Downloading Xliff files in Rise - different output

Nov 01, 2018

Hello everyone, I am facing some issues exporting the XLIFF files from our courses in Articulate Rise. 

I previously downloaded the same courses in the XLIFF format, however now I get xlf files with the internalised html and the file original code missing. The segmentation in the new downloaded file is also very different and poor.

As we already prepared these courses for translation and they are currently with the linguists, it would be quite problematic if we need to reprepare everything from scratch.

Is there a way to download the same format as before? What is this issue due to?

Thanks!

Valeria

76 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Valeria, 

The recent fixes released to Rise for XLIFF files did change the file extension to end in XLF, but those two file types should be interchangeable (similar to a JPG and JPEG). 

If you've run into trouble with the translation files after the latest update, I'd like to get copies into the hands of my Support Team to test.

Can you share the following with me here or click here to start a case:

1. The .xlf you've exported.
2. The .xlf you are trying to import.
3. Information on the tool (if any) you are using for translation.

Thanks in advance for sharing those, and we'll get you back up and running as soon as possible! 

Grupo Asís

Hello Ashley and Valeria,

We are also experiencing problems with the new format that Rises exports. There are several changes in the xml (for example, the html tags are replaced by <g> placeholders) that are not compatible with the programs we use to translate. The new format does not seem to works in the free editor that you recommended in the previous version of Rise (http://xliff.brightec.co.uk/).
Please, can you keep the previous version? It is very important for us, we think that it is a mistake to implement such big changes without warning, we have a project stopped due to this.

Thanks in advance!

Regards, 

Diego from G.A.

Eckart Fischer

Hello everybody,

we have a similar problem. Since last week our translation office can not Import our XLF files any more. The issue is that the XML code structure has changed. Until last week it contained lines of the source language + the same content again for the target langue. The two were of course identical as the target language needed to be translated.

Here an example:

<source>CN Sales Tools and Platforms </source>
<target>CN Sales Tools and Platforms </target>

That's how the structure of the XLIFF files looked like until last week.

The new XLF file doesn't contain any lines for the target language anymore.

We also had to stop current translation projects with our translation office (they use Trados) like Diego mentions above. It might work with new projects (we haven't tested yet), but we can not continue  with ongoing projects for which our translation office has already received a XLIFF file and is now getting xlf-files (with updated content and a new XML structure).

Please let us know a possible bi-pass. It's pretty urgent.

Thanks & regards,

Eckart / Germany

LS Tech
Eckart Fischer

Hello everybody,

we have a similar problem. Since last week our translation office can not Import our XLF files any more. The issue is that the XML code structure has changed. Until last week it contained lines of the source language + the same content again for the target langue. The two were of course identical as the target language needed to be translated.

Here an example:

<source>CN Sales Tools and Platforms </source>
<target>CN Sales Tools and Platforms </target>

That's how the structure of the XLIFF files looked like until last week.

The new XLF file doesn't contain any lines for the target language anymore.

We also had to stop current translation projects with our translation office (they use Trados) like Diego mentions above. It might work with new projects (we haven't tested yet), but we can not continue  with ongoing projects for which our translation office has already received a XLIFF file and is now getting xlf-files (with updated content and a new XML structure).

Please let us know a possible bi-pass. It's pretty urgent.

Thanks & regards,

Eckart / Germany

Hi Eckart,

Just to let you know, we tried with new files/projects and the import does not work either, as per my previous screenshot.

Kind regards

Eckart Fischer

Hello again,

I just had our translation office on the phone. They work with Trados, version 17. They confirmed that they can import the new xlf-format. The only problem they are still facing is to match an already translated XLIFF file with updated content that we provided with the new XLF format. Due to the new XML structure their translation memory system doesn't recognise already translated content as a 100%-hit. Trados thinks that it's new content or marks known phrases as only 50%-hits.

In short: in our case the new XLF format will work for future Rise translation projects. For current projects we have to pay the translation twice.

