Grade not reporting in CANVAS

Feb 19, 2020

CANVAS is not displaying the grade after a learner completes the lesson. An "X" is displayed as a grade instead of a checkmark. Our Storyline file has the following settings:

• SCORM 2004 3rd edition
  • Report status to LMS as passed/incomplete
  • Track using number of slides viewed

Once the SCORM file is uploaded to CANVAS it's setup as a graded file and the display grade on the assignment is complete/incomplete.

As a test, we uploaded the zip file to SCORM Cloud and the file worked correctly.

After not having any luck, we tried adding a complete course button to Storyline which would replace the "track using number of slides viewed" setting, but the results in CANVAS were still the same.....the lesson was not graded. There was an "X" in the grade instead of a checkmark. 

Any help is greatly appreciated!  

78 Replies
Leslie McKerchie

Hello Maj, and welcome to E-Learning Heroes. 😊

Thanks for reaching out and sharing what you are currently experiencing in your LMS.

I'd recommend uploading to another LMS, such as SCORM Cloud. This will help identify if the issue lies within your LMS or within the project file. If you are able to replicate in SCORM Cloud, we'd be happy to take a look.

Meriem Chida

Hi Maj - I don't know how you set up your storyline lecture - but please open your lecture in storyline - then click on the last slide and make sure that the trigger is set to report upon complition and not upon clicking exit if you don't have an exit slide - I had this issue because I skipped training during COVID and it drove me insane - as I tried everything you tried. But it turned out I simply had to align the trigger with the grade reporting.... Sorry I know you don't want to hear this but unless you reprogram your entire lecture package you will need to enter grades manually.  I had to delete all the SCORM lectures and re-upload the correct ones... If you don't have time now, you might want to consider making the time to update all your lectures during Christmas break or summer which I did.... I regretted skipping the training LOL

Derrick MacGillivray EdD

The issues seemed to clear up, especially after the introduction of cmi5. Now they've cropped back up again. This time it appears to be an issue with student accessing Canvas and the SCORM-based assignment on an iPad. This is despite SCORM Cloud and the test student in Canvas both showing no issues and reporting correctly.

I've literally been dealing with this for over 3 years. I have spoken with both Articulate and Canvas support (online and in person at conferences) with no success. I'll post again when/if I get more info - that is if the nursing faculty I build these for don't lynch me first.

Li  Chen

Hi All, 

I have similar issues and am still unable to transfer grades to canvas. 

I tried: 

Scorm 2004 4th edition

Scorm 2003 3rd edition 

Scorm 1.2 

LMS reporting had tried 

all the settings. 

In Sakai, I'm able to see all grades using SCORM 2004 3rd edition and completed/failed. 

Just wondering what settings work for you. 

Thanks!