Articulate 360 and VR

Apr 20, 2017

Hi - Im just really here for some advice from you sage people really :)

This might be a bit of a weird question, as Im just beginning to look at incorporating VR elements into our eLearning. 

I have Articulate 360 and I am considering producing 360 videos and possibly some AR stuff for a project Im about to start.

It will be all hosted on an LMS, but Im unsure about how Storyline connects/works alongside any 360 video element.

Does VR / 360 video require a separate player?  If the course is built in Storyline, but includes separate VR elements - how do these work together? Can they work together?

If that all sounds a bit vague Im sorry, Im just trying to piece out how these things pair up, as the project ideally should have lots of interesting aspects to it.

Thanks for your help!

40 Replies
Maria Costa-Stienstra

Hi, everyone!

I have exciting news to share!
We just released another update for Storyline 360. In Update 54, we’ve included important fixes and new features.

One of the features we’ve included is:

Create immersive learning experiences with 360° images. Add interactive elements, such as hotspots and markers to engage learners as they explore.

360° images are currently in public beta for Storyline 360, which means you can use them for production as we continue to enhance them.

To take advantage of this feature, launch the Articulate 360 desktop app on your computer and click the Update button next to Storyline 360. You'll find our step-by-step instructions here.

Please let us know if you have any questions by posting here or directly reaching out to our Support Engineers

Tyler Braddick

Hi Stefan and Mark,

Mark is correct that 360° video and VR video support are different from 360° images. 

With Update 54, we have released support for 360° images. You can always let us know your support for 360° video, VR, and other features by submitting a feature request.

We have had some community discussions around embedding 360° videos and VR objects into Storyline projects using Web Objects. I hope these help!

How to embed 360-degree video from YouTube into Storyline 360

You Too Can Have Virtual Reality in Your Articulate Courses

Also, be sure to keep an eye on our What's New, What's Next page! 

Mark Dowman
Annie Kim

Hi Stefan, 

There isn't a specific trigger that can do that on the same image/slide, but one potential workaround would be to add a trigger that will jump to a new slide that has the same image with a different initial view point set. 

Yes, that's the current workaround. It does mean maintaining both slides with any content updates.

I see that the x/y rotational degrees are being tracked, as a start point is selected. I'd be great to specify a x/y coordinate as a 'jump to' target. That or an invisible object as target.

Maria Costa-Stienstra

Hi, Muhammad.

Thank you for reaching out!

Can you describe what you're looking for when you say VR project? 

In Storyline, you can create a 360° image the user can interact with, and you can add markers and hotspots. Take a look at the resources below:

I hope this helps!