NEW IN RISE 360: Closed Captioning

Feb 04, 2020

We’ve just released a powerful new feature in Rise 360: closed captioning. Now you can upload closed caption files to videos to make your content more accessible. 

It’s easy to add closed captions to your Rise 360 courses. Just click Edit and select Manage captions in any block that showcases a video. Select the language, and then add your file. You can add as many languages as you like.

We hope you love this helpful new feature!

150 Replies
Rukhsana Khan

I'm completely baffled as to why Storyline 360 doesn't talk to Rise 360. Got all the closed captions worked in Storyline 360 perfect- exported as MP4, great, uploaded into Rise 360, No closed captions toggle available?? so I go ahead and add closed caption file VVT into Rise 360 and they start as the video starts,,,,, I have a brand logo which opens up the video for 9 seconds but Rise decides to start the CC as soon as the video starts. Is there any way I can avoid this and make the cc work properly without manually adding cc on each screen? thanks

Renz Sevilla

Hi Rukhsana! Thanks for reaching out and troubleshooting this on your end. I'm sorry the closed captions aren't syncing properly in your course.

Could you please share the .vvt file, and the Storyline 360 course file by uploading a case here privately?

Our team will test out your file to see what the issue may be.

Sydney Kalnay

I would like to know if CC is coming for embedded videos, too. We are hosting videos on our own company servers and have closed captioning, but it doesn't appear in the embeds, like because our VTT files are sidecars. Even functionality to upload VTT alongside embedded videos would be a helpful first step

Renz Sevilla

Hi Sydney! Thanks for reaching out! There isn't a plan at this time for uploading additional caption files for embedded videos. That being said, I'd like our support engineers to take a look at your specific use case. 

Could you please share the .vvt files, and the Rise 360-course file by uploading a case here privately?

Liesa Rock

Hi,

I have two videos within my Rise module and one works perfectly with the closed captions and the other CCs start a few seconds in.  I do not understand why when both have exactly the same settings.

Lost: 'This process has nine distinct roles which clearly outline...'

CCs start at '...accountability...'

Any ideas why?

Liesa Rock

Hi,

Thank you for coming back to me.

I found another thread that said to remove the 1, 2, 3 prefix before each section. We tried this and it worked.

I'll keep your advice on file in case there is more than one option for fixing any potential repeat issues.

Discover how to manage your learning plan and find answers to the most frequently asked learning questions at R&D Learning support<https://kgcampus.sapjam.com/groups/fJy70Y8Ub1TQVQAvLEjWV7/overview

Phil Mayor

WCAG doesn't ask for audio files to be captioned only that an alternative non-timed element is available and that the provision of a transcript may help.

In storyline it make sense to caption the audio as there is normally animation on screen at the same time. Most people read faster than they speak so the provision of a transcript should suffice.

Greg Davis

I am struggling creating a .VTT file. I believe the youtube instructions are outdated. I have uploaded video to youtube and added and checked my captions. All is working fine. When I export the captions, it only exoports as an .SBV. There is no option for .VTT.

Can anyone please help me to create a .VTT file?

David Kettle

There are two options, you might be able to download .vtt captions from YouTube, the other option is to convert the .sbv file to .vtt

Download a .vtt from YouTube

1. Go into the YouTube Studio for your account where the videos are listed,
  2. click the video you want the subtitles for to go to the editing window for it,
  3. click the 'Subtitles' tab in the drawer on the left,
  4. The available subtitles should be listed, for the subtitles you wish to export, select the 3 vertical dots 'menu' icon on the far right of the row (note: the icon only visible when you hover the mouse over the row or tab to the icon).
  5. Select the 'Download' option.
  6. Choose .vtt from the 3 formats available to download the captions (.vtt, .srt, .sbv).

Convert an alternative format file to .vtt

https://editingtools.io/subtitles/ has the most comprehensive converstions in terms of variety of subtitle file types you can convert from and to that I've found. It includes the ability to convert .sbv files to .vtt files.

1. Go to https://editingtools.io/subtitles/,
  2. set the 'From' file type to the file format you are going to upload e.g. .sbv,
  3. set the 'Convert to' file type to .vtt,
  4. set the framerate to your video's framerate,
    1. Optional - adjust/fix other aspects of your subtitles using the advanced options - usually not required unless you know there is an issue needing fixed.
  5. upload your file,
  6. click 'generate'
  7. click 'download'
Christopher Santos

Hi Sandra,

Closed caption files are generated using third-party closed captioning services.  If you don't have one yet, you can try out YouTube, which offers a free closed captioning service.

You can follow these steps for generating a closed caption file using YouTube:

1. Upload your MP4 video to YouTube Studio.  You can also check out this article (Rise 360: Preparing Your Caption Files) for additional details.

2. Add your captions - either manually or automatically.

3. Download the VTT file.  In the previous post, David's instructions should help ensure you download the closed caption with the correct file extension.

You can then add the VTT file to the video in your Rise course.

wbt external

Hi Alyssa,
I was wondering, if there has been a change to the shared information above 2 years ago:
"There isn't a way to turn the captions on by default." ? (I could not find any other info than in this thread..) 
I am asking because I often have the request to have cc turned on automatically.

Thank you for an update and best regards
Katharina

Luca Bedini

The same for us.
It's important to have the possibility to activate the Caption with a specific language when the video start.
Users can still have the opportunity to turn Caption off or change language.
With the current settings, you realize that you have not Capion activated after the voice start and so you need to activate cc and go back to the start of the video.

This can be a very useful option.

Thanks

Luca