NEW IN RISE 360: Closed Captioning

Feb 04, 2020

We’ve just released a powerful new feature in Rise 360: closed captioning. Now you can upload closed caption files to videos to make your content more accessible. 

It’s easy to add closed captions to your Rise 360 courses. Just click Edit and select Manage captions in any block that showcases a video. Select the language, and then add your file. You can add as many languages as you like.

We hope you love this helpful new feature!

150 Replies
Raising Voices

Upon further investigation, it looks like I should be able to import the CC that Storyline has already generated for the text-to-speech audio track and use it for CC for the recorded audio. I discovered the .vtt files in the Media Library. Now all I need to do is figure out where these files are stored so I can point to them and add them as described here:

https://community.articulate.com/articles/articulate-storyline-360-user-guide-how-to-add-closed-captions

I can right click the text-to-speech audio and click Accessibility to identify the Closed Caption .vtt file. I can then right click the new audio clip I've recorded, click Accessibility, and click Import Captions to select the file. The trouble is I don't know where the .vtt files are stored so I can point to it. 

Then I assume I simply enable the CC button in the player and I have CC for the audio just like I need. 

Please advise.

Alyssa Gomez

Hi, Raising Voices! It sounds like you could use a Storyline Block to insert audio with closed captions in your course. 

First, you can replace the text-to-speech audio with your own audio. In Storyline 360, click Audio tools > Options > Replace Audio > Audio from file. Now your audio file has closed captions.

Then, export this slide to Review 360 to insert it in Rise as a Storyline block. Please let me know if that would work for you! 

David Kettle

I don't think so, but you should be able to use keyboard controls to access and toggle/activate it.

Tab and shift tab move forward and backward along items in the tab order. Space will toggle/activate the button to display the list of available captions, the up and down arrow keys let you navigate the list of captions, including the 'captions off' option and space will again toggle/activate the currently selected item.

Renz Sevilla

Hi Nisha! Good question! We don't have a list of all supported languages, but you can add any language that is UTF-8 supported. 

• If some letters or characters in your captions are unexpectedly replaced by symbols, make sure your caption files are encoded for UTF-8.
  • Closed captions won't display when you're viewing a course from your local hard drive, only when they're hosted on a web server or LMS.

For more information please see Rise 360: How to Add Closed Captioning to a Video
Renz Sevilla

Hi Nisha! Good question! We don't have a list of all supported languages, but you can add any language that is UTF-8 supported. 

• If some letters or characters in your captions are unexpectedly replaced by symbols, make sure your caption files are encoded for UTF-8.
  • Closed captions won't display when you're viewing a course from your local hard drive, only when they're hosted on a web server or LMS.

For more information please see Rise 360: How to Add Closed Captioning to a Video
David Kettle

Hi Marion,

The easiest way to convert .srt files to .vtt files that I've found is to use the https://www.webvtt.org/ website to convert the contents of the srt files.

1. You just open the .srt in a text editor
    e.g. 'notepad' in windows
  2. copy/paste the text into the website and click convert
  3. copy the converted text from the website into a text editor
  4. save and change the file type to .vtt
    e.g. in notepad, change 'Save as type' to 'All files' and add '.vtt' to the end of the File name.
Leonard Puglia

Another great online tool is https://www.happyscribe.com/

It's free and allows you to import your srt files without having to open them or copy the text.
I believe it also maintains any previous timing settings you may have had.
Make sure you use the 'Import Subtitles' option on the site.

Cheers

Kimberly Comstock

Thank you for posting, Chino! I have been working with Jose on this. He was unable to duplicate the issue and this morning, when I went to grab screenshots for the case, I found that the CC option now displays in the three browsers I tested (Chrome, Edge, and IE) - whereas it only displayed in IE yesterday. Anyway, the issue is resolved, but no clear reason as to why it happened in the first place.

That being said, how do I ensure I have the version that contains the ability to Manage Captions? Is that an auto update? Or do I need to download it? 

Renz Sevilla

Hi Mike! Thanks for letting us know you need this feature.

As a workaround, for now, I can suggest using an accordion block with the text transcription of the audio below the audio block.

We're still tracking requests for closed captioning for audio, and we'll update this thread if we have news for you all!