Poor image quality when uploading an image with Rise

Apr 10, 2017

Hello,

I created and saved-for-web a .png image in Photoshop. When I uploaded it with Rise (as a centered image in my blocks-lesson), it converted it with poor quality. Is it possible to avoid those artifacts? Looks not so good when a course is viewed on PC screen.

Thank you!

Pinned Reply
Alyssa Gomez

Hi everyone!

Do you have an image that looks blurry in Rise 360? We've designed a workaround to keep your images looking crystal clear.

If you'd like an image to keep its specific file format and not undergo compression, you can opt-out of image optimization on a case-by-case basis. Add _NOPROCESS_ to the name of your image file. It'll upload and display exactly as you saved it. Keep in mind that the 5GB file size limit still applies, and you could see an increase in your output file size.

248 Replies
Renz Sevilla

Hi Taylor! 

The _NOPROCESS_ solution doesn't accept special characters in the file name. If you've made sure there are no special characters in the name and are still having problems with the image, please open a case here. We'd like to take a look and try on our end!

Please include:

- the original image file

- a screenshot or recording showing the image quality has changed

Hazel Bartolome

Hi Maren! So sorry the quality of the image is still poor despite adding  _NOPROCESS_ to the file name. If there are no special characters in the file name, but you are still having problems with the image quality, please open a case here. One of our technical support engineers would be happy to assist you. When you submit your case please attach the original image file and a screenshot showing the poor image quality when you added it to Rise. 

Kriss Micus
Kriss Micus
Benjamin Dan

Hi there,

I understand this is quite an old thread but lately I've been having a similar issue - where image quality greatly suffers on some (but not all) uploads within a lesson.

Strangely enough I don't seem to experience it when using the "Image" blocks themselves, but rather only when inserting an image into a process card or Interactive "Hot-Spot" card. I've tried using different formats (JPEG, PNG, etc.) with transparency on as well as off, attempted to upload higher resolution images, and non of that seems to help.

I was wondering if there was any update to this issue, or if there is a known workaround/solution that I can attempt from the user side.

Alex  Bradley

Hi Roger, 

It's hard to believe that Irina Poloubessov posted this question about image quality deterioration 5 years ago! During that time there have been over 200 responses! BUT...not a solution from Articulate. I, sadly, have given up hope that Articulate will ever resolve this issue (nor do I think they really care...as 5 years testifies).

There are work-arounds for sure, including the _NOPROCESS_ option (see responses above) but that's all they are - work-arounds, NOT solutions. I tend to view a 'work-around' as 'work a bit more'.

I'd strongly suggest you try a work-around rather than wait for an Articulate solution or you may be waiting a long time!

Roger Hobbs

Hi Mitch, I have to thank those who pointed me the solution which has already been posted. There is a workaround that's quite simple: just add _NOPROCESS_ to the end of the filename before the .jpg or .png prior to uploading. This overrides the transcoding and additional compression that Rise imposes upon upload. Hope this helps!