Embedding Vimeo video

Nov 14, 2016

When I use the embed code that I use for other platforms, Rise seems to ignore the settings of my code. for example, on my video, I remove logos and titles so the fact that Vimeo is the host melts seamlessly into the background. With Rise it not only creates a vimeo frame but ignores all the embed options that work in wordpress for example. Is this normal?

54 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Nigel,

Where is the video hosted and the embed code being generated? 

Do you know what the original height/width of the video is? Can you see if the embed code has included height and width attributes? Would love to see a sample of this Rise course or a link to the video as well so that we could play around with it. 

N R

Hi Ashley, 

Sorry I cannot share the Rise file or video.  The video is hosted on Vimeo however it works the same with Youtube videos.  As you can see in the screenshot attached the inserted video display beautifully but embedded video does not look great. Here are some embed codes you can play around with: 

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bVxTfsA6OvM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bVxTfsA6OvM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Many thanks 

Nigel 

Eric Praline

Hi there, I'm still having the same issue with Storyline 3. Trying to embed a Vimeo video and the full screen option disappeared. I've published to HTMl5 only and HTML5 with Flash fallback, unfortunately this is till an issue.  Any chances someone will get this sorted for S3 anytime soon? It's been in S2 for years and I was honestly expecting this to be sorted out in S3....  

Hi Eric,

Vimeo changed how the embed code worked when include in an iFrame, and as a part of that the full screen no longer worked. It was documented here for Storyline 2, and a programmatic fix was included that carried over to Storyline 3.

I did a quick test inserting a Vimeo video using the option to Insert -> From Website and uploaded it to a web server here.  I published for HTML5 first, and Flash fallback - both included the full screen button in the bottom right corner.

Do you have a Vimeo video that isn't working for you? I'd be happy to test it out! 

Faye Suggs

Hi-Are there any particular settings that you use when sharing the video from Vimeo? For example, I want the video to only be viewable to a specific audience. Would I change the settings to Anywhere? My concern is that it will be accessible to others. 

The video will be embedded on a slide in Storyline 360. The course will be accessed by the specific audience in my organization. 

Lewis Ward

Hi Faye, I do something similar with my videos.

What i do is edit the privacy settings, Who can watch this video? - I amend this to Hide this video from Vimeo.com.

Then for the embed settings like you said, change to Anywhere.

Embed the video into your course and share the course with the specific audience.

The video is no longer searchable in Vimeo because we have hidden it and the only people who can see it are the people you have either shared the embed code with or the people who view your 360 course. 

Hope this helps

Hi Kristian,

Are you running into any errors with embed codes and Rise? 

We've seen the error that "A video cannot be inserted from this embed code. Verify that the embed code is correct and then try again" and if you're seeing similar I'd start with the steps here. 

Also, keep these tips in mind for any errors or odd behavior with your embed code. 

Let me know if you need something else! 

Hi Greg,

No apologies necessary - it looks like this is something our team has recently spotted as a bug too. In this instance, it's only items published to Review with Vimeo videos embedded that no longer go full screen. The full-screen component should work when you publish to Web or LMS and host in those environments. I'll keep you posted on this bug, but in the meantime, you may want to include a note for your reviewers that the full-screen element will work outside of Review. 

Greg Nelson

Hi Ashley,

thanks for the response and acknowledgement that something unusual is happening with the Vimeo embed. We have tried this in our LMS with the same result (attached screen grab). Is there any extra parameters we need to include in the embed code to make the Fullscreen icon visibe?  btw, the Full screen mode works fine in Rise. Can the Rise fix be applied to Storyline 360? - just a thought. Any timeline on the fix for Storyline 360? 

LMS-Vimeo-no Full screen

Crystal Horn

Hi everyone!  Just an update that we fixed an issue in Articulate Review where the fullscreen option wasn't being included for embedded videos in Storyline and Rise courses hosted in Review.

You don't have to do a thing, though!  The fix will apply to all of your Review content immediately.  Let us know how it works.  😀

Allison LaMotte

Hi Todd,

From what Greg said above, it sounds like this option is working in SCORM Cloud, which means the issue is likely coming from your LMS and not Rise.

To be sure, you could try testing it yourself in SCORM Cloud. Here's an article that walks you through how to do that.

If you can confirm that it works correctly on SCORM Cloud, then the problem is coming from the LMS and you'll need to talk to your provider.

If you see the same issue on SCORM Cloud, then the problem is likely coming from the course itself. If that's the case, please reach out to our support team.

In the meantime, if there's anything else I can do to help, please let me know!