Fuzzy text and images SL360 in Chrome

Nov 28, 2016

I am trying out SL360 and I run into a very ugly problem. When using Chrome (version 54.0.2840.99 m) the sharpness of text and images go from very blurry to sharp depending on the size of my browser window. IE11 neither SL2 has this problem. 

I do want the ability to scale the output (player options, Player size: Scale player to fill browser window). Does anyone know this problem and how to overcome this?

199 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi _CyberDirekt, 

Please check your junk/spam folder, as my colleague Chip sent out a note to you last week. You may need to allowlist the @articulate.com email domain as well. 

Anji, just a note-   Replying via email will include your signature. You can edit out your contact information from your post if you'd like!  

Hi Cyber, 

While I can say we're working hard to fix this, I do not have an update on when it will be ready to be released. I'm sorry. If I have any new information to share, we'll be sure to share here. 

This issue is something we take very seriously and is a large undertaking, so we're working to fix it as soon as we can.
Maciej Masior

hello,
"Fixed: Courses are no longer blurry when you preview them in Storyline or view the HTML5 output in Google Chrome."
- Yes its true, but when you use slide transition (fade in my case) or use some kind of animation ("fade in" in my case) on texy or picture, blur is still there :(

I was so happy about this fix but it's worse then it was before:/

Now when you have audio track on slide or even on slide layer and you lunch your course, the very 1st thing that you see is strange big play button. You must press it to lunch your course - it's unacceptable for me. (it's happening only locally on Chrome, on LMS it's fine)

Second problem after latest update is: Im using on every slide object to simulate a frame of my course. Now this frame is cut and you can't see right and buttom edge of it. 8 pixels from the right and 4 pixels from the bottom of the stage are cut out. (on preview or preview in Chrome after publish in HTML5).

I hope you guys can fix these problems fast...

Mark Wilson

I've been testing the latest update and I can say that there is a massive improvement in the text display on some fonts. Some fonts are not perfect but definitely passable. I'm very happy about this!

Unfortunately though this has created another issue where the borders have been separated from the slides :-(

I've made a new thread for that as it is a new issue: https://community.articulate.com/discussions/articulate-storyline/june-2018-update-bug-course-borders#reply-529142

Hi Maciej,

Thanks for sharing a copy of your .story file.

The play button you're seeing at the start was implemented a couple updates ago to deal with the new autoplay media rules implemented by Chrome and Safari. You can read a bit more about that here.

As for the blurriness, I took a look at your course and published it here using Update 3.17.16168.0 which was released Friday afternoon to handle a few issues that popped up on Tuesday. It does look to have fixed the issue with your border frame too, and you can view the version I published here.

I'm seeing some blurriness at the end of your text lines on slide 1. Does that match what you're seeing? Let me know and I'll take a deeper look at this. Also it does look like you're using modern text on those slides? 

Thanks, Stephen! We're still catching up from last week - but we'll take a look at your file as soon as possible. 

Also, for anyone else subscribed to this discussion please let us know how the changes and fix for courses that were  blurry when you preview them in Storyline or view the HTML5 output in Google Chrome is behaving for you. It was included in Update 17, which you can download and install using your 360 Desktop tray application. 

Maciej Masior

Hi Ashley,

The play button appeared after June 19 update (Build 3.17.16117.0), there was no such thing before this update. I have a copy of course published on June 18 and its fine - no play button at all. So on 100% update from june 19 mess up something.

As for the blurriness in my example, Whole slide is blured, no only the end of text lines. It probably depends on the screen resolution (scaling), then the blur is bigger or smaller, but it is always there. As I wrote earlier, it's not just about text. All objects (photos, shapes etc.) are blurred if some animation is applied, or the slide transition animation is enabled, then the entire slide is blurred, regardless of whether there are animations on the objects or not. The first slide has animations and a transition, the second one doesn't. You can see the difference with the naked eye.

PS. yes, the border frame problem is fixed in Chrome, but other new things appeared this time in Edge: https://community.articulate.com/discussions/articulate-storyline/storyline-360-stage-frame-cut-off-problem-on-edge

Hi Maciej, 

Had you done the previous updates of 15 and 16? The play button was introduced in Update 15 to account for the changes in Chrome's autoplay, as detailed here. If you were using an earlier version of Storyline and/or Chrome it would explain not seeing the play button till now. 

I'm sorry I'm not able to replicate the blurriness, but I tested on my laptop screen and a larger external monitor and still didn't notice it. This time the end of the text didn't appear blurry to me either...that's always the challenge with these types of issues is all our eyes see things differently. Since you're still seeing it, I'm going to start a case for you so that we can get a few more eyes on your course. You'll see a notification from Support@articulate.com shortly. 

We'll take a look at your other post too and respond there! 

Maciej Masior

Hi Ashley,
I always have the current (updated) version of SL360 (i'm using it every working day) and Chrome, so it's strange... This play button definitely appeared after June 19 update.

This blurriness with animated objects/slide transition occurs even in SL360 preview.
It can be seen better when you scale course down I think.

Hi Maciej,

I also see that Wilbert reached out to you so that we can try and compare copies of this course and a  Peek of what you're seeing vs. what we're seeing. I understand that you're still seeing this and find that it's clearly visible regardless of animations, previewing or scaling, but sharing any additional screenshots, screen recordings and files will be the best option to demonstrate the problem so we can document a defect and work on a fix based on that. 

Feel free to let Wilbert or me know if you need anything else. 

Katie Riggio

Hey, folks. We know how frustrating this blur issue was and can be for a course author, as the goal is to have high-quality work–both visually and contextually–so we truly appreciate your voices in this discussion.

That said, I'm really excited to let you know that we've just released Update 5 for Storyline 3check out all the new fixes and features here! Thanks to your support, courses should no longer appear blurry when you preview them in Storyline 3 or view the HTML5 output in Chrome. 

Here’s where you can install and update Storyline 3 to see everything this update has to offer. Let us know what you think ..and if you're still seeing blurriness, please let us know!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.