Eckart / Germany

LS Tech
Eckart Fischer

Hello again,

I just had our translation office on the phone. They work with Trados, version 17. They confirmed that they can import the new xlf-format. The only problem they are still facing is to match an already translated XLIFF file with updated content that we provided with the new XLF format. Due to the new XML structure their translation memory system doesn't recognise already translated content as a 100%-hit. Trados thinks that it's new content or marks known phrases as only 50%-hits.

In short: in our case the new XLF format will work for future Rise translation projects. For current projects we have to pay the translation twice.

Eckart / Germany

Hi Eckart,

The new XLF files can be translated in Studio 2017 but they cannot be imported back into Rise after translation. Did you try that?

Kind regards

craig Sumner

Ok, so this is not helpful, there seem to be sections of text missing Paragraph blocks in general, when I view it at http://xliff.brightec.co.uk/, 

This was working before when this output was the xliff.

I have been working on a project for six months and in December I am due to begin translations into 5 other languages, so this is a big problem for me.

Eckart Fischer

Hi,

do you mean that it WILL work with Studio 2017 (to reimport the translated files in Rise) or that it will NOT work? I will receive an XLF-file by the end of this week that has been translated with Trados 17. Then we will see...

Yesterday I exported a new XLF file and tried to reimport it directly afterwards (without touching it...). It didn't work either. Could you try that, too? Seems that Rise has a problem to reimport it's own XLF files. If that is true than we can dump the second translation, too...

Rise-team: please help!

Regards,

Eckart

LS Tech

Hi Eckart,

I mean that it works in Studio 2017 with the default filter, so you will be able to work with the new XLF files in Trados. We tried again exporting the new XLF from a sample Rise presentation, then we pseudotranslated it and then we tried to import it back to the Rise presentation and, working as such (without changing a thing) it seems to work. However, the segmentation of the new XLF is worse when translating with Trados, so maybe you will need to customise the xlf filter in Studio if you want to leverage the previous TMs.

It has definitely been a bad idea to change the XLIFF format to XLF, changing the whole structure of the files, especially since Articulate didn't let us know in advance! We demand an answer and a solution for this since we haven't heard from Articulate anymore!

Regards

craig Sumner

Ok my quick workaround is using the following site http://www.beyondf.com/tranzapp/translate/

but I have to change my rise translation output .Ext from .XLF to.XLIFF by renaming it on my computer, then when I have made my text changes/translations, I export from the site and change the ext back to XLF, this seems to be working, but its a bit of a hack.

Eckart Fischer

Hello Lärbyrån,

concerning your question what I meant with "It took me another 3-4 imports until I realized that I had to ignore the error message".

The issue was that I changed the file extension to .xlf before importing the translated file back into Rise. The problem was that Rise displayed an error message that it couldn't read the import file. I tried it various times, but the message came back again and again.

The funny thing was that finally I checked the content of the Rise course and I realized that the translation was there! 

My message is therefore:
Even though Rise might display an error message when trying to import a translation file, check the content of your Rise course. I my case Rise imported the translation in the background while displaying an error message that it couldn't read the import file.

It's like the fuel gauge of your car says that the tank is empty - but it's full.

Adriaan Van Nieuwkerk

Hi Ashley,

There are still problems with the XLF files. Our translation agency is not able to upload them and we have been doing this for some time successfully until last Thursday the 22nd of November. Is this being looked into? It is impeding our translations and timelines. I will start a case, as well but would like to know if this is being looked into.

Kind regards,

Adriaan Van Nieuwkerk

Ivor Thynne

Hi Ashley,

I am having the same issues as Adriaan, our files are just not uploading I am not even able to import the original file back into the course!

I have two other courses that were originally built before or on the 1st Nov which I am able to import the original text files back in (however text edited using notepad ++ does not seem to copy over).

I am talking to your colleague Chris regarding this, he has taken and shared a peak video of it working and updating correctly but as I am not the only one with issues, I really do not believe it is just me doing something wrong.

Please can someone look into this overall and help us all out.

I have already spent out £2k to update my Translation memories without the new courses just about to be started and it looks like it still will not work!

HELP!