Published course in Storyline 360 will not play in IE 11

Mar 23, 2017

I created a software simulation with storyline 360 and it freezes or will not play in IE11. It sometimes has problems in Firefox as well. Is this because of the size of the course? The quality of the course (resolution)? Users haven't had a problem in chrome that I am aware of.

Thanks,

Darrin

154 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hi M, sorry about that! Here's the release notes for Storyline 3. In the September 11 update, we fixed the issue where Flash output wouldn't play in Internet Explorer with Compatibility View enabled.

If you're still seeing the problem after publishing with the latest update, reach out to our team here. We'll help get you sorted out! 

Gillian Lugg

Hi all,

We are also having the same issue with IE11. Our courses are published out to HTML5 only. When viewed on the LMS they are coming out really patchy. We too have compatibility mode switched on at an organisational wide level. Our default browser is IE11.

I have the course published in Studio 360. I have tried republishing the course as HTML5/Flashback fall-back and the same issue is occurring. Our courses look terrible on the LMS until the screens load up. We are not even using animations or anything fancy as we thought that may be causing the issue.

What is the best option or us? We have a large number of courses under review and I am not sure how to publish them out in 360.

Our vendor is kindly checking to see that there are no issues from their end. But it seems to be pointing to an IE issue overall.

Cheers

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Gillian, sorry you're running into this! I'd first like to check that you're on the most recent update of Presenter 360. 

Click the Articulate tab, then click Help and Support, and select About Articulate Presenter. You should see 8.9.13567.0 in the bottom-right corner. 

Let me know if you're already on the most recent update, and we'll go from there!

Gillian Lugg

Hi Alyssa,

Thanks for getting back. I can confirm we are on the latest version of Articulate. Something I didn't think to mention was:  the courses we have converted were originally built in Studio 09, then upgraded to Studio 13 and now upgraded to 360. Would that have anything to do with it?

We are building only on the C drive and packaging our courses up on completion for version control.

I did another test later in the day yesterday and published the course as flashback/HTML5 and they appear to be fine on the LMS in both Google Chrome and IE11. My concern is, when IE stop supporting flash our courses will default to using HTML and maybe start looking terrible again?

Cheers

Jill

Lynn Puhr

Could it be that the published format says "HTML5 First / Flash Fallback" in the settings. I know that IE does not handle HTML5 well. I'm having similar issues and just thought, maybe that is it... Thoughts?

[Description: LynnSmall]

Lynn M. Puhr
Senior Global Q&R Instructional Designer
GE Healthcare
T 1 262 548-2322
Lynn.Puhr@ge.com
3000 N. Grandview Blvd W-440
Waukesha, WI 53188 United States
http://sc.ge.com/*LynnPuhr
TELECONFERENCE: 0266779 (International Numbers<http://libraries.ge.com/download?fileid=363391810101&entity

Crystal Horn

Hey Jill, and Lynn.

Jill- Would it be possible to see one of your 360 Articulate packages for testing?  You could include it here in your reply.  I would not expect upgrading the course into a new format to cause performance issues in IE specifically, but I would do some testing to confirm.

Lynn- Besides the compatibility issue we worked through, the HTML5 performance of our courses on IE has been great.  We've done a lot of work to our HTML5 output with the release of Articulate 360, and making sure your work looks good on IE has been super important.  Do you also have a file that you can share?  What kind of issues are you seeing?

Note:  you can edit out your contact information from you post if you'd like!  Replying via email will include your signature.

Thanks for working with us here!

Gillian Lugg

Thanks for getting back Crystal. Happy to upload the course for you to look at. Could I do this privately? Happy for you to post results of the test here so others can hear the outcome.

Lynn, we have had to go back to publishing Flashback/HTML . We have found this to work perfectly in IE11 and Google Chrome.

Gillian Lugg

Hi all,

Sorry for the delay in reply. For some strange reason our courses that are published in HTML5 ONLY are now working in the IE11 with compatibility mode switched on. As a fail safe we have started publishing our courses out as HTML5/Flashback and that too appears to be working.

I really cant understand what happened.

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Thanks Gillian for that update - and I'm glad to hear things are working again. If you need us to still take a look feel free to upload using the form here. 

David, we're also happy to take a look at your course and how it's behaving. I'd want to double check the following:

• Are you using the latest version of Storyline 360? 
  • How have you published (html first, only, etc.)? 
  • What versions of IE are you running it in? 
  • Are you using the Web published version or LMS?
  • Have you tested it outside your Web server or LMS? SCORM Cloud is always a good option for LMS content. 

If you're still running into playback issues after taking a look at that information, let us know and we'll be happy to take a look at your course! 

Beth Haselhorst

Hello. We're currently having audio cutout issues in a course published with Storyline 360 and viewed in IE11. Most notably is when the course starts, the audio doesn't kick in for a few seconds and therefore cuts off when the slide automatically advances.

I am publishing to the Web as HTML5 with Flash fallback. I just purchased Storyline 360 this month so I have the latest version. Should I be experiencing this, or is there a fix or any suggestions for dealing with? Thank you!