71 Replies
Emily Lloyd

Hi Alyssa - thanks so much for the response. 

They do not currently have Articulate 360 so we cannot send a copy. They also require a version that can be backed up offline (per the contract) that is considered an editable source file. For example, we couldn't deliver a PDF of a PowerPoint, we'd have to deliver the actual PowerPoint file to meet the contractual obligation. This is common with our contracts. Is there any other option?

David Tait

If it was possible to send a package to a client that they could store for safe-keeping, I think it would solve many of the issues that we are facing. Personally, I don't think it is a problem that the files can only be edited in the future using Rise, or that the client will need a subscription to do so. The same can be said for many software programmes. You need the software to edit the output. I think it is important that people remember this when they hope to be able to edit the files without Rise.

One of the problems that I think needs to be solved is that at the moment, if a client wants the Rise source files but has no intention of using Rise themselves, we're effectively telling them that they need to subscribe to Articulate 360 for the privilege of owning their own source files. Unless the client is planning on using any of the 360 suite (many don't have the skillset, resources or desire), then they are paying quite a hefty fee to use only the hosting aspect of the suite.

I think if a client comes to us (the developer) and states that they want to use Rise, we can work within the current parameters because they have identified the software and are most likely aware of the source file limitations. It becomes more difficult when we are the ones who are recommending the authoring tool we'd like to use. In Emily's case, recommending Rise doesn't sound possible because she'll look as though she hasn't paid attention to the contract details if she suggests using an authoring tool that doesn't output archivable source files. Another example of where this might be difficult is if we are responding to an RFP. If the tender document states that source files must be provided on completion of the project, then again, it could rule out using Rise.

In summary, most professionals accept that they're tied to certain software to create and edit their work, but the provision of source files to their customers is an essential part of day-to-day life. The source files don't have to be provided in a form that they can edit using a third-party authoring tool, they just need to be in a form that enables them to be uploaded back in to Rise if the client ever wants to subscribe to 360 in order to edit them.

Emily Lloyd

I agree with David.

I think this is bit a dangerous precedent to set, the client delivery issue aside. In a way you are also  telling people that they don't own their own source files because we can't extract them from the product. Unless we maintain a subscription, we don't really own our own source files. 

Kimberly Goh

I agree with David as well. I'm a big fan of Articulate, but it concerns me that this Rise limitation is not more widely known. If I hadn't come across this thread, I could have easily recommended Rise  to one of my clients, only to find out later that they would need to pay an annual subscription fee just to store the source files.

Thomas Doty

It seems like this has been something that subscribers have been looking to be changed for a while: 

https://community.articulate.com/discussions/rise-360/downloading-rise-course-for-backup

https://community.articulate.com/discussions/rise-360/back-up-rise-courses

https://community.articulate.com/discussions/rise-360/saving-rise-source-files-to-local-hard-drive

A means of downloading and re-uploading source files (or some type of Rise specific packet/zip) into Rise should be a feature that exists.

I know that you "don't currently have any plans to allow you to export the source files," but when people have been requesting this feature for so long... why don't you have plans for this?

Thomas Doty
David Tait

In summary, most professionals accept that they're tied to certain software to create and edit their work, but the provision of source files to their customers is an essential part of day-to-day life. The source files don't have to be provided in a form that they can edit using a third-party authoring tool, they just need to be in a form that enables them to be uploaded back in to Rise if the client ever wants to subscribe to 360 in order to edit them.

Agreed.

SibaPrasad Padhi

I appreciate this discussion thread as downloading source files from Rise as eprep package should be a option that Articulate should provide to its customers. This way the package can be upload to the Rise framework to make an update of the course. Can Articulate start a effort in this direction to download the source package in what ever method so that could help us to edit it after some time without a subscription.

HITC eLearning

Hi Alyssa,

I think it’s been more than two years since the source files issue has arisen and we are going in circles around the issue without really trying to touch it.
We are also having the same issue as many others above with the source files of Rise360. We have trusted Articulate and it’s products so many years now for their quality and reliability, as well as the great product support, Training and community. 
I am sure all of us we use the product because we love it every day, but we don’t like to feel ”locked” and restricted when it comes to use our own source files. 
I have confidence that Articulate will find a solution that will benefit both sides. 
Thank you. 

SibaPrasad Padhi

Hi Ashley, 

we as admin need to have access all the team member work area, to manage work as well as resources.

may be you can creat a super admin for the team account to access their individual work area.

can Articulate include this feature to the team admin account users.

Carrie Walker-Boyd

I'm glad I found this thread...even the ablity to 'store' a Rise course as Storyline file, in a rudimentary way, that can be uploaded back into Rise.  Woudl that be a quicker way to a resolution here?  Some way to provide a source file NOT tied to an ongoing, uninterrupted subscription especially in the case of consulting with external clients. 

Mhairi Longmuir

This is a huge limitation to this software, and probably means loads of companies just can't use Rise, even though they want to. Basically it means that you always need to have an active subscription, in order to edit files. This is such a greedy business model, and I'd even say that it reflects quite badly on the company. I bloody love your software, and all my clients love it aswell. But, come on guys, it's a bit unethical really.

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Kristina,

I mentioned you can export a Rise 360 course for Web. This will generate an output file that you can store on your hard drive as a backup.

Should you ever need to use the backup file in the future, just host it on a web server, or unzip the file and view the index.html file offline. There isn't a way to upload the output file back into Rise 360, but you can always use it to create a new course.

Katie Ryan Fotiadis

Interested in an update from Articulate regarding the issues brought up in this thread: working with clients and using Rise by saving a source file, as well as utilizing an active subscription to re-access and edit source files.  This would be extremely useful in my ability to utilize Rise as an authoring tool.

Sarah Davis

Checking in here to see if there have been any updates on this. I am trying to share exported source files with a client and discovered that it doesn't seem to be possible. Is this still the case? I've gone through may threads and can't seem to find a lot of information on it. Any help would be super appreciated!

Thanks!