Can I slow down the audio voice selected in Storyline 360?

Jun 07, 2018

I am using one of the audio voice pre-loaded in Storyline 360 and it seems they are all speaking very fast.  Is there a way to slow their speech?

Pinned Reply
Eric Santos

Hi, everyone!

I have some great news to share. We just released another update for Storyline 360. In Update 83, we've included important fixes and new features!

One of the new features we've included:

Launch the Articulate 360 desktop app on your computer to take advantage of this update, and click the Update button next to Storyline 360. You'll find our step-by-step instructions here.

Please let me know if you need additional help!

182 Replies
Rhonda Rolf

Adding my name to this thread as i am not aware if this is resolved, i dont think so, and want updates too.  This is not just a preference issue, it is also an accessibility issue for many learners.  We need the following things:

1. developer ability to adjust speed of text to speech as a whole (like other say, adding punctuation only helps with that instance, the person as a whole needs to slow down)

2. give a player option so the consumer/learner can adjust the speed faster or slower (like they do in YouTube)

3.  is there a phonetics dictionary we can have for pronunciation?  this is especially important for names and uncommon words.  right now i guess at phonetic spellings and try multiple different spelling options (10-15 in a recent case) to find one that sounds closer to what we need

I always provide the transcript for my learners, but some still complain about the speed even though they have transcript available with same content.

Robert Hambrick

I would like to add my story to this thread.  I work for the federal government, so content accessibility is a fundamental requirement for our courses.  As Rhonda mentioned, this is not a preference; it is a requirement.

I believe Rhonda's suggestions would make Storyline a better product, so I hope Articulate will prioritize this request for development.

Leslie McKerchie

Hello Tavia, and welcome to E-Learning Heroes. 😊

Thanks for reaching out and sharing that you would like to see this feature added as well.

The ability for learners to speed up/slow down audio and video playback is still an open request with our team, and this conversation is attached so that we can share updates with you here.

I wanted to share some information about how we manage these feature requests, which may be helpful. 

Lori Filz

Adding my vote for this feature request to control the speed of the speech in the TTS voices provided in Storyline too!  They speak very fast.  Looks like it's been out there as a feature request for a few years now based on community posts.  I'm hoping the speed control feature for TTS voices is added very soon.

Joseph Gilbert

Yes to more voice choices.

Thanks, in advance,

Joseph Gilbert
Division Manager (Process Development & Improvement | Strategic Learning)

[Description: HCDD Logo.png]City of Houston | Housing and Community Development | Planning & Grants Management
Office: 832.394.6407 | Cell: 346.337.3734
Address: 2100 Travis, 4th floor, Houston, TX 77002
Web: houstontx.gov/housing | Email: Joseph.Gilbert@houstontx.gov

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager. This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing, or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.

Francisco Castro

Aaah! So sad this feature does not yet exist.  I would like to not only slow down/speed up the voice but have the ability to insert voice fluctuations. I tried using italics hoping it would make a difference but it didn't.  I'd be great to be able to use characters for that, an __ for a pause, ! for emphasis, etc.

Claire Oldham

Adding my name to the list. I am an online developer and a client requested for our students to have this option. Agreed with the comments for all students, English speaking and non-English speaking, or is not the students first language can be difficult in any language -- so the need to find that happy medium for all. Please and thank you.