Can I slow down the audio voice selected in Storyline 360?

Jun 07, 2018

I am using one of the audio voice pre-loaded in Storyline 360 and it seems they are all speaking very fast.  Is there a way to slow their speech?

Pinned Reply
Eric Santos

Hi, everyone!

I have some great news to share. We just released another update for Storyline 360. In Update 83, we've included important fixes and new features!

One of the new features we've included:

Launch the Articulate 360 desktop app on your computer to take advantage of this update, and click the Update button next to Storyline 360. You'll find our step-by-step instructions here.

Please let me know if you need additional help!

182 Replies
Luciana Piazza

Hello Everyone!

I'm happy to share that we have released Storyline 360 version 72 (Build 3.72.29654.0).

Included in this release is a new feature where you can let learners explore at their own pace by choosing a course playback speed between 0.25x and 2x.

Now all you need to do is update Storyline 360 in your Articulate 360 desktop app on your computer. You'll find our step-by-step instructions here.

Please let us know if you have any questions by reaching out to our Support Engineers directly.

Have a great day!

Morgan Lehnhardt

Agreed with prior commenters - this is not what was being requested. As the creator of the course, I need the ability to adjust the speed on speech-to-text so it is not speaking too quickly. 

This should be something that I can do as the creator, so learners do not have to rewind the course to catch all the information, or try to figure out how to adjust the speech speed (which let's be honest - many can't/won't), or the most likely result - they will simply miss that information. 

The course should require no changes on behalf of the learner. I should be doing all of that on the front end and able to make sure the speed is appropriate when I publish the course.

Michael Marcos

Thank you for this Morgan!

I understand that this discussion is mostly around the capability to adjust the playback speed for TTS voices, but a handful of ELH members in this thread have also asked for variable playback speed on the learner side and this is why we chose to share what Update 72 offers here. Rest assured we are aware that the variable player speed is not a solution to the TTS-related use cases and are still keeping track of folks asking for this.

I will continue to advocate the need to improve TTS functionality on everyone's behalf. Your continuous participation in our community is invaluable in bringing to light the problems that we need to solve. 

Sincerely, 

Michael Marcos

Customer Support Product Liaison

John Morgan

Hi Ben,

Thanks for checking in on this! I understand you are looking for an update on the ability to slow down the speed of TTS voices. There currently hasn't been any movement on this as we prioritize other features. I'm going to include your voice in the request. We’ll update this discussion when there is any news to share about this.

Julie  Taylor

Hi features team,
I too love the text to speech feature however, am desperate to have further functional controls over pace, annunciations and tones of voice used. Also would be really super to have some improvements to the Australian accents as only Olivia sounds natural the other two are very robotic and monotone which limits us to really only one usable voice. 

Julie  Taylor

Thank you Jurgen,
I have read the AWS information. Do you know if it is possible to enter the element tags (commands) into the text to speech field in Storyline and have them enacted? I have tried but every time the command is read as part of the text rather than applied to the way it is spoken.  Not sure what I am missing or is it that the script must be produced using the AWS console and then imported into Storyline?