ask that hundreds of clients to disable that for tens of thousands of users. And we have clients trying to launch learning initiatives early next week and IE11 is NOT working.)

Tyler Balding

I have been applying the code with SCORM Cloud success in IE 11 as well. However, I forgot to apply the code to some courses yesterday, and they still functioned in SCORM Cloud IE 11. How is this possible if the code is necessary for IE 11 function?

Does SCORM Cloud behave differently than a regular LMS in IE 11?

Regardless, the course with code is not working for our clients. 

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Tyler, you beat me too it! 

Another update for Articulate 360 is now available.  It includes a few important fixes and new features that you'll see in the release notes here.  

The item you may be interested in is  a fix for how the Flash output wouldn't play in Internet Explorer with Compatibility View enabled.

Launch the Articulate 360 desktop app on your computer and click the Update button for each application. Details here.

Please let us know if you have any questions, either here or by reaching out to our Support Engineers directly.

Tyler Balding

Sorry for sounding dense, Ashley, but I was not entirely aware of what was causing the issue. The client couldn't view the course in their LMS in IE 11, but it did function for me in SCORM Cloud IE 11.

Was it an issue with the Flash that was causing the course not to play in the LMS, and is now resolved through this update? We have been publishing HTML5 with Flash backup.

Patrick Thompson

Hi Tyler,

That was the exact issue we've been having.  Worked in SCORM Cloud but not in our LMS.  I just did a few tests and this update doesn't seem to have fixed that issue.  That's a big bummer and starting to think it could be the LMS.  We use Cornerstone.  I actually reached out to them last week but haven't heard back.  I also reached out to the Articulate engineers but they can't really figure out the issue because they test in SCORM Cloud, which as I mentioned worked for us as well.