Closed Captions in Rise

Apr 25, 2017

Hi

Is it possible to import closed captions in Rise, or would you need to create the video with closed captions prior to importing into a module?

Thanks

cherry

90 Replies
Lush Training  Content Team

Hi all, 

I am new to the e-learning realm and curious about accessibility for the Rise courses we are building. We are using Docebo; the videos we use in our Instructional Design are primarily downloaded from our company Vimeo account, or our company youtube account. How can I go about ensuring that closed captioning is available for the videos I embed into Rise? Anyone with the insights into Rise and/or Docebo on how to do this? Thanks!

Crystal Horn

Hello, Lush! Welcome to E-Learning Heroes.

lf you are embedding your own content from Vimeo or YouTube that contains closed captioning, your learners will be able to use the CC icon on the video player. Use the iframe embed code to add those videos to Rise 360 courses.

Let me know if you need more help!

Paul MacIntyre

Just to follow up on this too, this thread is over 2 years old now. The stock reply from the Staff that comment on here that there are "no updates yet", or that we are "on the mailing list for updates" are becoming tired and wearing thin. This is basic Accessibility functionality that has been requested for over 2 years by the community, and we haven't even had a confirmation that it is being consdered for development yet. 

I know Articulate don't publicise upcoming updates, which is an understandable way to manage expectations, but can someone please advise us if this is even on a product backlog, or should anyone who has Accessibility requirements just forget that Rise exists and look for an alternate solution  instead?

David Kettle

I think it's ony fair to point out that Rise has had accessibility features added.

Granted it's not CC and I would also find it useful to know what features are being worked on, but it would be unfair to conclude there has been no progress around accessibility.

Having said that, I for one would prefer for a push to get accessibility sorted over development of other new features for Rise. New features are great, but basic functionality which is essential for some people would be more important in my view.

Hart Learning Group

I agree with David. Accessible content should be a given.

[cid:90631916-353f-449f-b6b1-703d0077f381]Phillip Ruffell
Elearning Coordinator
Hart Learning Group
Landline: 01462443068
Email: pruffell@nhc.ac.uk
www.nhc.ac.uk

[cid:7f8eef78-41c3-45de-9b86-ef46c2b7b3a6]

HLG Disclaimer: The information in this email is confidential. It is intended solely for the addressee and access to this email by anyone else is unauthorised. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of the Hart Learning Group. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you received this email in error, please notify the sender at the Hart Learning Group on +44 (0)1462 424242. By responding to this email, you consent to your personal data contained within or associated with such a response being processed by the Hart Learning Group. Processing may also be carried out because it is necessary to comply with a legal obligation; and/or for the performance of a contract; and/or for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest.

The Hart Learning Group is the trading name for North Hertfordshire College Further Education Corporation, a Statutory Corporation and Exempt Charity regulated by the Secretary of State for Education operating in England, whose principal office is at Monkswood Way, Stevenage, SG1 1LA.

Kristina Colleen

Great comment Paul. I absolutely agree with you especially since this is such a basic function. I was surprised the video player was released without caption functionality in the first place, and find it hard to understand why we are still waiting for this. This function should be a top priority for the next feature release.

David Kettle

Alyssa's reply in the Accessibility thread (https://community.articulate.com/discussions/rise-360/accessibility-in-rise?page=13) states

"... our end goal is to get Rise 360 output WCAG 2.1 compliant by the end of 2020."

Carrie asked

"WCAG 2.1 AA?"

Crystal confirmed

"Level AA is the goal!"

WCAG 2.1 AA includes audio description for pre-recorded video (https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG21/#time-based-media), so hopefully if this timescale is achievable, this would mean it would be in place by the end of 2020.

Patty Raymond

I think Captioning for audio is required even to meet level A. Is there a goal to meet A requirements first, or is the entanglement of the work such that it'll be more 'AA' or 'as is' ? Any tighter timetable specific to the captioning would be incredibly helpful for planning 2020 work.

Patty Raymond
Technical Curriculum Developer, Training & Certification
e: patray@amazon.com
Free serverless training:
Internal link to Architecting Serverless Solutions
External link

[cid:image001.png@01D32C71.1BB35320]

[/Users/thkll/Library/Containers/com.microsoft.Outlook/Data/Library/Caches/Signatures/signature

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.