Text entry blank in Rise

Jan 11, 2018

I'm developing some material and the project owner has asked about the feasibility of allowing end users to input text which could be reported back to our LMS. We'd then view the entered text and use the information to direct future training efforts. I had to tell the owner this isn't possible now but that I'd ask if something like this was forthcoming. Are there any plans for adding text entry as a block/interaction/quiz option?

129 Replies
Toni Hunter

Hello again,

Sorry to pester but I really think this could be quick win for Rise. I know developers make things look a lot easier than they really are but the first iteration of his feature could be really simple.

A block that allows the learner to enter text. It doesn't have to be scored or validated. It just needs to be saved and completed when text is entered so we can use the continue block to reveal feedback.

I know you have a lot on but the requests for this have been pretty consistent since Rise was released.

From an education stand point giving learners the time and space to reflect on their learning has been proven to be a valuable tool.

I have limited technical experience but give one of your developers day or two and I am sure they could put this together.

Please, please, please.

James 

Robert Church

I agree

Get Outlook for iOS

This message (including any attachments) is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is non-public, proprietary, privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law or may constitute as attorney work product. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, notify us immediately by telephone and (i) destroy this message if a facsimile or (ii) delete this message immediately if this is an electronic communication.

Michael Russell

This enhancement is one that would make a huge difference for everyone. While Storyline is great for what it does, the fact that it is not truly responsive is a big shortcoming for me. I would love to see Articulate focus on enhancing the capabilities, feature sets and functionality in their Rise360 product, starting with the ability to enter and save text entries.

Joel Bialek

So, I found a not-too-bad workaround for capturing text in Rise, using a Storyline block, but it's using an LxP in my case. 

I created text-response questions in Storyline, then published as xAPI and uploaded to our LxP as an e-learning asset.  Once that asset is on our LxP, I can share it, which gives me an embed code.  I then use the embed code to embed a web object in Rise (not the Storyline block method.) 

When previewing the embed in Rise, it perpetually loads, since our LxP needs a user to be signed-in to view content.  No worries, because then I publish the Rise course as xAPI, and upload that to our LxP as an asset. 

Now, when viewing the Rise course on our LxP, since I'm signed in already, I can progress through the module, and the Storyline block loads seamlessly, since my user info is already authenticated and both assets are on the same platform. 

The end result of all this, is that not only does the Storyline block return a basic text response, but ALL its xAPI statements are sent as well (properly coded to the same user/actor and everything!)

I hope this helps some of you in the meantime, and I'd be curious if it works through regular LMS channels.

Joel

Robert Church

Hey guys
I still need this too. Lots of great ideas here for a work around but I really need a simple, built-in function for this. Also need it to use LMS storage, cookies won’t work for me.

Thanks for keeping this on your list and thanks to everyone who posted cool work arounds. They are cool.

Get Outlook for iOS

This message (including any attachments) is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is non-public, proprietary, privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law or may constitute as attorney work product. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, notify us immediately by telephone and (i) destroy this message if a facsimile or (ii) delete this message immediately if this is an electronic communication.

Kim Waldron

I definitely need this feature.  This is probably going to be the deal breaker for continuing to use articulate for our organisation.  Is there anything on the horizon for this feature please?  We just need the learner to be able to reply to a question(s) with free text, no correct answer, that they can also look back on themselves as they are activities that will be discussed and covered again later.

Alyssa Gomez

Hi there, Kim. Thanks for sharing how important this feature is for your team. We'll certainly let you know if we add this option to Rise 360 in the future.

For now, your best bet is to embed a form from a third-party tool (like Google Forms or Survey Monkey) using a Multimedia Embed block. 

Use this iFrame code format for easy embedding:

<iframe src="URL HERE"></iframe>

Natalie Graham

Just jumping in to say that I'd also love to have a text entry knowledge check activity with the option to add feedback after the question is answered. Even better if it can connect to LMS. 

Right now I'm adding them as Storyline blocks as well, but this is very time consuming and the blocks often look out of place among the Rise content.